1986 Evinrude 120hp Won't Start Without Starting Fluid

Fed

Commander
I'm on the sideline until I see these mythical choke butterflies.
Good luck with your project.

(Beat you racerone)

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
....also if you let go real quick the springs on the carb linkage should push everything back towards the rear of the engine, closing the carb butterflies.

there is one time where they wouldn't snap back.....the bushings for the carbs' linkage rod are boogered up or gunky.....wd40 on the bushing should loosen them up.

seriously they should snap back very easily when forced open via the thick linkage bar.

mav6759

Chief Petty Officer
Okay I want to start off by saying I want to thank everyone for their input...I took the motor to a guy that knows Evinrudes...here is what he found out...there are 2 little tubes in each float bowl... those tube were filled with dried up oil or varished or something like that....he said he had put the float bowls in a special machine with some type of liquid that will shake the float bowls...he stated that carb cleaner was not going to unclog them...they were varied over to bad....that was my problem....so if someone has the same problem with their engine running good on muffs but bogging down in the water....thus could be your issue....

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Okay I want to start off by saying I want to thank everyone for their input...I took the motor to a guy that knows Evinrudes...here is what he found out...there are 2 little tubes in each float bowl... those tube were filled with dried up oil or varished or something like that....he said he had put the float bowls in a special machine with some type of liquid that will shake the float bowls...he stated that carb cleaner was not going to unclog them...they were varied over to bad....that was my problem....so if someone has the same problem with their engine running good on muffs but bogging down in the water....thus could be your issue....
Good to hear...did he re-do the link/synch procedure...

can't remember, do you have the plastic carbs?

yeah everything has to be devoid of varnish or grains of anything from any of the orifices....

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
just for kicks take a pic of the thick linkage with the throttle in N.