'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

52FordF2

Petty Officer 1st Class
But big brother then knows wheres yer at :eek:

I thought you were suppose to be at work, Not on the Lake :eek: :D Secret Agent Man :cool:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Spent the morning in my buddies garage watching him put my tank back together. It was fun to watch someone with actual welding skills make it look easy.

And the cherry on top is that he wouldn't let me pay him anything. So total investment is still $40. As soon as I get the new sender put in, I will give it another pressure test. (not that I'm worried, but...)

When I mount the tank, do I need to put anything between the deck and the tank? It had some dense foam weatherstripping like stuff on it when I got it, and I didn't know if that was good to use when I put it back, or if I can just strap it to the deck so that it doesn't move around.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice, that's a good friend you have there! I'm sure the favor will get returned some day. :) I'm thinking a strip of neoprene (not rubber) adhered to the tank where it contacts the deck, and between the tank and the tie down straps. Just my $0.02, take it for what it's worth. Or, you could build a flat platform to set the tank on and use 5200 to secure 2' or so wide plastic strapping pieces between the tank and the platform, and let the 5200 hold 'er in place. That's the way I set my tank after Wood gave me the link showing how to do this. I can't find the link, but maybe you've seen it? I'll try to find it if you want.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think something just to assure it doesn't vibrate or move around. I'm sure it will shift easily when full. Maybe fuel resistant strap covers. If it moves back and forth, metal on metal, it will eventually wear through. And squeek or rattle like no one's business.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Mike is correct neoprene 5200 to the tank. then I bought some 1" wide aluminum strips from the depot easy to bend with vice and hammer and secure to base.
I also foamed in the corners with 2 part on first rehab. Second had tabs welded on that I attached to stringer. Actually superficial boards glassed to stringer

zool

Captain
My tank was attached just like stated above from the factory, neoprene strips as barriers to the hull bottom, and under metal straps over the top as tie downs....no foam or cushioning, ...lasted over 20 years since new, and going back in service after some pit repairs.....one thing I did notice is some more pitting under the neoprene strips, than the surrounding areas...I just chalked it up to "air circulation is your friend" when it comes to alum tanks.....

Carpenter2486

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ijust red threw your entire 53 page rebuild, I am very impressed and have marked about half of your photos for my reference's, on my own project in the making, cant wait to see the continued efforts.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the kind words Carpenter! Don't forget to start a thread so we can all follow along when you start your project!