1983 Skeeter Bassboat Restoration

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1983 Skeeter Bassboat Restoration

Let me know how it goes! What kind of paint will you be using?

BassSpotter

Cadet

If you need any specs don't be shy to call your paint manufacturer they will beable to guide you with usage and if they can't answer your q's they will tell you who can.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BassSpotter, that is a great idea...I will call Rustoleum today just to double check their marine topside paint applications. I will let you know what they say soon.

torijake

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey New york,looks like your well underway with the resto.We emailed a few times a while ago and i was going to get you some pics of my 89 starfire 140.I recently had neck surgury and that has kind of kept me from doing much.I have more metal in me now than the boat does.LOL.Anyway glad you got the motor worked out and your project is underway.Will try and get some pics soon and will track your project.Good luck.
John....

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey New york,looks like your well underway with the resto.We emailed a few times a while ago and i was going to get you some pics of my 89 starfire 140.I recently had neck surgury and that has kind of kept me from doing much.I have more metal in me now than the boat does.LOL.Anyway glad you got the motor worked out and your project is underway.Will try and get some pics soon and will track your project.Good luck.
John....

That sound great John...maybe we can kick a few ideas back and forth.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the live wells cleaned out, I gutted the fuel compartment, and I have torn apart the bench seating so far this week. The plan is to get the rest of the hardware off of the boat including the steering wheel, console, and gauge clusters and get the majority of the sanding done tomorrow, but between tonight and tomorrow they are calling for 10 inches of snow in the KC area so we will see just how much I really can get done. It was over 70 degrees here 3 days ago...you gotta love Kansas weather, LOL.

Attachments

• 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Benchstorage.jpg
    Benchstorage.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 0
  • livewell.jpg
    livewell.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Fuelcompartment.jpg
    Fuelcompartment.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So with the 7 inches of snow that we received on Saturday and the sub freezing temps all weekend I have not been able to do a thing to my boat...and it sucks! I am just crossing my fingers that there wasn't any water left in the lower unit to freeze over the weekend.:cool:

Attachments

• 1snow1209.jpg
    1snow1209.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am getting ready to finish sanding, paint, and recarpet my boat, but the problem I am facing is that the old carpet didn't cover the whole bow just inset sections. I want to cover the entire area, but I don't want it to be unlevel. I have attached pictures below of the recessed flooring where the carpet was previously and I want to know what I can do to level the floor evenly so that the carpet will have the best look and feel. Is there a resin or liquid compund that I can brush or pour into the recessed area that will cure hard enough to take the abuse of a 240lb angler?

Attachments

• sktrbow1.jpg
    sktrbow1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 0
  • sktrbow2.jpg
    sktrbow2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

To each his own, but carpet in most fishing boats is a PITA...collects blood, funk, fades, and helps hold water and rot the deck. Have you considered roll-on bedliner or a custom cut removable rubber mat for a non-slip surface?

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, I have fought the idea both ways, but I just like the feel and look of carpet better who knows what I will end of doing, but the biggest thing is I would want this floor to have a straight and level surface either way.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I finally finished removing all of the old carpet clue and sanded the deck and floors to a smooth finish. I rematted the under side of the casting deck to give it extra strength. I glassed a couple holes that the previous owner had drilled through the deck and then I gave the deck and the lower floor a few coats of resin. I marked all of the areas on the hull that contained gouges or scratches, I then sanded down and filled with a fiberglass putty. I spent the majority of the day sanding the upper portions of the hull and the interior of the boat to prep for paint in the near future. I anticipate having the majority of the sanding on the interior and sides finished by next Friday night so that I can slap on the primer next Saturday morning.

