Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

Man this thing is coming together nice. Very clean lookin inside n outside. Did you have windshields for the consoles?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

She looks about ready for some action there broham!!:thumb:

Hey, you may have already thought of this...

Are you thinking of padding up those trailer guide ons with something? I know you are itching to get out but I'd hate to see ya wreck yur fresh paint work on your first run!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Man this thing is coming together nice. Very clean lookin inside n outside. Did you have windshields for the consoles?

Thanks SMG! I do have windshields... That dude right down there \/\/\/ hooked me up with some... I've also got the "windscreens" that came with it... Not 100% what I want to do there... I like the low profile of the windscreens (more "fishy"), but the windshields Jas hooked me up with are much more beefy (Less "fishy" but obviously look more "factory" - esque). Decisions...

She looks about ready for some action there broham!!:thumb:

Hey, you may have already thought of this...

Are you thinking of padding up those trailer guide ons with something? I know you are itching to get out but I'd hate to see ya wreck yur fresh paint work on your first run!

That's actually a great point. There was a lateral 2 X 4 (carpeted) that goes right there. I took the old one off because it was rotten and it was getting in my way for the paint job. You must know me pretty well... It would be JUST LIKE ME to race out to the water and then scratch up my boat on one small detail that I forgot about...

Will definitely get that put back on before I hit the water.

P.S. If I don't end up using those windshields, I will send them back to you. I have contemplated using them the whole build. It was only until very recently that the decision to use the "fishing boat" windscreens started to creep into mind.

Thanks,
Patrick

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

P.S. If I don't end up using those windshields, I will send them back to you. I have contemplated using them the whole build. It was only until very recently that the decision to use the "fishing boat" windscreens started to creep into mind.

Thanks,
Patrick

Hey man, post up some photos of each set of windshields so we can check out the options eh!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Well, the exterior paint work is not 100% done (I will have a little accent strip to add), but it was nice to walk out in my garage this morning and see this:

Man oh man, that is one sweet looking craft to find the man cave...
And, yeah...grab a couple of 6-8 foot long PT 2x4's, glue/staple some el cheapo HD exterior carpet and galvanized lag screw them in place...I don't know about you, but it would sure send my blood pressure to the moon if you go out and scratch the carp outa that there nice paint job...

I will bet your brain is tingling with ...

I like the idea of seeing the different shields, too...
L8r, Se?or...:)

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Dude, and I mean that with the utmost respect, she looks awsome! Can't wait to see what you do with the windshields!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

If you put a tiller on you motor you could pull out the consoles and not have to make a windshield/ fishy bubble decision,..........:D

Just kidding,............Looks great dude,..........

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

hey, thanks guys! - much appreciated. I am enjoying the final stages of the put back (and trying my best to be patient at this point). I will try and get comparison pics of the windshields posted up this afternoon.

To do:

1) Install passenger seat and pedestal
2) Windshields (decide and install)
3) Wire up 12V accessory (not necessary for splash but just needs to be done)
4) Purchase, install and wire courtesy lights (LEDS) (same comment as above)
5) Touch-up paint here and there.
6) Get motor checked out by mechanic (fix choke).
7) Carpet/Install new trailer guide-on pieces
8) Wire Trailer (new lights), etc..
9) Get tag for trailer
10) Check bearings, etc..
11) Finish angle pieces on transom cap
12) Polish/Install Nose Piece
13) Locate/purchase/install new end (corner) caps for gunwale/transom connection
14) Install insert (and rub rail) transom pieces
15) Clean/Polish aluminum bottom of boat

--Splash

1) Upgrade and install trolling motor
2) Purchase and install new fish finder
3) Complete trailer refurb
4) Install docking lights (maybe)

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

OK, the following is just to try and help out...
To do:Otherwise known as what you REALLY need to get this puppy Splashed...

1) Install passenger seat and pedestal Not absolutely necessary, that's what milk crates are for...
2) Windshields (decide and install)Again, a little wind in the face is OK for first splash...
3) Wire up 12V accessory (not necessary for splash but just needs to be done)You said it, not me...
4) Purchase, install and wire courtesy lights (LEDS) (same comment as above)See above and ditto...You won't be splashing at night the first time out...are you???:rolleyes:
5) Touch-up paint here and there. Refer to #'s 3& 4...
6) Get motor checked out by mechanic (fix choke).OK, that's something you want to get done...
7) Carpet/Install new trailer guide-on piecesYes, no messing up the new paint job first time out...
8) Wire Trailer (new lights), etc..Yeah, gotta be legal for the po-po...
9) Get tag for trailer Same as #8
10) Check bearings, etc..OK, if you haven't done this yet, you have to...don't want to fry a bearing first time out...
11) Finish angle pieces on transom cap Hmmmmm, this one is debatable...will the boat fall apart during a sea trial without them...? that is the real Q?
12) Polish/Install Nose Piece See # 11...:rolleyes:
13) Locate/purchase/install new end (corner) caps for gunwale/transom connection OK, now you are starting to worry me...:facepalm:
14) Install insert (and rub rail) transom pieces No comment...
15) Clean/Polish aluminum bottom of boat Not absolutely necessary to splash, but will offer an incredible sense of pride and accomplishment...:)

--Splash Finally!!! Geez...

