72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
That is so awesome to here you got it sorted out. Congrats and enjoy the fruits of you labor.

White90GT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad to see the old Mercs are doing well. When are you going to do the official splash?

I haven't really done much more on my SeaRay, just have other priorities right now. I need to get in there and figure out where the drain hose is going for the stairwell drain that goes down into the cabin. Rainwater has been getting into the cabin running down the stairs because the drain seems to either be plugged or the hose is broken somewhere inside allowing the water to get in. I blew air from the compressor through the line and in the drain hole on the outside that I thought was for it, but its still not draining out and is filling up the floor of the cabin. Once I get that fixed and as time permits, I'll continue trying to get the fuel tank out. Once its out I can get a good idea of how much wood/fiberglass work I've got ahead of me.

Mark72233

Ensign
I haven't installed the electric fuel pumps yet, its been a busy week and right now I am trying to modify, rebuild and install a swim platform so the kids can quit having to climb the engines to get back in the boat. I bought one off EBay over a year ago and once I got it I realized it was a little heavy and once I cut the bottom layer of fiberglass off and saw the plywood core I realized why. The wood was wet and black so I had to remove the wood core. This week I pulled the fiberglass shell out and cut the edge that sits against the transom so it will fit properly. I then cut out a new plywood core, sealed it with resin and than glued the plywood to the shell with PB before covering it with a couple of layers of CSM. I still need to fix a few holes, paint it and replace the rub rail around it but its not looking bad. Its a little slimmer than I wanted it to be because I had to cut about 3 1/2"s off the front side to conform to the transom. Now for the hard part drilling more holes into my transom. Anyway here are some pics of the platform.

alldodge

Staff member
Looks good Mark

Drilling holes, man I hate that to, sure would be nice if suction cups worked

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Everything looks wonderful Mark. Ill bet your having more fun now that she is functional. 5200 fast cure is your friend...

Mark72233

Ensign
Thanks for the compliments. Kramer agree on the 5200 I have used several large tubes of the stuff sealing every bolt and screw I have put into the deck, stringers and transom.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Looks factory!!! Drilling hales don't bother me anymore. I over drill them fill with pb then re drill the correct size and then fill with 5200

Mark72233

Ensign
Got the platform mounted along with the ladder but no pics. Today after work I left the kids at home and grabbed the wife for a sunset cruise. Hit the water about 530pm and went out to the jetties and the gulf. Dolphins everywhere again and the sunset and occasional shrimp boat made the perfect backdrops along with one particular friendly dolphin. Should of had some wine and cheese for the sunset cruise. I could sell tickets for this cruise. Than on the way in cranked up the Mercs to almost full throttle.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Swim platform turned out nice !
Now that's the way to end an afternoon !!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Yup all that time, hard work, dedication surely paid off. Looks like you had a smile that the cat ate the bird. And surely the Misses was smiling happy too!

Mark72233

Ensign
Well I wish I could say that it ended up being another great day but alas. It started good. Took my son who is 14, fishing out in the Gulf which he has never done. Trolled out of the jetties dragging 3 lines looking for anything. Trolled out to the whistle buoy which is 3-4 miles out. Pretty flat day but Drew still got nervous and wanted to head back in so after about an hour and a half, 2 Spanish Macks and some Bonita tuna he was done so we headed back in and mom came and picked him up. I went back out and fished alone, cruised around, anchored off the beach and went snorkeling, watched Dolphins, boats and a rather beautiful young lady on a paddle board wearing a black bikini that was way to small sorry I digress. On the way back I start hearing a strange noise and hind sight the right engine would kept giving me trouble cranking it. I would have to pump the throttle and turn it over a lot and a few times it would just stop turning over when I cranked it. Anyway got back in, pulled the boat and once on the trailer pulled the engine cover and see a bunch on salt residue all over the top of the right engine between the head and the manifold just in front of the carb for those of you familiar with the Chevy inline 6 just about exhaust port on number 3 cylinder. I have pulled the plugs and #3 is wet. Pulled the manifold and water is sitting on top of the exhaust valve and dripping out of the head onto the block. I have stopped for the night because I am about to cry šŸ˜­. Anyway the engine oil is saturated in salt water what ever caused this at this point I have no choice but to pull the engine because there is only one way I am going to get all this salt water out of this engine. Ok all that said what broke. The elbow looks ok and this looks like it's the new manifold. Could be head gasket blown, let water in number 3 cylinder which pumped out exhaust but what caused manifold gasket to blow spewing water straight up between head and manifold. If elbow is bad water would have gone into #6 not 3. Same thing if manifold was bad. Anyway I will know more tomorrow when I pull the head. This really sucks. Hind sight it makes sense that for the last two days this engine was idling low, hard to start, ran a little rough at start up and when cold, started having trouble turning over because water was compressed in #3. AllDodge or anyone else got any ideas. Want to come rebuild an engine with me. I will post pics later

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Hey Mark that sucks! Hang in there, the shake down is sometimes a fight! Hopefully it is something simple and you can get her back in the water quickly.

Mark72233

Ensign
Platform and 4 step ladder worked great.

Spanish Mack with cigar minnow bait and Croc size 12 for comparison.

Salty tasting slug for oil.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Man, that sucks! I wish I could offer you help, but all I can do is wish you good luck sorting things out.