70's era 15' Yarcraft yankee project question

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
This topic has been debated on the forum a LOT!! I've researched it A LOT!!! I have yet to find one article of data about an incident where any DIY'r or Restoration Shop of any kind has had a Flash Fire or explosion do to Polyester Resin Fume Accumulation. Not One!!! If it was something that was happening frequently...you'd hear about it. I realize It only has to happen to you once for it to be a bad problem but if it was a problem, I think you'd be hearing about it more. As long as you keep the Garage door cracked just a bit and a fan circulating the air, you'll have No Issues!!!

But...I AM an Old Dumb Okie so do take that into consideration!!!

Last edited:

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks very much WOG! I really appreciate all of the help. I have been reading a lot of posts and paying attention to your suggestions.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Planning ahead while I wait to get back in the garage. How bad is the stink from polyester? My garage is attached and will be doing the work in winter so will not want the garage door open. I'm leaning toward epoxy mostly for that reason. 5gal of fast epoxy (will be using in cold temps) for $275. Or 5gal of poly for 125+ whatever hazardous shipping cost. Generally speaking, will I use the same amount of epoxy as poly? I've done a time of reading but I think I'm just confusing myself.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Polyester does smell, the odor will spread into the house, the levels won't be harmful, but can be annoying.

You will use less epoxy because no mat is needed, so the cost of the finished project between the two will be closer than what the cost per gallon indicates.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

So I finally had some time to work on the boat. I got the cap off and is sitting in the back yard. I got the floor out and started cutting the perimeter of the transom. It might be early ( I don't have the whole perimeter cut)but it seems like the transom is glued to the outer skin. If this is the case does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• photo228898.JPG
    photo228898.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo228899.JPG
    photo228899.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo228900.JPG
    photo228900.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 1

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

I have been doing some more reading and got myself a little nervous on the boat support. I have it sitting on the trailer (has bunks on the back sides and roller in the middle) I have added supports to the sides. I have attached a pic to try and show what I have, Im not at home so I used the best I could. Any issues pulling my transom and stringers out at the same time? As you can see above I already have my floor out and cap off.

Attachments

• photo228934.jpg
    photo228934.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 1

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

It wasnt easy but I got the transom out. It came out so I can use it as a template, but there is still some of it stuck to the hull. It was glued to the outer skin. Here are a couple of pics. Any advice on getting the remaining wood off?

Attachments

• photo228965.JPG
    photo228965.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo228966.JPG
    photo228966.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 1

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I opened the garage door coming home from work I noticed that the hull had twisted :mad-new:. Not sure what to do now? I was thinking that I will need to pull the hull off the trailer and additional supports, flip it over onto the garage floor. I am thinking that laying it on the garage floor will straighten it out? Then I would build a stand like found on this attached thread. Any other ideas? I think the transom was holding it straight, when I removed it the hull must have twisted.

Am I pooched or is this correctable.

thanks for any help.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Being as you're in the demo stage I'd say you should be able to manipulate it back into shape. Trick is going to be holding it while you get through reconstruction.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Sorry about the sideways
pictures but here's how my boat currently sits

Attachments

• photo229088.jpg
    photo229088.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo229089.jpg
    photo229089.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 1

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Most help I got is to turn the pics as I couldn't tell much from them sideways, Might be time to square it up using the method they talked about from the linked thread, then redo your cribbing with an eye at making it a bit more symmetrical to provide better support. Those processes maybe intertwined.

Like I said better to of caught it and get it handled now then after you've started putting in the new.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
FWIW I'll add in the pic it just looks like its sitting on the trailer crooked, still not ideal.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you for your help. I got pretty disappointed and discouraged when I saw the twist.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
Now I just need to figure out the best way to build a better stand/cradle.

oba97

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Because I don't have room to store my trailer I want to try and level and support as is. Here is what I did.
1. Ran a string line from the center dagger stringer to both port and starboard corners to check square. (Not pictured)
2. Put a level on the hull at the transom.
3. Ran string lines in a X pattern and adjusted until all showed square.

I had to shim the rear starboard side with a 1x6 to get it level. All above methods show level and does line or site. I'm not an engineer or very smart so I'm looking for feedback if this seems reasonable or am I way off base in my thought process? I kinda thought a 1x was a lot to use as a shim. If I hear that my theory is sound I'll add additional support and continue with the tear down.

Attachments

• photo229171.jpg
    photo229171.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 1
  • photo229172.jpg
    photo229172.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo229173.jpg
    photo229173.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1