1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My first Starcraft

Well, I have not made any progress on the boat since I finished riveting in the stringers.

I am leaving tomorrow for a 5 day camping trip, We were able to extend it a day. Get to spend some great time camping with the wife and kids, and friends. Gonna also spend some time kayaking the san juan islands. Should be a fun trip.

When i get back, I will hit it full speed on the boat.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok guys, I am back!

We had a great camping trip. Spent a lot of time hiking, fishing, and swimming. Some great laughter, and great memories made around the camp fires. Overall a great time! We did not even want to come home.

Got back on the boat this morning. I used the Coat-it and coated all the rivets. Everything should be watertight when it is all set up. Either today or tomorrow I am going to get the new deck ready to go in.

One question I have with the deck, is how do I fasten it to the aluminum stringers?

Here is the only pic I took of the coat-it. Hopefully it works as well as the marine shop says!

IMG_0147.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Cool.

I was just planning on using deck screws, but just wanted to make sure that there was no special way of doing it.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I got the first coat of deck stain on the deck. I have decided not to use epoxy resin, and give the cabot stain a shot. My deck on the house will see more weather than the boat deck will. So i am going to try it out and see how it works. If i end up having to replace the boat deck in a couple years, it really is not that big of deal.

IMG_0155.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I got the second coat of stain on the decking. once dry it will be ready to go into the boat.

I have been searching like mad for a trailer. I really did not think it would be this difficult to find a trailer for this. There are a lot of 17'-19' trailers, but I just can't find one for a 21' without spending 2k. I would like to get the boat on a trailer before i start putting the deck in so it would be on a level surface to work with.

Until i get the trailer, I will be working on painting the top of the boat green. Getting the splash-well and steering console painted. New transom cut out and installed. So there are things to do to keep me busy. I am just getting anxious to get a trailer.

Anyway, it will all come together with time.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

One question I have. I am going to buy the new foam to into the boat at lowes. I am wondering what the difference is between the white foam sheets, blue foam sheets, and the pink foam sheets. Does it make a difference on what to use?

Thanks.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

White is bad and will absorb water. Pink and blue are, for all intents and purposes, the same. I think Lowes has blue and HD pink :)

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

Ok guys, I am back!

We had a great camping trip. Spent a lot of time hiking, fishing, and swimming. Some great laughter, and great memories made around the camp fires. Overall a great time! We did not even want to come home.

Got back on the boat this morning. I used the Coat-it and coated all the rivets. Everything should be watertight when it is all set up. Either today or tomorrow I am going to get the new deck ready to go in.

One question I have with the deck, is how do I fasten it to the aluminum stringers?

Here is the only pic I took of the coat-it. Hopefully it works as well as the marine shop says!

IMG_0147.jpg

did you brush the coat-it on ??

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

One question I have. I am going to buy the new foam to into the boat at lowes. I am wondering what the difference is between the white foam sheets, blue foam sheets, and the pink foam sheets. Does it make a difference on what to use?

Thanks.

use the blue or pink NOT the white. that white will eventually absorb water and as it breaks down years down the road you will end up with all those little white foam " pellets " in your boat. cbg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys! I definitely would not want little useless pellets in my boat!

Coolbikeguy,

I did just brush the coat-it on. I brushed just a thin coat on all the rivets. It took for ever cause there were so many rivets!::eek: But they are all sealed nicley, and I am very happy so far with how it came out. The Coat-it is really tough stuff once it is set up. I think it was a great alternative to the gluvit. Cost me $42 to do the whole boat.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys! I definitely would not want little useless pellets in my boat!

Coolbikeguy,

I did just brush the coat-it on. I brushed just a thin coat on all the rivets. It took for ever cause there were so many rivets!::eek: But they are all sealed nicley, and I am very happy so far with how it came out. The Coat-it is really tough stuff once it is set up. I think it was a great alternative to the gluvit. Cost me $42 to do the whole boat.

where did you find it for 42 bux ?? the site shows for like 67 bux i think ( for the gallon )

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My local marine shop was selling the stuff on sale at $18 for a 2lb kit, so i bought 2 of them. with tax, $42.37.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

My local marine shop was selling the stuff on sale at $18 for a 2lb kit, so i bought 2 of them. with tax, $42.37.

when was the sale ? maybe i send you the $ and ship it to me..... save me 20 bux lol

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The sale was right when our crabbing season started 2 weeks ago. I have not been in there since, the normal price is 24.95 for a 2lb kit or $60 for a 8lb kit. I can check on friday when i am out that way, but i don't know what the cost for shipping would be.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

The sale was right when our crabbing season started 2 weeks ago. I have not been in there since, the normal price is 24.95 for a 2lb kit or $60 for a 8lb kit. I can check on friday when i am out that way, but i don't know what the cost for shipping would be.

if its up to regular price i might aswell get it from their site..... gone do a price comp on epoxy resin from them and us composites also so might get both in one order

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

So this afternoon I was taking a nap on the couch (just a lazy kind of day), and I wake up to a lot of noise going on down below my house on my property. My boat is down there, as long as a couple other boats that I am storing for a friend. The noise is a loud ****, ****, ****, kind if sound. Something traveling fast and hitting metal. I throw on some shoes and run down there, 2 of the neighbor teen's are standing there with paintball guns shooting my boat! I run over, and one of them sees me coming and say's "Oh ______". I said some choice words and tell them to get off my property before i call the cops. They sure enough book it. This is the 2nd time i have caught them goofing around down there. If there is a 3rd time, I am calling the cop's and taking my shotgun down with me.

IMG_0157.jpg