1978 Starcraft Mariner 210 Restoration

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: My first Starcraft

Thanks guys! I will be ordering that first thing tomorrow.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I can't sit still on this thing any longer. I still don't have a trailer, but I have a couple new prospects.

I have decided to take advantage of the grass it is sitting in. Tomorrow I am going to take the top off and roll the boat over to get started on the paint. I picked up some primer and sanding blocks from lowes today, so I am ready to get rolling the boat. My plan is to paint the hull why i am still searching for a trailer, and then worry about the gluvit, new foam, deck, transom, fiberglass work, and interior.

Be looking for some more pictures in the next couple days.

DSC_0142-4.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Finally made a little progress this morning. I got the top removed, the boat cleaned out, and it is ready to flip later this afternoon. One question i have, there are a few small (1/4") holes on the hull. Would JB weld be sufficient? Here are a few pics. More to come later today!

IMG_0120.jpg

I slid the top as far forward as possible before i took it off. Let me know what you guys think. I don't know if it is better where it was or up further towards the bow.

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

And here she is with no top.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn170/Isaacmcdowell/Starcraft/IM
G_0124.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Thanks guys! I am excited to finally start the restoration process!

Last edited:

bananaboater

Ensign

You need to make that decision since you will be using the boat. In a previous reply I thought far forward but...

One question I have, if and how do you plan to span the gap between the forward deck and the front of the cabin. Seems like that needs to be part of the decision.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You need to make that decision since you will be using the boat. In a previous reply I thought far forward but...

One question I have, if and how do you plan to span the gap between the forward deck and the front of the cabin. Seems like that needs to be part of the decision.

i don't know yet what I am going to do. If i slide it forward I don't know what i would do with that small of a space. A friend suggested leaving it where it was at and putting in some "open bow" seating. The other thought i have is somehow closing in that gap and having a small little cuddy. I don't know what route i am going to take yet. I would love to hear all thoughts and opinions.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Got her flipped over this afternoon and got the first look at the underside of the hull. For the most part it is in good condition, there are a few small spots that need some attention. Tomorrow i am picking up a generator to run some power tools off of, and get this thing painted and looking pretty!

DSCF2609-1.jpg

DSCF2608-1.jpg

DSCF2607.jpg

Drewb082001

Seaman Apprentice

haha fun times flipping that boat, i cant wait till you get that thing painted/finished. its gonna be fun helping you put that thing all back together and taking it out. its gonna be awesome if we take it on crabapple cause it would be the biggest boat on the lake! haha

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

haha fun times flipping that boat, i cant wait till you get that thing painted/finished. its gonna be fun helping you put that thing all back together and taking it out. its gonna be awesome if we take it on crabapple cause it would be the biggest boat on the lake! haha

It would be hella funny to take on crabapple. throw the electric motor on it and fish the lake! We should do it!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I got some aluminum polyurethane filler and filled in all the deep scratches. I don't know how well this stuff will hold up, if at all. But I thought it was worth the try. Next step is to sand the boat, give it a bath, and then begin priming it.

DSC_0145.jpg

DSC_0144.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

While i was waiting for the aluminum filler to dry, I got the first coat of primer on the top piece. Going to do one more coat, and then start painting it.

DSC_0161.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey guys. I have spent the last 30 min very poorly photo-shopping different colors on the hull. I can't really decide what I like best. I know the decision is mine ultimately but I would love to get some votes from others. Take a look and let me know which ones you like best.

boatyellow.jpg

Boatcolorgreen.jpg

boatblue.jpg

boatblack.jpg

macca123

Seaman

I would be getting rid of that frame, it looks hideous, that hull is saying to me, make me a centre console then add a t top you would have yourself a great fishing rig.

Andy in NY

Commander

I would be getting rid of that frame, it looks hideous, that hull is saying to me, make me a centre console then add a t top you would have yourself a great fishing rig.

+1

for color, the black looks good...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any bright color on the sides conrasting with a white top and bottom will look great. You've done enough black boats already :D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys for the input.

I am not getting rid of the top, but I have decided to make it removable. Up here Tuna fishing is open year round in the bay, so the top will be very nice during the winter months.

EZ, I am leaning towards the Blue and white. I am also considering a red and white. I agree though that I have done enough black lately.

Today I am looking at a couple trailers. Hopefully one of them will work out and I will bring it home!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I spent yesterday sanding, sanding, and more sanding on the boat. And guess what, There is still some sanding to be done. I am making a trip to HF today and picking up a HVLP sprayer. I am going to make my first attempt at spraying on this boat. If anyone has any tips i would love to hear them.

In the spirit of working on the boat, my wife gave me my fathers day present early this year. New drill and saw combo kit, on sale at Lowes for $89.00. The drill alone was $129.

DSC_0164.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Today I finished the sanding on the boat. Got it up on blocks and gave it a bath. All i have to do is remove all the lettering and it will be ready to paint! Tomorrow (weather permitting) I am going to spray the primer, and hopefully the first coat.
I have decided to do a Green and White. Hopefully it will come out good!

I ran to HF today and bought a 20oz HVLP sprayer, 50-70 psi and 6cfm.

Next time you see pictures of the boat, it will be all painted up and looking good!

DSC_0165.jpg

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Woke up early this morning and got all the lettering off the boat. Nothing like a heat gun and a BBQ wire brush.

I don't think the weather is going to cooperate for me to get some painting done. It is supposed to be nicer out tomorrow, so I am hoping to get the first coats of primer on then.

Today I am also going to look at a 16ft Cheetah, I/O with a 140hp 4cyl, and a mercruiser drive. The best part is the boat is free! So i am hoping to be able to sell it as is for a few bucks to grow the starcraft fund a little.

i will post pictures of it later!

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

here are pics of the boat i picked up for free. I am just going to try and sell it for a few bucks to add to the starcraft fund. If all else fails, I can part the drive and motor, and give the boat and trailer away for free.

DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

North Beach

Commander

Isaac,
That's a Mariner 210 you got there. A center console. The framework is some sort of after market or home made frame for a canvas of some sort. The "windshield" was probably clear plastic, if it was ever actually used on that boat.

Take a look at the 89 Mariner thread in my signature. It's a tad newer but the layout is pretty much the same.

The lapstrake aluminum on the sides of yours tells us it's a 70 era CC.