Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Side (or Side by Side) console

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea Nymph GLS - 17'

They both look good . Maybe the taller one would give you something to grab on to when stepping up onto the front casting deck.
Just a thought ..

People grabbing them is a good reason not to have them,.....I've seen to many fail because of that,........

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Guys:

All of this feedback is very good! That is why I love this site. Its funny how geography (local preferences) come into play:

I texted a few of my local fishing buddies last night and it was a 5-1 vote in favor of the windscreens.

A lot of the midwest and northern guys (other than Teamster) tend to favor the windshields.

I think am going to start out with the wind screens (for one: the admiral likes them better; second: I do a lot of position fishing and love to fly fish - loads of fun for bass, redfish, etc..; and fly line will tangle on anything it can find; and third: they are, in fact, original to the boat). Given the importance of position and having a low profile with the fewest deck entanglements as possible, I think I'll start with the windscreens.

I already have the screw holes on the consoles and it will be quick install. If I feel like they are not beefy enough, or they start to bother me after some time on the water, I will install the windshields over the fall.

Jas: I loved the video of your two sons banging on that glasser... That was awesome. I love how you are training those boys up! I can't believe I've never seen that before. The landfill flip over was a nice touch too!

Peace +
Patrick

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

(other than Teamster)

No count, that guy is just plain weird:tinfoil3:

----------------------------------------

Yah, I am thinking about using those as training videos. You know like world peace, ending hunger, tsunami disaster, global warming propaganda, glass boat eradication...

Along those lines:becky:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Well if the Admiral likes the windscreens better than that kinda trumps all of our :blah:..
Wise decision Pm ! :)

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

A lot of the midwest and northern guys (other than Teamster) tend to favor the windshields.

That's because boats are for fishing, Not ridding around,......lol,.....

Sure a windshield is sort of nice on a February day fishing on the Mississippi, Until you get to the spot and the wind is catching the windshield and moving the boat around,....

glnbnz

Chief Petty Officer

I like the Windscreens. Just my opinion...I see your point about not wanting obstacles.

Trooper82

Commander

I have reasons for liking them both....gonna look slick either way you go...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Late chime in... I like the windshields, I think the smoked glass looks dated. Try em both on for size, but I can completely understand using the existing holes. Stock is always good in my boat. Everything looks really good, nice work.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Well guys:
I went with the smaller windscreens for now (primarily just in the interest of time)... I'm still debating and may switch over to the others... Consider these "placeholders" for now...

Here she goes on the way to the shop this morning; New trailer lights - check; new trailer bunks - check; windshields in - check; tag for the trailer - check;

Now, the bad - On the way to the get the tag, the motor was bouncing a bit on the back of the boat (don't have transom saver installed yet)... So, as I am sitting in the parking lot putting on the new tag, I get the bright idea to trim it up some more to see if it would be less bouncy that way... I hear a "pop" (it seems i had good clearance on the steering arm - that is, until I installed the steering cable). I snapped the little swivel bolt that connects the steering ram to the steering arm on the motor. So, the boat is sitting in the shop as we speak getting a final tune up and getting the steering fixed (they are also installing a transom saver)... So, there will be NO splash this weekend, but hopefully it will get out of the shop next week some time and be ready to hit the water.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Now for the more cheerful side of the story:

I pull into the outboard shop at the back of the boat dealer. The tech (great guy) is standing there.... I park and walk up and he has this grin on his face... He looks at me and says: "Wow, is it is clean on the inside as it is on the outside" and I said, "Yeah, in fact, its all brand new." So, without saying a word, he just starts walking over to the boat... He peeks in and just stares for about 5 minutes.... Then, he just says: "This is outstanding... You done good."

Then, I showed him around the boat and some of the things I did to it, and he just said: "This boat has custom-built fingerprints all over it... Great job!"

That was a nice pat on the pack coming from a pro that has about 10 40K-50K boats in line ahead of mine to work on...

Last edited:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's awesome, congratulations and condolences on the swivel. Next weekend is still close by :D

jbcurt00

Staff member

Your mentors should be proud :watermelon:

Cause yep, ya done good, right up til that transporting it w/ no transom saver~swivel breaking portion of the rebuild :facepalm:

Happens.... Better now then w/ the whole dang family loaded up & ready to hit the water.

No pressure, and you don't have to post it until the big S, but got a name picked out yet?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Brother, that had to feel like you were on cloud nine +...
Yeah, something broke, so what, it was minor...
To have a boat pro look over your work and be impressed as he was...that's priceless.
Way to go, Patrick...you have done yourself proud!
I'm even sniffing back a tear of joy, believe it or not...:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yep you should be very proud of this accomplishment ! Now I,m ready to see this puppy flying down the lake and getting all fish slimy !
I think your ready to tackle a glass boat now ! :joyous::D

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Congrats on the kudos from the pro! Well deserved! That's just a taste of what you'll get at the launch ramps!

(I've chosen to sit-on my windshield "vote"...kind of like placing a superbowl bet on Monday morning :lol:)

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

but got a name picked out yet?

I'm thinking along the lines of;
NO WARPED GLASS
...or...
NO GLASS
...or...
NO ITCH
...or...
TIN HEAVEN
...or...
FAS-TIN-ATION
...or...
PRO-CAST-TINATOR
...or...
ALUMINATION
...or...
RIVETING

I'll be here all week...I got a million of 'em...

OK, I'll stop now:facepalm:...
Happy Friday, Y'all...

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Hah..Thanks Guys! Gus, those are good names (you have quite the quick wit)....

Truthfully, I have sort of been stumped on a name for this rig... My kids call her "bessie the boat" but that's not quite going to cut it.

Right now, I'm kicking around a few, but I think I'll reveal the final choice when (and if) I ever get to the splash...

Trooper82

Commander

That was cool end to the trip to the shop there pmc...you deserve it too...she is looking quite nice for sure...and dang you sure got alot done on the trailer in a short amount of time...

jbcurt00

Staff member

I was thinking more along these lines:
Proof.ashx

Perfectly Tinned :D
Or in legalese:
Stagnati Perfectionis

Translated for the non-barrister crowd....

Last edited: