72 Thunderbird Formula w/twin 165hp Mercs

Mark72233

Ensign
I tweaked the timing on the port engine and checked the float level on the starboard engine. Took it back out this afternoon and both engines ran up to about 4050 RPMs almost synced. Boat ran 41mph by the gps. Ran it at different speeds for about 30 minutes with no issues. Stopped the engines and watched a mom and baby dolphin for about 10 minutes than fired up the engines and went full throttle again but once the engines got up to about 3000 RPMs the starboard engine died. Checked the carb and no fuel, disconnected the line and no fuel pumping out. Pulled the top off the fuel pump and no gas. Only conclusion I can have is bad fuel pump. So limped in on one engine, love having twins. In the morning I will throw an old fuel pump on it or switch pumps and see if that's the issue. Anyway the positive things would be both engines ran up to almost max RPMs and the boat felt great. It's old top end speed was around 45mph so getting close.

alldodge

Staff member
Sure running into some issues, maybe "all" original makes some things a bit harder

Mark72233

Ensign
I used a lot of parts off the donor engines I bought which are used and who knows how old they are. Things like alternators, fuel pumps, power steering pump are all old. I replaced the starters and water pumps with new ones but this is what I get for cutting costs on items like fuel pumps. What do you guys think about replacing mechanical fuel pumps with electric fuel pumps and if so what make and model.

ahmincha

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Mark congratulation on the mini splash I am not sure the year of motors you put back in but napa online has mechanical pumps here is a # for the old style SME 187278 and the new style SME 187282 They are a bit pricey Sierra part number is sierra
18-7278 and [h=1]Sierra 18-7282[/h]

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
OMG!!! How did I miss This!!! Congrats!!!!! I know you're having issues but we all do the first time out. NOW you can get em all ironed out and do the OFFICIAL SPLASH with the Champagne and everything! Can't wait for that!!! GO GO GO!!!!!:nod:

alldodge

Staff member
These are the marine model part numbers
Holley Red is preset at 7 psi (712-801-1) cost $145
Holley Blue is preset at 9 psi with regulator (712-802-1) cost $175
The Carter is preset to between 4 to 7 psi (895-P4389) cost $115

Personal opinion I like Holley. Also would choose the Holley Red, it's preset and should work fine. Carter makes a good pump but the variation from 4 to 7 is not quality control in my point of view. Airtex makes a 1/4 NPT marine fuel pump E8251 cost $35, but output is 30 gph fee flow. It should work, but may be a bit light for full out loading

Edit: the easier route would just get the sierra replacement

Last edited:

Mark72233

Ensign
Welcome to the party WOG. AllDodge thanks that's what I needed. Pulled both pumps. The right one dry as a bone still but when I manually pumped it there is pump action you know I put my finger over the intake port and my mouth over the exit and there is action. Switched them to opposite engines. Cranked them both up. Right side only took a few cranks and it fired up. Both have been running fine at idle for about 4-5 minutes and now at 2000rpms for several minutes and no issues. This boat is killing me.

tpenfield

Staff member
Glad to hear you got the boat in the water, but sorry to hear about all of the issues. This is one for "boat & engines sure act differently once you put them in the water . . . "

I'm thinking not enough fuel flow or inconsistent fuel flow.

Mark72233

Ensign
Follow up. I am sitting out on the boat by myself anchored up next to the island and drinking a beer and listening to Merle Haggard and other country greats listening to the water lap onto the shore from the wakes of passing boats. Took the boat out with my nephew Ari and she ran perfect so we ran her out to the gulf and its beautiful out there one footers and not too crowded. Both engines running perfect, not dying out, no fuel issues basically perfect, knock on my wooden head. Wife brought the rest of the crew out son, daughter her two friends me and Ari. All 7 of us loaded up and went out to the jetties and the gulf. Chased Dolphins which is harassing them 😜. Went about a mile along the island on the gulf side and anchored up in 3 feet of water because it's that flat and just enjoyed the beautiful green clear water. It's 81* and almost flat. Than we trolled some lures and caught a fish, hard tail good for bait and not much else but still caught a fish. Than cruised back in where the entire crew left me alone on the boat so that's why I am sitting out here alone suffering with a cold beer and Johnny Cash. Life is tough 😊. Once I am near internet I will share some pics. But again just ran the heck out of these engines for about another 2 hours and no fuel issues, no pump issues, no water in the oil on the port side. 😳. I give up. What a beautiful day. Going for another beer.

Mark72233

Ensign
Well not 10minutes after I sent that last post I cranked up both engines after sitting for an hour, pulled anchor and put them both in gear and the port engine quit and wouldn't start back up. Limped back to the ramp and as I drive it onto the trailer the starboard engine quits and won't crank back up. Got the boat home and put it on the hoses and neither engine will start up. It's a fuel issue. The port engine is where I put the fuel pump from the other engine on it this morning and what I excepted to happen finally did 6 hours later. Why the starboard side quit now who knows. I am taking the rest of the day off and will look at it after work tomorrow. Personally I think my dad cashed in a favor from the big man up stairs and let me take the family and friends out on a perfect day and than let me have an hour alone with the boat, the bay and a beer before the engines finally quit. Who knows👼🏼👍

alldodge

Staff member
I think its them pesky little gremlins. Sure sorry to hear about this, you needed some more good times.

I don't remember, was the fuel tank cleaned out?