1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My first Starcraft

Got the 3rd coat on today, man the green is just looking better and better. Everything is pretty well covered, but I am going to do 1 more coat just for the heck of it. 1 gallon of rustoleum paint goes a long way with the sprayer. 3 coats, and still half a gallon left. I will get some pics up a little later.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here are the pictures of coat number 3. Just keeps looking better!

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

sprintst

Commander

Looking good.

You're a good chunk of the way there...

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow that looks great! I'm going to have to paint eventually too. Also I have a 150hp and your 115 will push it decently.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys!

I got the 4th and final coat of green on today. Once it is dry I am going to tape off everything and get started on the bottom of the hull. I have some idea's I have been playing around with and I think it will look pretty good when it is all done.

Here are the pictures of the 4th coat. Next pictures will have some more color other than green to them!

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got some of the taping done this evening. I know it would be a lot easier to just use plastic, but I have a enough of this blue painter tape and it needs to be used. So i am just going to tape everything off. Tomorrow I am hoping to get the first coat on the bottom of the hull.

IMG_0126.jpg

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

As soon as you can..Get that blue tape off.ESPECIALLY if out in the weather.I made a bad mistake of leaving that blue goo on too long, then it rained...what a mess..was (and some still is!) stuck on my alum trim!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I was not planning on leaving it on fore more than 72 hours. Is that too long? It is supposed to be sunny and 72 degrees outside. Anyone have thoughts on this, or should i just go get some plastic?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Maybe throw a tarp over it? I think sun/rain each cause that tape to stick a little too much.

Our buddy RickAirMedic had an incident with the same tape only green I think. Short-term use only is what he advised after the ordeal.

The rig is looking good, keep it up and she'll be flipped soon:)

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys!

I got 2 coats of the paint on the bottom of the hull. I am going to give it a couple hours and then go pull the tape off. we are supposed to have rain moving in at midnight, so I need to get that tape off before it rains! Two coats covered it pretty well. I will do a third in a couple days when the sunshine picks up again.
I will take and post some pictures in a couple hours.

Thanks for the advise on the tape, I probably would of just left it on for the next week and effectively ruined the paint job!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yes definitely get the tape off as soon as possible. It pulled all of Rick's paint off. And in the future remember BLUE TAPE BAD, GREEN TAPE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should paint the bottom tan, then your'd have Starcraft: Eddie Bauer Edition.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks EZ, I will remember the Green tape next time!

I went down a pulled all the tape off. It came off without a hitch. No paint peeling, or marks left behind. The paint is looking really good! For my first attempt at a two-tone paint job I am very very pleased with it! The lines coming down to the bow are not perfect, but it is what it is at this point. I decided to go with black on the bottom. I had half gallon left over from the last boat i painted, so I decided just to use it up and save the $26 I would of spent on the white.

I think it looks really good, I am very pleased with it! Let me know what you guys think!

DSC_0025-3.jpg

DSC_0024-3.jpg

DSC_0023-3.jpg

DSC_0022-3.jpg

DSC_0026-4.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes definitely get the tape off as soon as possible. It pulled all of Rick's paint off. And in the future remember BLUE TAPE BAD, GREEN TAPE GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EZ, just out of curiosity, why is the green tape better? I don't know the difference.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It prevents bleed-under better and comes off cleaner. WAY better. It's expensive but worth it.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks. I will remember that for next time!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well not much to report today.

I bought a trailer this morning (forgot to bring my tape), the guy told me he just had a 20' sitting on it with room to move the winch stand forward. It looked big enough so I bought it. $100. Got the trailer home and the overall length is 19ft, and with the weight of the outboard i just don't feel comfortable with the boat hanging 2ft over the end of the trailer. So the trailer is for sale again.

I am planning on just letting the boat sit for a couple days to let the paint fully cure. I will then flip it back over and start gluvit on the inside. I am looking forward to getting started on the inside of the boat!

Well off to spend some time with the wife. Have a good night!

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the black. When I repaint mine its going to be black lower/blue & white upper as well.

I can't remember where I read it but there was a study done....this guy had canoes or kayaks or something of various colors, red, yellow, black, green, white...he had a scuba diver follow him and observe the reactions of fish to the boats. His study determined that colors like black, OD green, brown, etc. spook the fish considerably less than did the red, yellow, white, etc...something to consider for shallow lake fishermen doing restos maybe.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the black. When I repaint mine its going to be black lower/blue & white upper as well.

I can't remember where I read it but there was a study done....this guy had canoes or kayaks or something of various colors, red, yellow, black, green, white...he had a scuba diver follow him and observe the reactions of fish to the boats. His study determined that colors like black, OD green, brown, etc. spook the fish considerably less than did the red, yellow, white, etc...something to consider for shallow lake fishermen doing restos maybe.

Thanks. I like the black as well. Has a very northwestern feel. I think it is great for washington state!

That color study would be a interesting one to read more about. Most the lakes we fish around here are only 20-50ft deep. I will have to try and find some more details on that.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I got some work done on the boat. Got her flipped back over. Vacumed out the inside of the hull. Got the aluminum stringers all riveted back into place.

I have been looking at a lot of the starcraft resto's on here, trying to get some idea of how all this goes back together. A little hard since I did not take it all apart. My question is, does the splash well have to go back in before the deck or after?

Thanks guys for all the help thus far! Hoping to get a couple days on the water before summer ends.

Good night.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

One of the nice things about Starcrafts is that the transom and the deck have nothing to do with one another. If I were you I'd leave the splashwell out till after you put the deck and transom in.