1973 14' SmokerCraft Zephyr Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1973 14' SmokerCraft Zephyr Rebuild

OK guys, looking for opinions here.

First, hull color. The bottom of the hull is already bare alum so I'm going to clean that up and SharkHide, cool. Now, upper hull color I have narrowed down to...

White. I really like the clean, classic, simple look of a white rig. I know you guys love my drawings so...
P1080371-1.jpg

Green. I think the green over bare alum has a cool utility boat look to it.
P1080371-2.jpg

I realize that it's a little early in the game but I am painting the trailer right now. If the boat is to be green, grey trailer. If the boat is to be white, white trailer.

So whatcha think, green or white?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Next, I need thoughts on tiller vs. remote. I think you guys know the pros/cons so here are a few photos of what I have in mind...

supersnapper14int500.jpg

VP1751011_1.jpg

2010_starcraft_sf1420dlx_sc.jpg

sport-fishing-boat-bay-boat-aluminium-side-console-222174.jpg

173935_p_t_640x480_image01.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Or tiller...

2010%20SF%201420%20FLLW-1.jpg

NV216252_0.jpg

fish-brochure-4756_16b.jpg

VP1117728_2_large.jpg

One thing is sure, I am having a tough time finding a 25 hp tiller, far more remote long shaft outboards available.

I'm kinda on the fence. I like the tiller as it gives me more space, it's more simplistic, and so much easier to rebuild the boat. I hate the tiller as I can never let go while underway, it's uncomfortable for long runs, and it's just a bit of a safety concern with my kiddos still being young yet (if something goes bad and I need to grab them quick, I have more ground to cover, plus let go).

Anyway...

Prolly not a right answer out there. Just thinking out loud.:)

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

I know I am not a metal boat guy, but I am fan, so I'll chime in...

Color is totally a personal preference, and there are great examples all over these boards of making any color work, but I tend to favor boats that are white/cream or any shade of blue... So, I'd vote for white.... (not green - sorry).... I think it make the boat look and feel bigger...

I like all of the potential set-ups there, but you have a shallow draft so I would fear it being a little tippy (especially with kids) if you did too much decking. However, stepping over bench seats while you are trying to land/net a fish or keep a kid from crawling overboard is also a royal PITA.

So I tend to favor the color and set up the white Alumacraft in the second to last picture. Again, you can't go wrong.. and well know it will be a great fishing boat whether you keep it simple with a tiller or pimp it out a little....

It's your canvas, man, looking forward to watching you paint...

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

OK guys, looking for opinions here.

P1080371-1.jpg

P1080371-2.jpg

So whatcha think, green or white?

Gosh, didn't we just go through this......LOL

I've been pondering getting a mini-tinny myself...

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with Patrick that color is really personal, but I will say that I am fan of green.
As far as tiller/remote... I think I would go with tiller. Your concerns and pros for remote make a lot of sense, but you'll have much more room and also a much quicker build. You'll find a motor, just may take a little time.

Tthomp3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the white, but have you thought of a blue or are you not a fan? I would go with the remote, anyone can throw a tiller on there and go with it and there are so many tillers running around. The remote makes the boat nicer to drive and looks cooler. All of our duck hunting boats are tillers around here and going on a long run to a hunting spot is annoying and unpleasant

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

You asked...

572 cu.in. 876 Blower, Dual 1150 Holleys, Open headers, MSD Magneto Ignition, Cable Pull Throttle, Tiller steer, Shaft Drive, Pedestal Fishing Seat, Flames Paint Job, 300 Gallon Fuel Cell, 12v Start Battery...Just enough room left for 1 fishing pole, small selection of tackle, life jacket and 1 occupant...PLUS, 6 Tubers, 3 Wake Boarders and 8 Skiers...:eek:
SmokerCraftV1.jpg

:D

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

Thats what Im talking about except with more glitter:p

rheagler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to have whatever GT is drinking please:D

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Ummm,.......................Tiller!!!

I am a fan of tillers, Mostly because they offer much better boat control for fishing,.............

And it will keep everybody in the boat in front of you so you can see what's going on,........

It also makes for a quicker rebuild,........

jbcurt00

Staff member

Ummm,......................I am a fan of tillers........

