1973 14' SmokerCraft Zephyr Rebuild

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1973 14' SmokerCraft Zephyr Rebuild

More aluminum and rivets? JA you need a bondo boat. Looks good though. Maybe a 455 and a jet drive for this one?:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

That didn't take long to get a new project!

Jeez...I turn around and you score another boat..

Yah, the hull design kinda appealed to me some, so I went for it:)

Nice score...1 question...where are you gonna put the battery?

PUNK:p

Cheers Baja

Thinking you ought to be done with it by next weekend.

One thing is sure, this one should go quick compared to the other two, like it!!

Dude,..............What was that white stuff on your face???,..........................:rolleyes:

I'm old. And crabby.

"Hey! Get off the lawn!!!! Darn kids."

looks like a pretty solid boat!

Yah, I do believe she will make for a good platform to rebuild.

Does this mean that fishing b-day party is happening on this boat then??? The splash date of the Islander didn't move did it??? :eek:

Nope! 7/26 that Islander needs to be ready!

More aluminum and rivets? JA you need a bondo boat. Looks good though. Maybe a 455 and a jet drive for this one?:eek:

Yah, I've been thinking about going glitter boat.

HHHHhahahhhaaaahhahhahhaa!!!!!

Ah, no, not doin that!:p

Have a good one guys!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well teamster, I'm having a tough time...

I am seeing a lot of OB's out there in the 25 HP range. None in short shaft and hardly any tillers. Almost all of them are remote. Long shaft I can work with by just building up the transom, not a real biggie. But, not seeing a tiller out there is a little troublesome. The couple I did see came at a premium too. I can put a console in this boat but I really don't want to. Bah.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Glitter boat What a great name. Cant wait to see what you have in store for her.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

stick steer maybe????

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Well teamster, I'm having a tough time...

I am seeing a lot of OB's out there in the 25 HP range. None in short shaft and hardly any tillers. Almost all of them are remote. Long shaft I can work with by just building up the transom, not a real biggie. But, not seeing a tiller out there is a little troublesome. The couple I did see came at a premium too. I can put a console in this boat but I really don't want to. Bah.

Keep looking,.......I would bet you'll find something worth waiting for,....

I'm sure I see more of them in my area being near MN, The land of people that fish backwards in their tiller boats,....lol,...

If you see a screaming deal in my area I might be able to help get it to the bridge for ya,.....I haven't had a real pasty in awhile and a stop at Doubers (sp) sounds like fun!!!,.........

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

stick steer maybe????

I don't know if that is considered legal "remote steering" in Michigan,....

I know it is legal in most southern states, But I know it wasn't legal in Wisconsin last I knew,....I guess that could have changed????

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Very cool boat! I think you should make a nifty little drift boat that can motored in larger rivers or lakes...

Funny that a Mississippi guy is trying to make a trout fisherman out of ya.....fwiw, you'll lose a lot less flies to the trees when fishing out of a boat...

I see cool things and good times in your future with this rig...

Good stuff!

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder what your wife would say if you snuck this home and put it in the weeds????,......:D

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jas, The guy working on my boat is working for a Johnson 48 SPL that I have. It will replace a 60 or 70 something 25hp OMC something-twin, short shaft, tiller. I asked him if it ran and he said "Yeah, but it surges a little, needs a fuel pump rebuild." I asked him what he wanted for it, he said with a shrug, "Buck and a quarter or so..." It is similar looking to the 25 in Teamster's link above, but maybe a little more "vintage".

It's a long haul from here in central PA to way up in MI, but if you're interested I'll take a closer look at it and we'll figure out how to get it there. The FedEx Ground guy will take about anything he can carry.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

stick steer maybe????

Hmmmmmmmmm, stick steer. Interesting. Very interesting. That might be a fun route for this boat:D I'll have to think on that.

Glitter boat What a great name. Cant wait to see what you have in store for her.

Very cool boat! I think you should make a nifty little drift boat that can motored in larger rivers or lakes...

Funny that a Mississippi guy is trying to make a trout fisherman out of ya.....fwiw, you'll lose a lot less flies to the trees when fishing out of a boat...

I see cool things and good times in your future with this rig...

Good stuff!

Thanks fellas, yah my wheels are turning. I think I have a plan for the rig and it should be a pretty easy rebuild:)

a 60 or 70 something 25hp OMC something-twin, short shaft, tiller.

Yah, I think I'd like to stay at least in the late 70's or so. PM yur way...

Teamster - I kinda want to stay in that 25 hp range, I think that would be a real nice fit. Course a 30 would be fun, 35 would be fast!:D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder what your wife would say if you snuck this home and put it in the weeds????,......:D

Knuts,......

I forgot the link,....................It was a cl ad for a 22 foot Starcraft in your area,...$800.00,.....

The post would have been sort of funny if I had remembered the link,......:facepalm:

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmmmmmmmm, stick steer. Interesting. Very interesting. That might be a fun route for this boat:D I'll have to think on that.

Thanks fellas, yah my wheels are turning. I think I have a plan for the rig and it should be a pretty easy rebuild:)

Yah, I think I'd like to stay at least in the late 70's or so. PM yur way...

Teamster - I kinda want to stay in that 25 hp range, I think that would be a real nice fit. Course a 30 would be fun, 35 would be fast!:D

I'll keep my eyes open for one and pm you if I see something,.....

Like I said, There seem to be lot's of em' around,.............

Triton II

Commander

Good to see the next project getting underway Jas. Good looking tinny mate! :)

TII

jbcurt00

Staff member

Congrats on the new family addition. Yeah, this Zephyr might make for close quarters for that b-day outing:D

Good looking rig! Vintage, 1 PO, not registered & on public waterways since '92 & in good shape? Great find! How many times did you 'happen' to run by the house w/ it in the yard?

Tire's were the 1 thing not sketchy on the SC, the rest of the trailer was extremely sketchy, but we made it home....

I see this being one of your son's b-day gift. One day. Keeping it in the family just like the PO & his son:). If only so Pops can get himself a 25'+ Cuddy for him & the MRS...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for stopping in fellas;)

So, I did manage to get a little bit done on the SmokerCraft.

I got the boat off the trailer. One guy, 4.5 seconds. Gosh, working on small boats is sooo nice!
P1080420.jpg

P1080422.jpg

In looking at the trailer there really wasn't a whole lot to use besides the frame...
P1080421.jpg

The difference between the "quick and easy" job and a "full rebuild" of this trailer really wasn't all that different. So, after some knuckle bustin and cutting I pulled everything off, scraped the loose stuff, cleaned it up, ready for paint...
P1080423.jpg

I got some paint on but it was getting dark so I'll hit you with those photos later.

Have a great Thursday:)

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant

Im off the forum for a couple days and when I return you scored another tin boat.... congrats Jas!