1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1982 Glastron Hpv165 bass boat restoration.

More weight, more resin, harder to bend over the edges if only based on it's thickness.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

More resin.:facepalm: Great point! Why can't they just have the darn 1708! Aaarg.:)

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

It's pretty crappy that this major distributor is so close to me, has what I need, but won't take my money! How messed up is that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Uhmm the 1608 would be fine for the stringers and the 1808 would be GREAT for the Transom. The 1808 will have no problem conforming to the shape of the transom you'll be fabricating. That extra ounce will not be an issue. I KNOW the source you're speaking of and they are a GREAT and Reputable source. One of the Major U.S. mfgs of Glass and Resin. They only do WholeSale and NOT Retail so you are OUt of luck unless you can find a local retailer. You will not have any issues with their products. If the prices are comparable then go for it.

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks woodonglass. I just spoke with them again about their 1708 and their reasoning makes good sense. They don't want to cut into a complete roll for just part of it. But it was priced at a fall on your face per yard amount. And I mean the good kind of fall on your face. It was less then $4 a yard.
WOW!

jbcurt00

Staff member

^^^ That's why its good to put it out there & let lots of people chime in.....

I took local wholesale supplier to be a dealer of some sort that had clearance material. That's usually not a great 'deal' if the glass has been compromised.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

This is a local business that buys from the major distributor in the area. They had the two other types of glass and the CSM on hand but not the 1708. So I asked him how much he would give me some 1808 or whatever it was for? He then told me he would call me back and let me know.
Turns out when we talked again that he was just going to go ahead and buy a whole roll of the 1708 and have it sent over. He will then just let me buy from him what I need. Hopefully it will last him long enough for me to go back and get some more if I need it. I think that was a pretty cool thing for them to do.
So by next Monday or Tuesday I will be able to just drive down there and get all of the supplies I need to get started. All of the glass, resin, chopped strand and cabosil in one place.

Just afew hours ago I finally finished grinding the hull.:joyous: I stripped the glass off of the old stringers and I cleaned out the shelter in prep for tear down.
I already have my starting peices of Arouco plywood so I will begin to cut my transom and stringers this weekend. I will use the one peice of old stringer for a template to see if it even fits the hull at all. If it matches the contour somewhat close, I think I will go ahead with it as a template but increase every dimension be an inch or so. I thought to do this so that I have room for trim and to try to bevel the stringers to fit the hull. I really want to bevel them. They weren't before and they were just hollow underneath. No PB or anything. So I really don't know how close they are even going to be now they are free of the hull and glass.
I would like to try and temp everything together to see if I can get my floor measurments to match up to measurments I originally took dropping down from my cross braces. I think that if I can manage to get the stringers cut to the right height and bevel, and temp some floor in to match the 9 drop down measurments that I took from my cross braces, plus get the stringers squared, I should be good to go.
I am a bit hung up on cutting the stringers right though. I'm also hung up on how flimsy the hull is and if when I cut the strigers loose and the transom and skin fell off, did the hull bow in a manner so that when I cut my new stringers and glass them in, will they lock the hull into the wrong form. Cause that can't be good!
So if anyone has any advice on this, and methods to measuring and cutting my stringers the right way the first time, I would appreciate the help. Because I can't wait to start cuttin!!!:joyous:

Thank everyone!!!