Hmmm, I'm not exactly sure, but this isn't really NEW information is it? This is a new thread:rolleyes:

Nice job w/ the mock up GT:cool: 1 question though:

Is it really a good idea to have the throttle pull cable tied directly to the throttle? As that big block presses you further into the helm seat, pulling a couple extra G's, you're PULLING back on the throttle, unable to let go. Not unlike a skier who refuses to let go of the tow rope until they use their lower lip as a high speed water funnel:eek::D

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

I like the last 2 pics of the console setup but sure does make that boat look tiny...... For a pure hardcore fishing boat i'd be tiller... with white on white....

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like the white topsides myself. Wouldn't get as hot, either.
And I like the tiller option since you're beam isn't too wide. You could build a little side console like you did for the Jet, but you'd lose a lot of space.
As for safety, you would have all passengers in immediate sight with you in the back, and if something happens you can kill the throttle immediately.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think that's a tiller boat. And it should be maroon or red.

DJ, get your dad to buy one. That's what I did, works well. He never uses it without me anyway :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Hi fellas, up early so let's see if I can get caught up a little here...

So I tend to favor the color and set up the white Alumacraft in the second to last picture. .

Yah man, that's a pretty sweet set up there...

Gosh, didn't we just go through this......LOL

I've been pondering getting a mini-tinny myself...

Yah, sorry man, we actually did just go through this actually, ugh.

I see a bunch of nice 14' alum boats down your way dj, just the other day there was one posted for like 100 bux with the trailer. You should grab one since the SS isn't slated to be completed for a few years yet:p

have much more room and also a much quicker build.

Yah, I do like the simplicity of the tiller. And, a console would prolly double my rebuild time. Well, good thing is I have been through that process so maybe I can move a little quicker.

I like the white, but have you thought of a blue or are you not a fan? I would go with the remote, anyone can throw a tiller on there and go with it and there are so many tillers running around. The remote makes the boat nicer to drive and looks cooler. All of our duck hunting boats are tillers around here and going on a long run to a hunting spot is annoying and unpleasant

Islander will be blue;)

I hear ya. Probably the major reason the console is even part of the equation is there are nice days when I head out to the Bay, solo, where the run can be 10 - 12 miles round trip. That gets to be a drag on a tiller. If I didn't have that sitting in the background it would be a tiller for sure.

12v Start Battery..

GT, you totally had me up till here. Then, I got lost so I'll need to do some more research;)

Thats what Im talking about except with more glitter

This here is a metal boat PST:p

Ummm,.......................Tiller!!!

I already had your vote marked actually Teamster:rolleyes:

I like the last 2 pics of the console setup but sure does make that boat look tiny....

Yur right, it does eat up some space. Worth it? Hmmmmm.....

And I like the tiller option since you're beam isn't too wide. You could build a little side console like you did for the Jet, but you'd lose a lot of space.

Yah, this SmokerCraft isn't but a smidge smaller than the Jet and that was actually quite comfortable with the console in there. So, I think I may be able to maximize my space if I'm smart about it.

And it should be maroon or red.

Yah, I just don't think I can pull off a red boat really. Shoot, I was pretty happy to have it narrowed to just two options!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The tiller is easy to justify so here's a couple more shots to help justify the side console, just for the heck of it...

5K55F35Hc3G23Mb3Ibc41ee87848314f716aa.jpg

5G15F85Md3Ge3M83Ncc4197403644d707149d.jpg

5G85Kb5Md3I13Me3J2c4cbd7bbb32f2dd1ca2.jpg

5Nb5Ic5Mf3Ja3N33Hcc4c63baf7539913197b.jpg

As least with all these photos of other doods boats you can kinda see what I'm after for this SmokerCraft anyhow.

Have a great Saturday guys:)

InMotion

Commander

Dooood..... it seams like you keep comin' back to the side console setup... no doubt you'll make the best choice for your needs... but just an observation. In the end both have positives... it's just whether you can live with the negatives of each setup. IMO --- I like steering wheels... I just don't like the feel of the boat in the wind. It just really blows the front around when I am out alone... and the comfort for longer runs....so I would go that route myself!!!

Curious to see which direction you take her though....:)

It's just gotta have the flames on the side though!!!!:D