Oil Pressure on 2003 Volvo 4.3 GL-A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnoldsw

Cadet
I have a 2003 Monterey Montura LS 190 Bowrider with a Volvo Penta 4.3 L GL-A engine, sterndrive SX-M.

I am running Castrol GTX 20W50 (which is actually one of the options in the operator manual for temperatures over 32F - I am actually in the Orlando area, which is pretty hot.) I am running with a Fram Oil filter that has been correctly cross referenced. On my previous oil change, I ran with the correct Volvo part number and the results were the same as what I am posting now.

I am getting really low oil pressure readings - sometimes less than 10 PSI at idle when the engine has warmed. I also am getting around 30 psi even at rpms over 3000, let's say 4000 - 4400.

I saw a post for a Volvo 5.7L GSI that recommended the owner remove the oil sensor and attach a mechanical gauge.

Can someone please give me fairly detailed instructions on how to do this with my 4.3L? I would need to know where it is located, when and how to remove it, what kind of mechanical pressure gauge to buy, etc. I have the engine workshop manual and it does not mention the sensor.

Anchor Management 1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil Pressure on 2003 Volvo 4.3 GL-A

If your oil filer is on the engine not a remote adaptor,It is just above the filter on the port side with 1 push on wire going to it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Installing a mechanical gauge is a testing method to verify whether or not you really have a problem. Mechanical gauges have a plastic tube that runs from a compression fitting where the electrical oil pressure sender was installed to the gauge. You then run the engine to see if the mechanical gauge agrees within a few PSI of the electrical. If it does, put the electrical stuff back and fix the issue. If it shows normal oil pressure, replace the sender as it is likely the cause. 10 PSI at idle after a long hard run is not abnormal provided it rises a little as the engine idles and oil cools down. Oil pressure on a GM small block V8 is considered normal if it is about 10PSI/1000 RPM. At 3000 rpm 30 PSI would still be considered normal although the V6 and V8 typically show values in the 40 - 50 PSI range.

Arnoldsw

Cadet

OK. Thanks for the quick replies.

I believe I know where the sensor is located. I need to mention that I am constantly running at a good operating temperature. I see a little rise after high RPM running and then dropping down and then to an idle, but the temp never goes above about 160 - 165.

I saw higher pressure readings last year. That is one of my major concerns. I would think that 20W 50 oil would give higher pressure readings than lower weight multi-viscoties. The authorized Volvo repair shiop did an oil change using 10W 40 about two years ago and I had higher pressure readings back then.

I suppose it is time for the mechanical gauge. Can someone reccomend a brand of mechanical gauge and I do not need to drain the oil prior to removing the sensor and putting the mechanical gauge on, correct? If I do need a new sensor, what is the difference between a dual station sensor and just a sensor?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I used to have lower pressure readings on my engine when I used non synthetic oil. As the oil got older my pressure would go down when the engine was warmed up and at idle. With synthetic oil, my oil pressure remains more stable all through the life of the oil.

Fun Times

Staff member

Hi here is something to read about oil and filters, Some of it might be {BS} But I thougt post #10 was intersting a little. From what I have heard most of the volvo engines would like you to run sterait 30w oil only, and that being the case that should help bring up you oil peressure if you really do have a problem. GM standerd oil pressure is 4[psi] up to 80[psi] Now you might just have a bad oil sending unit or a bad gauge also. Also it could be the oil level is to low or to hi that could also give bad readings. You could have the wrong filter on or a bad filter on. The oil by pass valve might not be working right, And that is located in the block right where you would install the filter and maybe something is not lined up right letting the bypass valve do it's job right. So you might need a new filter. Or maybe the oil pump pick up has fallen off the pump. And just picking up enough to do a job.:eek: Well here is a few ideas to work with if you want to Good luck with it. And try looking over this link for some other ideas, But I may have coverd most of them here.:)http://www.performanceboats.com/html/forums/showthread.php?t=38440

Arnoldsw

Cadet

I forgot to mention this:

When I changed the oil a couple of days ago. I put the boat on the muffs and was getting around 35psi at idle for several minutes and got up to operating temperature. The moment I drop the boat in the water and start it on my trailer, I get maybe 20psi cold and in idle. It only dropped from there at idle. Any thoughts?

