'83 Lund "Sirius" total gut and rebuild

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I also welded the coupler to the tongue, as well as the skid plate on the underside.

And a few of everything dressed up and ready for primer.

Next task is to raise the boat up off of her cradle, slip the trailer under the boat, and measure for the bunk brackets. I am planning on using some of the 3" channel welded to the frame, with a piece of flat stock on top to bolt the bunks to. I also have to pick up some fenders, make light brackets, steps on the side, and mount the spare tire holder, jack and winch stand. Phew! Then I can put the paint booth back up and prime / paint. Hope everyone is enjoying their projects!!!

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nic e work NM! I an definitely liking your work. Sorry though for your loss of a Brethern Clamp. I'm sure you have more. :joyous:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Rest in pieces C-clamp ... :rip: ... Gone in the line of duty ....:cold:

Nice work Nm ! I envy you guys with welding skills ... A decent welding machine is definitely on my wish list ...

Mark72233

Ensign
Nurseman, beautiful work as always and just remember he went out doing what he loved doing. God must have needed a clamp and you have more than he does anyway.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Trailer looks great!!! My condolences on your clamp. Im sure it be missed, but not forgotten.

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very nice!!!!! :thumb: That's a lot of work shown in a few pictures! Sorry about the clamp fatality :violin:, but life goes on, and you have plenty of other healthy clamps to think about.......

Tnstratofam

Commander
Very nice work on the trailer. Great to see your still at it. Sorry to see you lose one of your prized clamps:grumpy:. I'm sure it had served you well. Keep up the great work.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Nurseman, great trailer work. Good to see you making progress. Give the clamp a christian burial:grumpy:

Looking forward to your next update!

greetings from australia

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks for the kind words guys! I guess I had better go and find a replacement for it! :D The Brown Truck guys brought me some goodies today

These all had a cosmetic blemish, so they were like 60% off of regular price. I didn't think the bottom of the boat would care. ;)

More to come.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The boat is temporarily set on the new trailer, so that I can get measurements for the bunks. Here is proof that it happened.

Got the straps attached for the lift. (sorry for the blurry photo)

I think that this is going to be about where she sits on the trailer.

The bow stop will be above the winch, but I have to modify the setup so that it fits this trailer.

Last edited:

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here are a few more pics.

Hopefully I can get out to work on this thing this week, but with Christmas and everything that goes on with that, I'm not sure that will happen. I might seek refuge in the shop on Christmas day if the crowd of people at my house gets too rowdy...:eek: :bolt:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice mock up with the trailer. It's certainly looks like the trailer is gonna work nicely with her. Were you nervous hanging her from the ceiling? I think would have been.

Boat work can be a nice way to get away from relatives during the holidays. Just remember to make sure not to leave the Admiral to fend them off by herself for to long. Everything looks great as usual. :encouragement:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks great ! Could you maybe spin the post around then a horizontal winch mount ? Or maybe a more vertical post to get it closer to the the bow for the stop ..

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice mock up with the trailer. It's certainly looks like the trailer is gonna work nicely with her. Were you nervous hanging her from the ceiling? I think would have been.

Thanks tn! I made a box girder in the trusses along the length of the shop last winter so that I could do that very thing! So no, I wasn't nervous about that at all.

I posted these pics back when I did it.

Looks great ! Could you maybe spin the post around then a horizontal winch mount ? Or maybe a more vertical post to get it closer to the the bow for the stop ..

Thanks Sam! I thought about that, haven't ruled it out yet. Still pondering how the best way would be for that.:noidea:

Tnstratofam

Commander
I remember you reinforcing your trusses. I still get a little nervous when things hang in mid air.

Barramundi NQ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well done nm. Looking ready for a splash soon? still lots to do but well on your way.
Cheers

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
NM, I never cease to be amazed at your skills. I want to learn to weld when I retire. I wish your were closer to give lessons AND to borrow clamps from!!!!:D

rlb81

Seaman
Always super impressed by your work including the great pictures that you show us. Do you think she'll splash in 2016?

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Thanks rib! A 2016 splash would be sweet, but there is a lot of work left to do on her.