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I got the shelter torn down and the garage vacuumed and blown out really well today. I hope I dont need to deal with much more gringing. I will need to do some though and that's ok.
With the shelter out of the way I was able to get a very close look at how the hull had shifted. With all of the structure out of the boat, of course, the hull became very flimsy, and from the best that i can tell, it warped so that the port side stern was high, making the starboard side bow low. I noticed this first by standing at the stern facing the bow, placing a level on the stern most cross brace and seeing that the level bubble was touching the left line. Although this wasn't much, I stooped down, visually lined up all of the cross braces so they appeared as one brace stretching from side to side and pulled down slightly on the port stern corner. With the very small amount of force and travel it took to move the bubble back to center again, I noticed substantial upward flex in the starboard side of the bow.
Already knowing how flimsy the stern had become since I removed the center transom and transom skin had fallen out, I pushed down in the center directly beneath where the center transom would be and noticed the outer sides of the transom flexing inward. The hull had cracks down in the corners allowing the sides to flex outward. I then took a measurment from the inner edges of the transom sides and it spanned 39 3/4 inches. I took a measurement on the underside of the cap where it would fit over the top of the transom sides and it measured 39 1/4 inches, which would leave a full 1/4 inch underside gap between the cap and hull on both sides.
So I used a tie down strap to hook each end into opposite sides of the outer transom and sinched the corners in untill the cracks disappeared. When I measured the spanning distance on the outer transom again, it pulled the sides together to a distance of about 39 1/2 inches. This would now leave a gap of about 1/8 inch between the cap and hull on both sides. With the build up of glass that will be required to repair the missing center transom skin, this should put me about where I need to be for glassing the the transom back in and securing the sides back into the center transom itself. I might be cutting it pretty close on the tight side but I guess I will work that when I get there.
I also placed some boards on a jack and snugged it up against the bottom of the stern just beneath where the center transom should be to try and help eliminate as much flex as possible while working inside of the hull when I have to from now on. This is something I should definitely have done before now.
Now that I had imitaded having a solid transom and stern area, it was time to figure out how to level out the bow between the high port side stern and the low starboard side bow. To do this I just used a ratchet strap to hook up over the side of the hull just behind the stern most cross brace on the port side and secured the other side of it to the trailer. I then put one click at a time on it untill the level bubble centered out again. I then went to the bow most cross brace and put the level on it noticing the bubble still riding closer to the left line. I then slid the hull back more toward trailer center, hooked the hull back up to the trailer and put a few clicks on it locking it back into place, and the bubble leveled right back out.
So with the front cross brace level, I decided to put the level on the center cross brace and the stern cross brace again. They were all good.
So I guess this goes to show that even if the level is only a tiny bit off from visual dead of center, it could mean there are some pretty big changes that have taken place in the hull. So thanks to you guys for having me jack and level this thing before demo. Like you said, leveling will be a good indicator towards if there has been a shift of the hull. And it was!
I guess also, that with as flimsy and out of shape as this hull had become, especially missing a very important part of the hull structure, it's going to be even more important now to take a lot of accurate measurements between the hull outer edges, in as many different spots as possible, to the matching spots on the cap underside inner edges.

I also took a little bit of time to put the portside stringer back down into the hull to see if It was a very good match or not. Here's the verdict. It seems to match up pretty good untill it has to match the bend in the rise toward the bow. Now being that there is a section of it that was rotted out where it attached to the transom and I just decided to cut through it during demo and it's difficult to tell exactly where it would have mounted to the hull from bow to stern, it still didn't have a smooth match of any kind in this area no matter where I lined it up. So I think I can still use it as a general template, but it will need they will need to be tuned in for sure.

Here are some pics.

PhotoDesk140104122629.jpgDSC_0095.jpgDSC_0101.jpgDSC_0096.jpg

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I also went out again to HF today a picked up a whole bunch of their squeeze and lock clamps, a long flexible metal ruler/straight edge, a really cool angle measuring dial scale kind of thing that I hope will help me out a little bit with the stringer beveling process and a digital paint scale for measuring out my chems.
I plan to use all of the clamps to temp lock the stringers into place so that I might be able to figure out if they are cut right for the floor. I picked up a great idea for holding the stringers in place by spanning the clamps end to end and fastening them to at the proper distance from each other from Propellerheads thread. I thought it was a great idea. Especially while working alone.

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Today I got my transom boards cut and my stringer boards cut, but not fit. I laminated the two transom boards together by using a whole bunch of titebond 3 wood glue some screws, a couple of boards and a bunch of clamps. It's already setting up pretty fast so I hope it will be ready to be cut out tomorrow. I also measured and cut out a transom template from a peice of cardboard box.
I went to test fit the template into the space where my transom will be reinstalled, it didn't fit right. The port side seemed to fit square, but on the stardoard side, the top corner overlapped into the outer transom by about 1/2 inch. My first thought was that I had over sinched the tie down strap to get the correct gap between the two outer transom sections. So I re-checked the measurements on the hull and the cap and they were correct too. Next I decided to release the tie strap and check that measurement again too just for the heck of it. It sprung even further out then it was before. I strapped it back into place again. So then I released the ratchet strap pulling down on the port side of the stern most cross brace and the fit of the template finally squared up but the level bubble on the stern cross brace moved back toward the line and the hull warped again.
So I guess I took a few steps forward and also a few steps backward, but I found out that if I would have glassed the transom in with the hull in that configuration, I think it would have been crooked.
So my plan to temp everything in before I glass anything just won't work. Instead, I will just have to glass the transom in, try to re-straighten the hull and then glass down the stringers, which is really the way it would have been done to begin with but I wont be able to pre-fit and line everything up first. Having that missing transom skin really let the hull move a lot. I still think it will work out though.
I did find out that I can pick up my first load of my materials on Monday afternoon, so I'm pretty dang happy about that!:joyous:

I could still use some tips on creating that bevel without ruining my stringers. Thanks all.