Happy Wednesday!:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Gus is on the right track ! But I,m saying. On your return trip from the mechanic .. Iffen your anywhere even close to a ramp your gunna be pressed real hard not to drop that puppy in the water !

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Okay, so the last has been narrowed down (or at least prioritized). I think I can knock out that shorter list pretty quickly...

So, even though I may splash with a little wind in my face, I wanted to get some opinions on the windshield. Jas hooked me up with a really nice Taylor Made windshield that some glasser coughed up on his property. Because I am very appreciative and would like to incorporate that into the build, any tie goes to those windshields. The only reason I have a smidge of doubt is due to geography (and what I'm used to seeing locally). Its so warm here that most people spend there time looking over the windshield trying to get some air in their face like a dog riding in a car... Very few pure fishing boats have much a windshield at all. I could honestly see myself being very happy with either set up.

So, here is the Taylor Made Windshield...

And another (if you look closely, over my boat's "shoulder" - you can see my neighbor's super pimped out wake boat in front of his house, just taunting me and my little tinny build).

And here are the smaller windscreens:

And another:

And here is a ****-eye (comparison) look:

Do you guys have any thoughts, strong opinions, etc..?

Last edited:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I like the small double bubbles,...They are almost "Rangeresque",.............

And they catch less wind which will make boat control easier when position fishing,...........

lokonn

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe it is being from the midwest, but, on that boat I like the full manly windshields. Not that I don't like the ''bassboat'' windshields it just seems like they don't have enough substance for the way your boat has turned out. All that garbage being said it is your boat and you need to do what you want. If we are voting I vote for the full monty. Won't be hurt if I get veto'd though. Just wanna see it in the water!

72mtwain

Seaman

the short ones look a bit wide but I do like them better, looks sleek.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

This is what a "mid-west" steering wheel boat should look like!!

jarrads-ranger-boat.JPG

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

They both look good . Maybe the taller one would give you something to grab on to when stepping up onto the front casting deck.
Just a thought ..

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The glass one for sure. It looks great on there. (The sleek little ones clash with the lapstrake anyway :D) You'll appreciate the extra wind blocking.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Alrighty then...here is my nickle-95...
I like Teamsters tiller...now that looks manly...
Oh yeah...:focus:
The 2013 Sea Nymph Windshield Championship...
Contestant #1...Full Framed Windshields...
The full size, framed ones look perfectly appropriate to the design of the boat...BUT...they are also screaming out..."Where is the middle swing out portion...and they seem to be missing the angled struts that come back off of each side...???"
Now I know these are just mocked up and all the related parts may not be shown, so Please understand, it would be very difficult to give the winning edge to this particular choice...

Contestant #2...Formed Plexiglass Windshields...
They do look "sportier", but somehow out of place on a tin craft...they are begging for a base to be properly mounted which may be difficult and time consuming to fabricate...
I completely agree with the wind in your face factor, but I am also acutely aware of the pelting rain in your face syndrome as you are trying to get under a bridge or shelter when the skies open up...may, or may not be a huge consideration in Ole Miss, but down here, you can go out in bright blue skies and it can turn dark, wet and rainy within minutes...

OK, drum roll Please...:drum:

My decision is based on the following two altered photographs...

If you want or need the center swing out portion, you could also have it designed in such a way as to be completely removable and/or, if used, to completely close off the opening between the two windshields...meaning that it would reach all the way to the forward casting deck...

The strut would not only serve the purpose of giving more structure to the windshields, but could also provide a solid hand hold for climbing in/out of the boat at the dock...plus you could also add side plexi curtain windows for added weatherization...

It is my less than humble opinion, that if the above criteria can be met...the clear winner would be the Jas provided, Taylor Made, Full Frame Windshields...

If the decision continues to be elusive, you might try figuring a way to temporarily mount them, for actual sea trial testing under different conditions...

Otherwise, I remain confused...:noidea:

Have fun figuring it out...:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, full disclosure, here's where those wind shields came from:

http://i543.photobucket.com/albums/gg451/jasoutside/Mirro Craft Utility/P1090633.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS0dEjiZImU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpXWh8z5vNc

Just doing the world of boating a public service is all:becky:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, the parts that Gus wants to add PMC and I decided to go ahead and chop off:facepalm: Whoops!

OK, so, your face may very well be still in the wind with the glass ones. Depending on how I'm sitting in my boat I can duck behind or get a face full. Your hull is deeper (taller) than mine so that my be lil different...

That said, I'm kinda on the fence, both are pretty cool for different reasons. But, I do believe I'd lean to the glass ones.