'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
NM, I never cease to be amazed at your skills. I want to learn to weld when I retire. I wish your were closer to give lessons AND to borrow clamps from!!!!:D

Thanks Woody! If you were closer, I would happily show you what I lnow! (wouldn't take long though) But I don't know about the whole "sharing clamps" thing...

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Quick update. I am still plugging along on the trailer. Got the bunks sorted out, as well as re-thought the mount for the winch and bow stop. And of course, here is the proof. Had to hang her from the ceiling to weld the bunk brackets on, so I thought some insurance was in order.

And the finished (almost) bunks

The winch mount got a major overhaul. It used to look like this...

I decided that I didn't like just having it clamped to the tongue, so I cut off the clamp base and just welded the post to the trailer

I did a lot of head scratching, and got a good height for the winch worked out, so then I chopped it off a bit.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is the re-engineered winch mount/bow stop.

and sitting in place

The finished product.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I also picked these up the other day.

I got them temporarily mounted,

I am going to order the fenders, keel roller brackets, and bunk carpet this week (hopefully). I also need to get a wiring harness and wire this thing up for brakes and lights. I might actually get back to working on the boat yet this winter!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Awesome stuff as usual ! Is as perfectly fit as a boat can be ! The winch post mod looks sooo much better than before .. :thumb:

Tnstratofam

Commander
66110196.jpg
As Usual!!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice! That reconfigured winch post looks great, as does the bunk assembly! :thumb: Lots of welding! Are you gonna build the tow rig too? :rolleyes:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
What is your boat rated for ?
Good price on the 115 .. The 70 looks the newest but may be under power ...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I have a 76' 85 hp Johnson. Makes my 15 1/2 footer FLY!!!! If your boat is rated for a 90 I think either the 90 or the 115 would be fine. Weight won't be a problem and if you go with the 115 you don't HAVE to run her WOT!!!! Personally I LOVE the old Evinrude and Johnson Motors. They just seem to run forever. I vote for the 90 Johnson!!!

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What is your boat rated for ?
Good price on the 115 .. The 70 looks the newest but may be under power ...

Sam, I'm rated for 90, but I was liking the price on the 115 as well, plus the fact that it comes with controls and all that. (the 90 doesn't)

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks Wood! I looked on evilbay, but all I could find was brand new ones (for $300+)!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Wood! I looked on evilbay, but all I could find was brand new ones (for $300+)!

nurseman, I had an old beat up Johnson Control box and literally rebuilt it for a few bucks. You can still get the internal parts for them and not very expensive either.
Here is what I started with.
Johnson Control-1.jpg
And this is a the finished Johnson Controls.
Johnson Control-2.jpg
So if you have one now, regardless of condition, you can rebuilt it to look like new again.

If you care to see the actual rebuilt of this Johnson Control unit, click on my rebuilds below and see. :thumb:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just a little progress to report. The Admiral got a hold of me this weekend, and there was no time for boat work...:nono:. On a non-boat related note, I would like to let everyone know that Tuesday, January 19, the Admiral and I will celebrate 25 years of her putting up with me! All joking aside, she is the best thing that has ever happened to me!
Anyway, I managed to get some stuff ordered this last week, keel roller brackets, bunk carpet, fenders and a few other things. Keel rollers came yesterday, and I managed to slip out to the shop for a couple of hours this afternoon and got them put on the trailer.

They aren't set to actually take any weight, I just pushed them up snug under the keel while it sat on the bunks.

That's all I got! Have a super week!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Congratulations on your 25th !! It's good to see folks staying "clamped " together for so long ! :joyous:
Me and mine will be together for 28 years this year . And like you I would be lost without her !