DSC_0102.JPGDSC_0104.jpg

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You need to shore up the bottom of your boat better to immobilize it MHJ! Your problems are the exact reason a lot of people take their boats off the trailer and build a cradle for it.

Your boat is now a lot lighter and weaker than it was with the heavy old saturated stuff in it, and when you removed the transom and stringers it was weakened. As you have seen, just walking around and working inside your boat is going to cause it to shift and wiggle around.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Why doesn't the template extend all the way across the transom? Corner to corner:
attachment.php

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Hey JNG. I placed a jack with a board underneath the transom area and I have had the bow brace the entire time. I can see how having yhe cradle would have helped for sure.

Jbcurt00. The transom doesn't extend the entire length of the stern. The measurment on the board that I removed was 38 1/2 by 20. The remaining outer sections were part of the pods and full of foam. This will show you a bit better.

20131105_162611.jpg20131101_200819.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ok, and you're putting the pods & foam back in?

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

I got started out this afternoon by tracing my transom template onto my new transom board. I first tried using my jigsaw to make the cut but it would barely cut and wanted to force the blade onto an angle. I was using a new wood cutting blade so I'm not sure exactly what the problem was. When I attempt to cut my stringers, I think I will use a laminate blade that I have. So I started back at it with the circular saw and when it was cut out I just used my small air angle grinder with a 40 git disc to soften the edges and my 4.5 angle grinder with a 60 grit flap wheel to round off the edges for a smoother glassing transition. I then just layed it into the hull to check for a rough fit. It looked ok.

DSC_0109.JPGDSC_0113.JPGDSC_0115.JPG

Next, I removed the new transom board and then used a few small clamps and some duct tape to try and install the old peice of transom skin back into place to see where the line up issues were coming into play. With the tightening of a strap here and there and the raising and re-seating of the jack board underneath the stern of the hull, I finaly managed to get it to line up really well. The drain hole halves lined up and even the cracked out gelcoat around the edges.
After that I re-installed the new transom board using a few wood shims, a series of clamps, and a peice of angle iron in each corner to stabilize the stern area so that I could re-level the hull.

DSC_0122.JPGDSC_0136.JPG

Continued...

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Next I marked out my center line on my transom. I then extended a chalk line from the center tip of the bow point back to the center line on the transom and snapped a line across my center braces.
I took my pre-demo mesurement of 18 inches spanning in between my stringers and divided it exactly in half. Using the 9 I came up with, I marked a line 9 inches out each direction from my chalk line. Then I added 1/8 of an each each direction for compensation of the glass build up I measured on my stringers before they were stripped and another 3/4 for the width of the stringers.
Then I took three 4 foot peices of good straight hardwood I picked up and cut them into 2 foot sections. I lined them up with the outer lines and extended them down so they were just touching the hull, squared them and clamped them into place. Then I ran a peice of twine connected to the inside top of the front dropper and tied it directly to inside top of the rear dropper on both sides so I could check for and monitor the droppers for misalignment.

DSC_0127.JPGDSC_0128.jpgDSC_0129.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:

maryhannaj

Chief Petty Officer

Then I took the best peice of old stringer and again used my pre-demo measurement of 144 inches, layed the stringer against the inside edge of my droppers, pulled the stringer 144 inches front tip away from the temped in transom board, created a rough 1/4 inch gap beneath it and clamped it to the droppers working my way from stern to bow. This allowed the stringer to be suspended just above the hull and held into the pre-measured spot that I'm hoping my new stringers will be able to be installed. It even ended up fitting the contour of the hull again once it was put back into it's original spot. I think this will really help out because I wasn't sure exactly how I would referance were the forward most ends of the stringers had to line up after grinding out all of the old tabbing material and don't want them to bow to the sides at all. Now I just need to figure out how to cut the new stringers to match the proper sole height.

DSC_0135.JPGDSC_0134.JPGDSC_0133.jpg
DSC_0131.jpg

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Hey, I thought you were worried about how to do this!!! Looks to me like you got it figured out pretty well!!!! I'd leave the cross braces and some band clamps in place on your hull at all times until the stringers and transom were installed.

Jig saws are notorious for making angled cuts. Blades are just not stiff enuf. You have to go really slow in order to get a straight up and down cut. Use it to angle cut the stringers. They don't have to be perfect. That's what the PB is for. It will fill in the imperfections.