81 Checkmate Restoration!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re: 81 Checkmate Restoration!

Update........Finally.... putting the motor in the boat! I officially have a motor boat.

Had my students build me a engine host stand out of I-beam's.... Bolt it together and wrap the chain fall and commence to lifting.

My son came over to help....(Finally got him over to help the old man out on his boat).....We were up till 1am, plus Monday night football was on..Bengals vs Steelers....WHO-DEY - Wooped some butt on the Steelers.

Here's some pics......

0916132332.jpg0916132331.jpg0917130005.jpg

zool

Captain

Most excellent dude, like the yellow block!

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Thanks..Zool

I was really in debate on what color to paint the motor.....so i went with the yellow.

Ill post some pics in a few days when i get all the goodies bolted on........AND get the baby fireeerd up! :D

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Update: Got the motor in and all the bolt on's on. Got it fired up over the weekend and did some fine tuning last night. Im stoked how this thing sounds... Prr's like a kitten.....Can't wait to get it on the water!

Went ahead and drained the block/manifolds and heat exchanger/lower radiator hose.
I didnt hit my mark of being on the water by the 4th of july......:facepalm:

Ill have to wait till next spring....by then it will be ready to go with no issues!

Next is the interior this fall/winter...I have to make room in the garage for my sewing table...So the 69 Camaro goes to Mama's house in her back garage.

Tried to upload some videos....cant figure it out.....cant do photo bucket at work, i get cuuderd out! (Barracuda)

Any who... here are some pics....

0930131854a.jpg0930131856.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Did some siferrrring last night while haveing a few beers.....

Thought i would give an idea of the money's spent thus far....

18 ft boat.....no transom replacement.....poly resin

1. Deck/engine mounts/flotation boxes - Replacement.... Includes- Wood, resin, fiberglass cloth, rollers, brushes, mixing cups, nirtal gloves, ti-vex suits, fiberglass filler, sanding disk's ect.......Aprox $850.00...exclueding the pour in foam
2. Outside paint - Rust-olem paint/primmer..... includes sand paper lots of it.....Aprox $400.00
3. Engine replacement.....Used 1979 Chevy 350 4 bolt main - $300.00.....Machine shop work...$300.00.....Gasket kit/rings/bearings/intake,bolts and Y pipe flappers/ gaskets. $500.00.....Oil/filter and instalation extras...Total Apox..... $1200.00

So im into it about $2350.00 ......not bad. It realy adds up...So dont let people fool you thats it's gona be cheap...But in the end.... you have a like new older boat that they dont make anymore! :cool:

Still on the list...
1. R&R the drive unit
2. Buy and install the rub rail
3. Install the pour in foam
4. Redo the carpet and interior this winter. :D

zool

Captain

Yeah but in the end, you have a sweet, custom, semi rare i/o powered CM with a SBC thats gonna fly............plus you'll learn to sew! :D

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Update.. Havent had the extra money to get the interior material orderd. Will have to wait till after xmas to do that.
So im bored in the garage and i decided to paint the trailer and do some pin-stripe on the boat..... Also painted the outdrive after instalation...Rolled around the garage floor for a week to brush paint the trailer with the boat on the trailer.....Will have to do some touch up this spring when the boat is off the trailer.
Side note: Yes the trailer is galvinized and i realy dont care if the paint comes off.......Ill just keep touching it up! SOOO much better looking than before...To me anyway's

1118132104.jpg1118132105a.jpg1118132108.jpg1118132109.jpg

zool

Captain

looking good CM..I especially like the old dirt bike, brings back memories of a Honda xr75 i used to have..many moons ago...

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Yea dude back in the day.... i love that old bike...... Still runs but smokes like a freight train!..It is a 1975 honda XR-75 one off modified. Chrome moly frame, glass tank and plastic fenders....I bought it from a MX racer back in 77. He told me that he got it from the all-time MX racer Brad lackey and that Brad race it at the mini national's here in Mid Ohio and won on it. I tried to do some research but came up empty.
They pulled the kick starter lever off...you had to bump start to get it going.

I would love to send this bike out to Vegas to Rick's restoration and have him restore it to the tee.

zool

Captain

wow, thats realy cool it has a history!...IIRC, most of the kickstarts were stripped back then, so bump starting them was a norm. The XR series were kinda quiet, so I used to roll down the driveway, jump it, and stay side saddle for the 5 or so blocks to the trails....if I saw a cop, I just slide off and kill the engine, pretending to be walking it..worked most times, but ended up on the hook to the impound a few times lol..when I jumped to the YZ series Yammy, it was just too loud to pretend...