Attachments

• SktrGlassedBow.jpg
    SktrGlassedBow.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SktrGlassedBow2.jpg
    SktrGlassedBow2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SktrGlassedFlr.jpg
    SktrGlassedFlr.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SktrGlassedFlr2.jpg
    SktrGlassedFlr2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since I will be using new hardware for all of the hatches and equipment I filled in the all of screw holes with fiberglass putty. I am finishing the sanding on these spots and sanding down the epoxy resin on the deck. As you can see from the pics I didn't brush out the air bubbles from the resin, but since I am adding additional layers I sanded them down and prepped for additional coverage. I still hear some crackling coming from the port side of the deck under pressure and I still want to level out the recessed areas of the bow for full carpet coverage so I plan on picking up some more resin and matting material today. I will then build up the recess with the fiberglass matting and resin to achieve a level surface that is flush with the surrounding contour. Once I get that out of the way it will be more sanding and then some more sanding, cleaning...and of course a little more sanding. Stayed tuned...

Attachments

• Sktrbowfilling.jpg
    Sktrbowfilling.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Sktrbowandfloor.jpg
    Sktrbowandfloor.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Sktrbowsanding.jpg
    Sktrbowsanding.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got the boat cleaned and applied a coat of primer on Thursday night and finished checking the boat over for additional blimishes. I will add pics tomorrow of the boat in it's primered condition. I have changed my plans a little as far as the carpet coverage is concerned...I can't find a good way to lay the carpet to cover all of the bow and aft decks so I am going to paint the areas additional areas and put new 20oz rubber backed carpet in the same areas the old carpet covered. Won't look as I had originally planned, but it will look a lot better than it did. I am getting ready to apply the first coat of Rustoleum Marine Paint using the "roll & tip" method and I will have pics up for that as well once I am finished. I hope it turns out alright, so keep your fingers crossed for me!

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It was a very busy week prepping and painting the Old Skeeter. After a coat of primer and only one coat of paint she was looking pretty good, but after 2 coats she was looking almost brand new. After the primer I noticed a few more spots that needed sanding attention and like everyone says "prepping is the most important part of restoring and painting a boat. I still missed a few spots, but they are probably more noticeable to me than anyone. I finished the paint on Wednesday, put in the carpet which still needs to be trimmed around the floors, but at least it is in. I used BP carpet glue which didn't work very well around the edges, but I got some 3M spray adhesive that bonds almost instantly and works twice as well as any glue I have ever used on carpet or fabric...$10/can but it was well worth it and it is flame and water resistant and it held up to a whole weekend of water and wear. I got all the hardware back on and one of the 2 fish finders with GPS and it seems to work great. I also Slapped on some retro Skeeter stickers and the registration numbers. I am still taking pictures and should have most of the pics posted in order with description within the next couple of days. I still have some interior touch ups to do, but I fished her from Thursday to Sunday with no problems so I have to say that I am happy with the results.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pre-Primer Stage...Sorry for the small thumbnails but just click for full size images.

Attachments

• Preprimer.jpg
    Preprimer.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Prepreimer2.jpg
    Prepreimer2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After Rustoleum Marine Primer Coat

Attachments

• Rustoleum.jpeg.jpg
    Rustoleum.jpeg.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Primered.jpg
    Primered.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After 1st coat of Red Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint

Attachments

• 1stredcoat.jpg
    1stredcoat.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rolling and tipping the 1st coat of Black Rustoleum Marine Topside Paint

Attachments

• 1stcoatblackrolling.jpg
    1stcoatblackrolling.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1stcoatredandblack.jpg
    1stcoatredandblack.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 0

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a pic after 1 coat of Red and 1 coat of Black. The black was quite a bit easier to roll and tip and really did not need a 2nd coat to look great.

Attachments

• 1stcoatfinished.jpg
    1stcoatfinished.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 0

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I glassed a couple holes that the previous owner had drilled through the deck and then I gave the deck and the lower floor a few coats of resin. I marked all of the areas on the hull that contained gouges or scratches, I then sanded down and filled with a fiberglass putty.

When you glassed the holes, did you use chopped up fiberglass in the resin (like the kitty hair product) or did you just use a putty?

It's interesting how much the front casting deck looks like the one on my 78 Cane Cutter I'm working on. Almost the same floor pattern where the carpet and well lid is located.