Fun Times

Staff member

I forgot to mention this:

When I changed the oil a couple of days ago. I put the boat on the muffs and was getting around 35psi at idle for several minutes and got up to operating temperature. The moment I drop the boat in the water and start it on my trailer, I get maybe 20psi cold and in idle. It only dropped from there at idle. Any thoughts?
Did It drop to 20 when you put it in gear if yes then it is because your idle speed went down under load, And if not in gear yet and just in the water and boat is just off the trailer in the water then the oil level has changed and could be low, You should recheck oil level when in the water at rest or try to level the boat while on the trailer for your second best readings. Sounds like the oil move away from the oil pick up for some reson, Maybe the oil pick up tube fell off, If that is the case then a quick test would be to over fill the oil pan with one qt with the engine running and see is the PSI goes up, If it dose then all you would be doing is sumerging the pick up tube and getting better oil flow, BUT DO NOT RUN IT THIS WAY FOR LONG, And get the extra qt of oil out ASAP. If you do this test. Have you tryed A new oil sending unit or gauge first yet???:eek:

Arnoldsw

Cadet

Just to close this thread out for others.

I removed the pressure sensor that is above the oil filter (witch is actually the oil pressure switch and independent of the oil pressure sensor that controls the gauge, I found out later) and hooked a manual pressure gauge to it. I got a reading around 40 psi on muffs on the trailer). I then purchased another switch from my local boat tree still thinking it was controling the gauge. When I went there, they informed me that the actual sensor that controls the gauge is at the top of the engine to the right and slighly behind the distributor. I bought both parts.

The switch controls the horn if the pressure drops too low. I replaced the switch and attempted to remove the sensor. After taking off a throttle rod to get to the sensor and having no luck due to cramped space and the fact that an elbow joint fitting was the fitting that actually started to break free (I did not want this elbow fitting to break free, I wanted the sensor to break free), I decided to just leave it in place and unscrew the nut that clamps the wire for the gauge. I lossened the nut, cleaned the wire to the gauge, and reinstalled the nut and then the throttle rod.

Cranked it up on muffs again and low and behold, the gauge read EXACTLY what my manual gauge read when I had it in the fitting to the switch.
Thanks to all who helped me out on this one, me being a newbie and not very familair with engines.

JAYCAN

Recruit

I have a 2003 Maraiah 245 Deck Boat that has a 5.7 ltr engine Volvo Penta. I was idleing on a river a few weeks ago when all of a sudden my engin alarm went crazy. I pulled over and lifted the engine housing and noticed the bottome full of engine oil. I managed to get to the filter and take it off and it appeared as if over the last thre times I had my boat engine oil changed the filter had not and was rusted and had holes in it. I took it off and replcaed it top my oil off and headed back to the dock.

I cleaned the compartment out when I got the boat back home, ran it while it was flushing and all appeared fine. I took it out this past weekend and ran it for a while when the same thing happened. This time I saw oil again but filter was tight but was somewhat wet with oil at the top where it screws in.

What could be causing the blow out or loss of oil. This time the oil only leaked a little bit but my oil pressure gauage is at 10 to 15 and when throttle is up the pressure goes up at idle it drops to 10.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:

gozierdt

Petty Officer 1st Class

JC,

You really should start your own thread, taking one over by adding your own question not related directly to the OP's question is called "hijacking".

But in answer to your question, are you sure you got the old gasket off when you took the old filter off? It's not unusual for the old gasket to stick to the engine adapter when you unscrew the old filter. Then you have two gaskets pushing together with oil between. They often slip completely apart (lose all oil pressure), or allow some leakage. I'd pull your new filter and check you don't have two gaskets in there. Probably best to replace the new filter with a newer filter when you do. Clean the sealing surface on the engine adapter well, then put some oil on the new gasket and screw it down to touching + 1 turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.