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Wow...Ditto on the side saddle. Yup the YZ-80 was the next upgrade... We must be around the same age.....Ill be 50 next year :)

I miss those care free day's, nothing but the bike and some dirt.......Id stay out from dawn to dusk or untill i ran outa gas!

zool

Captain

Wow...Ditto on the side saddle. Yup the YZ-80 was the next upgrade... We must be around the same age.....Ill be 50 next year :)

I miss those care free day's, nothing but the bike and some dirt.......Id stay out from dawn to dusk or untill i ran outa gas!

Yep, dawn to dusk! lol...different times where my parents didnt fret over where i was....

Hey old man, im only gonna be 49 next year!...hehe

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Update..:D.....So close i can taste it!
Its been a few since last post so i thought i show some progress.

Installed the new Rubrail (Taco flexable) Heat gun and lotsa screws.

Drilled and installed the pourable foam (2 - gallons, 2lb closed cell).....pluged up holes in deck and glassed back over them...then put down another fresh coat of my( free from work) white expoxy paint.

Installed Black indoor/outdoor carpet from Menard's...I know black...but had no choice, no other color would look right. Plus there's not that much walking surface.

Was going to try my hand at upolstery (Another thread) ....but went the professional route. Had the 2 - captian's chairs and the bench seat, side pannels and the 2 - engine hatch pads.

Upolsters work ....did the 2- captian chairs and the bench seat....took apart and rewraped/stapled with new vinyl and replaced a new board under 1- captian's chair.

I took apart the side panels and the hatch pads and the upolster sewed new vinyl for me. I had to buy some S.S staples/ new wood and some 1" foam to put back together.
Total cost for me.... $1650.00 with tax to get the upolstery done for the main part of the boat...

Still have to do the front seats and side pads in bow...I just might try on my own...

Some Pic's

IMG_2839 foam holes 1.jpgIMG_3376 new rub rail 1.jpgIMG_6335 foam holes 2.jpgIMG_5048 cap in foam hole.jpgIMG_6594 new boat interior 3.jpg

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Some more pic's

IMG_6492 New boat interior 1.jpgIMG_5985 new boat interior 2.jpg

My goal is to be on the water on Memorial Day!

Happy Boating everyone.........

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

$1,600 for 2 Captains Chairs, 1 Bench Seat and 1 Sun Pad??? How long did it take them?

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

$1,600 for 2 Captains Chairs, 1 Bench Seat and 1 Sun Pad??? How long did it take them?

It took them 3 weeks........ Yes, 2 captins chairs, 1 bench seat bottom and seat back....I took these items to him untouched..so he had to take apart and put back together.

The 2 side panels and 2 sun pads i took apart and he sewed the new vinyl and i put them back together with new wood.

He charged me $60 per hr + material......He was the cheapest outa 3 that i had quote the job.

The first guy wanted $2800 with the 2 front jump seats added......$4 grand to do all the seats and panels + the 2 canvas snap in mooring covers.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

It took them 3 weeks........ Yes, 2 captins chairs, 1 bench seat bottom and seat back....I took these items to him untouched..so he had to take apart and put back together.

The 2 side panels and 2 sun pads i took apart and he sewed the new vinyl and i put them back together with new wood.

He charged me $60 per hr + material......He was the cheapest outa 3 that i had quote the job.

The first guy wanted $2800 with the 2 front jump seats added......$4 grand to do all the seats and panels + the 2 canvas snap in mooring covers.

That's a lot of pepperoni for the basic vinyl job (Not to pick on it, as it looks very nice and matches great...just that there's not a lot of design i.e. cutting and sewing). Ship me your cushions and vinyl...I'll sew 'em for free (and by free I mean a case of beer!) I just made a silver carbon fiber looking bow insert to make the lounge are larger on my CC...wood, foam and vinyl about $75...took me about an hour!

That's a great looking CM!

~Brett

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

That's a lot of pepperoni for the basic vinyl job (Not to pick on it, as it looks very nice and matches great...just that there's not a lot of design i.e. cutting and sewing). Ship me your cushions and vinyl...I'll sew 'em for free (and by free I mean a case of beer!) I just made a silver carbon fiber looking bow insert to make the lounge are larger on my CC...wood, foam and vinyl about $75...took me about an hour!

That's a great looking CM!

~Brett

Thanks...Yea i know alota money for what it is...He did a fantasic job....but water under the bridge now!

Are you serious about doing the rest of my seats?........What i realy need done is the front canvas snap in bow cover made up. Ill make it 3 cases of beer! :joyous: