89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxum247

Lieutenant
Re: 89maxum cuddy/to bowrider/to center console conversion

Been hard at it on the boat today.
If you recall a couple of weeks ago I had used a 3/4" wood cheisel to remove most of the carpet glue from the interior hull sides of my boat.
I had thought sanding would take care of the rest of the carpet glue, but was I wrong, those little 1/8" and 1/4" glue spats in the cloth held tight. I tried several different grits of sand paper and sanding just wasn't doing the job. So I went to Sears yesterday and purchased a 3" Crimped Wire Cup Brush for my drill and gave that a try, the Cup Brush took the glue spats off real nice, it took some elbow grease and about two hours, which wasn't bad considering how much time I had already spent trying to remove the glue spats prior, best $5 I've spent in awhile.
I still have some touch up sanding to do and a few air bubbles in the fiberglass to repair where the deck meets the hull from some previous glass work I had done on the deck.
The finish on the interior hull is turning out better than I had expected, as everything was covered with carpet prior and the fiberglass was a little rough in some area's with the carpet removed so I faired those with my grinder and finish sander.

max

bear_69cuda

Commander

Heya Max,

Wire cup brushin if FUN isn't it! :D I swear getting rid of the adhesive was like flippin war. Can't wait to see paint brutha! Good work dude!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I've srarted work on the starboard side gunwale on the center console. I decided to extend the transom part of the gunwale by several inches so that if I decide to box in the transom I will have plenty of room under there for a battery or whatever I decide to use the space for. I used PL adhesive and stainless screws to do the fastening work.

max

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 043.jpg
    Picture 043.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 052.jpg
    Picture 052.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 059.jpg
    Picture 059.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant

Worked on the Port gunwale today for a few hours and it's coming along pretty good. First and second picture's show the transom cap being extended for storage purpose's, last picture shows the port gunwale ready for interior trim to be added.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 036.jpg
    Picture 036.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 132.jpg
    Picture 132.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1

maxum247

Lieutenant

I made some decisions today about how I am going to finish my boat for now. This has been a project for 5 years now, in which time it has gone from a cuddy cabin to a bowrider to a center console, in the midst of all this I've not been able to use the boat in the last two or so years, so I've decided not do any detailed remodeling this spring like closing in the transom unless I find I have to due to motor weight/torque with the new design being open at the transom and the seats removed, rod holders won't be added until later, no storage will be added at this time, etc. Just going to build the gunwales and bowcap for this season, brace them good, fiberglass the gunwales, prime them good and go from there, a rolling restoration if you will.

max!

bear_69cuda

Commander

Hey Max,

Looking killer! Gunwales are awesome, I dig how the lines flow around the boat. It's gonna be awesome glassed in!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Max I just read through your thread and have to say thats quite a project. I hd an idea for the inside of your boat that would make it a uniform color and also slip resistant in one fairly easy step. Bedliner paint you can buy it in Gallon cans at most autoparts stores .

Rick

maxum247

Lieutenant

Hey Max,

Looking killer! Gunwales are awesome, I dig how the lines flow around the boat. It's gonna be awesome glassed in!

I'm getting kind of excited to see the end results at this point but it will be a while yet, as you know work comes first.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Max I just read through your thread and have to say thats quite a project. I hd an idea for the inside of your boat that would make it a uniform color and also slip resistant in one fairly easy step. Bedliner paint you can buy it in Gallon cans at most autoparts stores .

Rick

I've considered useing bedliner, but at this time I haven't really decided what I will use in the end. Have a great day!

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

I am in the process of preparing the gunwales on my boat for fiberglass. In the picture you can see where the gelcoat has been removed to give the fiberglass a surface to adhear to.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 231.jpg
    Picture 231.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Today I added the wood work that will dress the interior sides of the gunwales and give them support.
I still have to finish triming across the transom area and around the splashwell.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 243.jpg
    Picture 243.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

I finished the trim around the splashwell and transom today. Well almost, I still have some screw holes to fill and some sanding to do.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 252.jpg
    Picture 252.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

I filled the screw holes in the washboards and the splashwell trim and made fillets for the interior trim corners of the transom and splashwell so the fiberglass cloth will wrap around the corners easier.
I had some extra time so I glassed in the aft section of washboards with the first of two layers of cloth. I used some Walmart cloth that I had on hand for now just to get it covered and weather proof.
After the resin dried I hand blocked the washboards preparing them for the next layer of cloth. Not sure what weight that will be yet.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 332.jpg
    Picture 332.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

I know it doesn't look like much has been done on the boat lately but I had to do a fair amount of work to get the fiberglass gunnel on the starboard side to match the shape of the gunwale on the port side of the boat. The gunwale on the port side layed down like it should but the gunwale on the starboard side wanted to stand up as you can see in the first picture. The gunnel was out of shape about 3/4 of an inch on the starboard side, so a lot of cutting and shapeing of the bowcap plywood and pulling the fiberglass gunnel into place with screws had to be done for the two sides to match.
It actually took two afternoons to get the bowcap and gunwale glued and fastened into place and a lot of figureing on the best way to correct the problem. In the end I think it turned out pretty good.
Here's a couple of picture's before pulling in the fiberglass gunnel and a picture after the gunnel was pulled into place and fastened with screws and PL Adhesive.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 091.jpg
    Picture 091.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 359.jpg
    Picture 359.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1

jcsercsa

Captain

looking good there maxum !!!! keep at her !!! John

maxum247

Lieutenant

Projected finish date! 2000 and never it seems like at times.:(

max!

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Keep up the good work. I didn't read back to far so I may have missed it, but when do think you'll be back on the water?

maxum247

Lieutenant

Keep up the good work. I didn't read back to far so I may have missed it, but when do think you'll be back on the water?

I was hopeing for June, but I've had too many other things to do lately.

max!

maxum247

Lieutenant

Worked on bulkhead and frameing for the bowcap this afternoon.
First I put in a 5/8" salt treated plywood pad 6"x6" in diameter under the bowcap for the bow cleat to have something to fasten to, and then I put in the framing that the bulkhead and bowcap will fasten to, a salt treated 1x2 run across the width of the underside of the bowcap and a salt treated 1x1 1/2" run across the width of the deck at the base of the bulkhead. I fastened it all together useing PL Adhesive and 1 1/2" stainless steel screws.
Now I just need to fill in on each side of the bulkhead with 5/8" plywood and fiberglass the bulkhead to the deck and hull sides of the boat and decide whether to use a cut out in the bulkhead or build a door there.
You can also see a small bulkhead in the first picture about midway of the underside of the bowcap that I fastened a 1x4" to (can't see the 1x4" in the picture) useing PL Adhesive and stainless screws to give support the center of the bowcap so it would be good and strong.

max!

Attachments

• Picture 357.jpg
    Picture 357.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 372.jpg
    Picture 372.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.