12' speedboat info wanted

Scisor34

Cadet
[/ATTACH]

I just picked this boat up and would appreciate any info/stories/advice anyone has that's familiar with this style/size boat. The guy I bought it from never ran it, it just came with the trailer he was buying. The only thing he knew was the original owner put a 115 outboard on it and he said he scared the you know what outta himself.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0

Blk-n-Blu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 12' speedboat info wanted

You might try looking on the upper starboard area of the transom for a HIN number from there someone here will chime in. If it doesn't have a HIN its older than they required them (early 70s)

Scisor34

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I looked over the the entire boat interior and exterior and didn't find anything. I guess I should've mentioned the registration stickers read; "homemade" and the year is "2000". I've been reading everything I can find on "mini power boats" and such, and ran across a few posts about "Molds" that people have used to make boats about this size. This probably is a dumb question, but do you think this is something along those lines? If anyone has any knowledge about a "mini" like this or a GW Invader etc, I'd really like to know any tips, suggestions or websites that might help I'd greatly appreciate it!

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

yeah 115 is WAAAAAY too much for that. A 50-75 hp would be nice. 115 is not only too much power, but also too much weight. A nice light smaller motor would probably end up faster, it would be too much of a handful because of the handling with a 115 weighing down the back end.

looks like a fun boat though!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Don't know what it is but a 115hp is not only an accident waiting to happen it is a transom waiting to fall off !!!
Just my 2 cents though.
Welcome to iboats.

Scisor34

Cadet

I agree completely!! I had to ask him a couple times if he was sure about the 115, and he said yes. It came with a 6" set-back (probably wrong term) jackplate. 50 or 60hp is what I was thinking. The 2 seats that came with it are terrible, I was thinking 2 nice bucket seats mounted on a hinged plate that would allow access to the rear of the boat. Ideas on seats?

NYBo

Admiral

Welcome to iboats!:cool:

I think even 25 or 35 HP would be enough to push the safety limits on a boat that small. It's not just about hull strength; the hull dynamics have to be such that the handling remains safe at wide open throttle.

Scisor34

Cadet

Again I agree. I want it to be fast, but not so fast I'm afraid to let anyone else drive it.

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

From my research you probably can sell the engine and buy a nice toy

Scisor34

Cadet

I've got a 20' pontoon boat that goes 56mph, appreciate the cutting edge humor though!!!

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

I tried to fit a small block V-8 on a go-cart once it scared the ---- out of me however we still play with it

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Non carborundum las illegitemi--Latin, look it up. Oh, OK! Don't let the Bas**rds wear you down

In english: Too much horsepower is never enough!

Here's a photo of a 14 footer with a 125. It's going to get a 140 this season.

Don't let the naysayers get to you. Try the 115 but work up to speed slowly, getting a feel for the quirks of the hull and for God's sake, do it when no other traffic is around.

Make sure the kill switch is functional and ALWAYS wear a vest; you never know when she will turn around and bite you in the a**.

Nice wide transom: Twin 40s or 50s would look very classy on the back--and they sound great.

Attachments

• 55MPH.jpg
    55MPH.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • working copy.jpg
    working copy.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 0

Lrider

Chief Petty Officer

this could be fun

Attachments

• P16.jpg
    P16.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0

Scisor34

Cadet

It's all good, I can hold my own in the sarcasm dept. I picked up a mid 80s 70hp Merc today. Hopefully I'll have the time to get it on and set up by next weekend. I've got a place on a chain of small lakes that I think this thing will be perfect for. I've got a couple of Seadoo's, but I like the side by side seating for a little change. It's registered through 2011 and I'm sure every state is different, but does a homemade boat have to go through any inspection or what not in order to obtain a registration? I live in MN, but just curious what this process is. Where would I go to have the boat rated, or is this a non issue? I've been stopped by DNR officials quite often in the past because they've been curious what I'm actually running, and most times check to see what my pontoon was rated for. I've always changed the stickers to be within the limits at a quick look and never been ticketed, and would like to keep that way.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Non carborundum las illegitemi--Latin, look it up. Oh, OK! Don't let the Bas**rds wear you down

In english: Too much horsepower is never enough!

Here's a photo of a 14 footer with a 125. It's going to get a 140 this season.

huge difference in hull! that is a semi deep v, the OP's boat is nearly flat bottom... My guess is it would porpoise so bad around 40 mph with a 115 on back that you wouldn't be able to drive through it. a 65 hp would pass it and never look back.

Scisor34

Cadet

Any advice on brand & or model trim tabs I should use? I was thinking of going with a foot throttle, I like the idea of being able to keep both hands on the wheel. This obviously goes without saying, but it's my first venture into pushing the limits of a hull for me, and know it'll be a long learning curve. Foot pedal good or bad idea & why? The pontoon I have is a 89 Misty Harbor ski-toon. The bottom of the toons rather than being round are shaped like a "W" allowing it to get up out of the water, which it does fantastically, but running in the fifties it's still very stable. I need to put a 250 on it. But anyway, I'm new to this forum (obvious again) and really enjoy it. Thanks