1983 Skeeter Bassboat Restoration

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The weather is finally turning around so yesterday I initiated the restore process on my 1983 Skeeter Starfire 115. I started to strip the interior, seats, carpet, etc last night. I am rebuilding the carbs and fuel pump on my Merc 115 inline 6 tower of power tonight and once I am completed with that I will be back on board to strip and sand the interior and exterior paint. I plan on replacing the carpet, seats, electronics, and rewire the entire boat within the next couple of weeks. I am also going to repaint the hull and interior with Rustoleum Marine Coatings. I will take many pics and post as many updates as possible to keep everyone in the loop and to get feedback as I am sure I will have a lot of questions. I don't think I would have the guts to jump into a job like this one without the help of this forum...so, thank you all in advance.

Attachments

• skeeter030409-2.jpg
    skeeter030409-2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1
  • skeeter030409-7.jpg
    skeeter030409-7.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1
  • skeeter030409-1.jpg
    skeeter030409-1.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 1

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1983 Skeeter Bassboat Restoration

Well, I finished stripping the carpet, seats, and accessories. As you can see in one of the pics there apparently was a hole in the floor that a previous owner must have covered with some flimsy metal sheeting, but the rest of the floor is solid, if anyone has any suggestions on what I should do to fix the hole or offer better support for the spot please let me know.

Attachments

• skeeter030509-10.JPG
    skeeter030509-10.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • skeeter030509-9.JPG
    skeeter030509-9.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • skeeter030509-2.JPG
    skeeter030509-2.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • skeeter030509-11.JPG
    skeeter030509-11.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Most likely you will have some water under the deck from the looks of the patch job.
Which could mean wet foam and or rotten stringers if the hull you have has wooden stringers. Pull the patch and see what you find under there that will help determine your next move.

max!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I finally got all 3 carbs and the fuel pump rebuilt, but I am little scared to start her for fear that she still won't run, LOL. I am going to take her out tomorrow to see how she does and if everything goes well I can start on all of the cosmetics. Thanks for the thought...I will pull up that patch tomorrow and see what it looks like under the floor. I sure hope the stingers and foam are in good condition!

aspeck

Staff member

Always liked the older Starfires. I bought the SS-1 because that was what I could afford at the time but wished it could have been the Starfire! Good luck with the refurb.

JeffsAV

Seaman

That will be a badazz rig when you get her done! I look forward to following your progress, and maybe seeing your boat on the water here in KS! Keep pics coming!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I pulled up the tin covering the hole in the lower floor last night and it looks like the original owner had just covered the old drain...I went ahead and cut that section of flooring out to check the stingers and to my surprise they looked great. I checked a couple other spots in the floors and they were all solid as well. I got all of the wiring to the bow stripped as well as some other misc. wiring. The restoration is on hold at the moment until I can get this Ol' Skeeter to the lake to test the motor...seems like I am have a little surging issue around 2500 RPM and 3K RPM and I've got to see what she will do under a load.

Attachments

• 031009hole.jpg
    031009hole.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 0

maxum247

Lieutenant

Good to hear the news on the deck. max!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That will be a badazz rig when you get her done! I look forward to following your progress, and maybe seeing your boat on the water here in KS! Keep pics coming!

What part of KS are you in? It's been too freaking cold to do anything to my boat the last couple of days...I have spring fever and I am stuck inside.:mad:

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So now I am just playing the waiting game...I should have the new switchbox on Monday and I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be the fix I am looking for so that I can actually start on the restoration. I have a ton of materials just sitting in my garage ready to go onto the Skeeter, but the wife tells me that nothing else is to get done to the boat until the motor is actually running.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Make sure you do a linc-n-synch on your Merc when you re-install the carbs...they have to be synched with the timing/throttle advance. Someone on the Merc outboard forum can probably tell you how it's done on your motor. Without a linc-n-synch it won't get up and go when you hit the throttle, it'll bog out instead. Guess you could patch the patch in the deck, but it looks like the deck has been replaced before. I'd consider pulling the old deck up and doing a complete replacement if you plan to keep and run the boat for a few years...and if your Merc checks out okay.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you do a linc-n-synch on your Merc when you re-install the carbs...they have to be synched with the timing/throttle advance. Someone on the Merc outboard forum can probably tell you how it's done on your motor. Without a linc-n-synch it won't get up and go when you hit the throttle, it'll bog out instead. Guess you could patch the patch in the deck, but it looks like the deck has been replaced before. I'd consider pulling the old deck up and doing a complete replacement if you plan to keep and run the boat for a few years...and if your Merc checks out okay.

Yeah, I plan on replacing the whole lower floor. As far as the linc-n-sync goes...I rebuilt the carbs, fuel pump, and put new switch boxes on. I checked the resistance on the Stator and Trigger, but when I got the new switchboxes on it today it still is bogging down really bad and as I throttle up it surges as well. Do you think that this is a Linc-n-sync and/or a timing problem or am I missing something else?

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Sounds like the timing and carbs are out of synch. The butterfly/throat valves in the carbs have to be synched to the throttle/timing advance...so they open smoothly and fully as you run up the throttle. I can tell you how to do it on old OMC outboards, but not your Merc...which I think has a timing belt? Used to have a 73 Merc 500 50hp in-line four...I paid about $50 for the local boat mech to do a link-n-synch...best money I ever spent. It would fly after that. A factory manual will tell you how to do yours, or check on the Merc outboard forum. Bogging and surging sounds like a synch problem.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If that is all that it it needed to get it to run smoothly then I will be a very, very happy man. I have spent a good 20+ hours on this motor trying to figure something out. I just want to get it running good so that I can finish the rest of the boat and get some fishing in before the summer passes me up. Thank you very much for your help and I will let you know how it turns out.

JeffsAV

Seaman

What part of KS are you in? It's been too freaking cold to do anything to my boat the last couple of days...I have spring fever and I am stuck inside.:mad:

I am in Lawrence. I have been going to Lake Clinton and Lone Star lake. It has been cold, but I go out anyway. I love being on the water in my boat. Get yours done and join me!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am in Lawrence. I have been going to Lake Clinton and Lone Star lake. It has been cold, but I go out anyway. I love being on the water in my boat. Get yours done and join me!

Count me in...hopefully I get this thing running in the next week and then it's just simple cosmetics and off to the lake, Yeah!!!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I took out the ol' Skeeter yesterday with the rectifier disconnected and she screamed across the water like a wild banshee! Thanks to everyone for all of the help and I can't explain how happy I am right now. I bought this boat last summer and the ol' merc never ran more than about 5 mph, LOL. I of course didn't have the tach or GPS up yesterday, but I would say that she was pushing 40+. Which was a little scary considering that my steering is partially stripped out, ha, ha. So now it is finally time to get down to the fun stuff...first on my list is to get her completely sanded down and prepped for paint. I will throw some pics up soon.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Most of the areas I want to repaint are a metalflake finish, does anyone know if I need to sand all the way through the metal flake before I primer and paint or do I just need to sand it down to a smooth finish?

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

I have a similar question. In fact, my situation will be very similar to yours. I am getting ready to buy a 1986 Ranger 373v with an Evinrude 150. Had the engine checked out said the compression was in good shape. It needs the carb rebuilt and a new fuel pump. I want to repaint it but I'm also thinking of only painting the metal flake? Been reading around and it doesn't look like you have to sand through the metal flake... good luck!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well...I have done some limited reading and I haven't found out any specifics on what to do. I guess I will proceed prepping the metal flake just like the other gelcoat, then prime and paint unless someone instructs me otherwise.