81 Checkmate Restoration!

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 81 Checkmate Restoration!

I used to do upholstery and canvas for a living. I now do it part time when I can. The money and hourly rate you were charged seems about right. At least here in the northeast. As I said, looks great

photo 2.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I used to do upholstery and canvas for a living. I now do it part time when I can. The money and hourly rate you were charged seems about right. At least here in the northeast. As I said, looks great

View attachment 230419

Yup the upholstery work in your boat SHOWS you've done it for a living!!! Looks like you've held a Paint gun in your hand as well!!!!;):D

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Thanks...Yea i know alota money for what it is...He did a fantasic job....but water under the bridge now!

Are you serious about doing the rest of my seats?........What i realy need done is the front canvas snap in bow cover made up. Ill make it 3 cases of beer! :joyous:

Send me a poly 6-7mil (plastic sheeting) template of your bow area, color and material (sunbrella or Weathermax 80...or whatever?). I'll sew it up for 1 case of beer. I'll Reinforce for pole support, 3/4" binding. You can pick up snaps and cheap tool to set them at a local upholstery shop and install?! Send me a PM I'll tell you how I want the template, I'm serious, be happy to help out...Take me less than 2 hours on that little area!
~Brett

redstrat

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yup the upholstery work in your boat SHOWS you've done it for a living!!! Looks like you've held a Paint gun in your hand as well!!!!;):D

Thanks Wood, Just do my homework and try to do good work. That's why I keep reading your comments. :encouragement:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Ahhhh Shucks....

Just learning as I go!!! Thanks for the kind words!!! I'm sure if I hung around your shop I'd learn a LOT!!!!;)

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Found my recipt last night...break down on the upolstery work

12- hrs to do the captians chairs = 720.00
6- hrs to do the bench seat = 360.00
4- hrs to do the sun pads = 240.00
10 yrds of material @ $19.89 = 199.00
+ 100.00 TAX

So it's all labor.....just like when you pay some mechanic to do your motor work.....Thats why i like this site so much for the DIY!

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

Just cleaned out my PM's...I tried from cell phone yesterday, mustn't have gone through?

~Brett

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Brett can you PM me...it might be me on my end that wont go thru.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Brett can you PM me...it might be me on my end that wont go thru.
Check your PM's, I just sent you one. Just be sure to erase it, as we only get to keep 50msgs total across all folders.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Re-update..updated last Friday and lost it all. Finally finished up the interior except the front bow seats……Fellow iboats member helping me out. Still have a few small items to finish…… Got in the water over memorial weekend……So excited..it’s been along 3yrs in the making. It ran great, new rebuilt motor ran very strong and the paint with-stood the moving water.

I could not have done this project with-out the help of iboats and some of it’s members. So I would like to thank those that were involved…..Like Woodonglass, Zool, achris…..and of course Bondo……But special thanks to the man – Don S…. I would not know anything about boats without his wisdom and knowledge!……

Here is a few pic’s

Re-Re.....Re Update since the...well you know!

Last edited:

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
No Title

Not sure if the updated my last post worked and if the pic's showed up.

Here is some of Woodonglass handy work on the front seats and side panels. Sent the old seats and new material to him and he sewed-em up in no time for a min price. High quality work

Do not look at the wrinkles...that is on me. I'm the one who wraped them. Used the old foam becouse i was in a hurry for the 4th weekend.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Nope i used the attachment icon. I cant use photo bucket at work and all my oictures are on my work putor.
Can i email them to you Wood and see if you can update my restoration thread.

Still can't believe i can not post a pic....after all this time. Unless i'm doing it wrong. Duno!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
At the behest of the OP here are the pics he's been trying to post...

The Launch...

Pulling away...

Beached...

Bow Seats...

Front Seats...

Last edited: