1972 Sea Ray

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1972 Sea Ray

yes the cooling water after the engine enters the exhaust and flows out of the boat with the exhaust... there is no possible way we can tell you how without being in the boat... it may have a Y pipe and flow out through the drive or it may go through the transom...

JUST RELAX and think about something.... ANYTHING else.... puppies... BBQ ribs... whatever to get your mind off of it... Once you start tearing it apart it will be plain as day....

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Yea your right, but while I sit at work and wonder it drives me nuts to think that I will have to fabricate a expensive fix into this. Although even running pipes out the transom for exhaust/water outlet shouldn't be all too difficult. Not like they are large holes but I woul still leave that to the pro's. More information to follow tomorrow after I grab boat and park it in my driveway to examine. At least though I do know since one side is intact the other one should be able to be replicated one way or another.

Let's hope after all said and done lol, the motor in itself checks out and I have nothing to worry about execept general maint. Thanks again for your time and will post results and photos tomorrow or shortly after.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do you have through hull exhaust or does the exhaust hose connect to a Y Pipe and then to the drive?

You biggest problem is that the manifolds/risers are not likely OMC so there won't be an OMC part number. What you need to buy is exhaust hose but of course you need to measure the current diameter. The one good one you have may have numbers on it so you should look at that one.

Take some more pictures in there and make them big enough so we can see what is after the riser.

Bondo

Staff member

Do you have through hull exhaust or does the exhaust hose connect to a Y Pipe and then to the drive?

You biggest problem is that the manifolds/risers are not likely OMC so there won't be an OMC part number. What you need to buy is exhaust hose but of course you need to measure the current diameter. The one good one you have may have numbers on it so you should look at that one.

Take some more pictures in there and make them big enough so we can see what is after the riser.

Ayuh,... Bruce, it's noted in posts 11, 'n 12 that it's a Stringer drive,...

No y-pipe,...
It snakes down, 'round into the mid-section, 'n out,...

With center riser manifolds, it's gonna be a Full Custom build from the get go,....

Nothin' is Stock, part numbers are meanin'less,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Hi Bondo, I agree it isn't stock. Sure looks like it exits through hull though.

Bondo

Staff member

Hi Bondo, I agree it isn't stock. Sure looks like it exits through hull though.

Ayuh,.... Could very well be,... it took 11 post to find out it's a stringer drive,...

Unknown Info rarely leads to Good advise,....

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Oh no so this custom job you all talk about is a problem? Suppose now the only way to go is keep it custom huh? I will post better photos tomorrow for sure. Sorry for all the confusion and do really apprieciate all of your help on this one.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

puppies... BBQ ribs man.... it's 40 year old discontinued stuff.... ANY way you go will be custom but this isn't 'rocket surgery'

Get ur mind off it till you can dig in... Once we all see it we'll get you through..... "custom" may be nothing more than some hose n some clamps

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

puppies... BBQ ribs man.... it's 40 year old discontinued stuff.... ANY way you go will be custom but this isn't 'rocket surgery'

Get ur mind off it till you can dig in... Once we all see it we'll get you through..... "custom" may be nothing more than some hose n some clamps

Thanks again!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Alright everyone so what I day I had, went and picked up my dually out of the shop all fixed, rear end blew out in it and they covered it on warranty all the while they decided to replace all 4 of my rear tires brand new as well. Wow!!

Now for the bad, I went to pickup the boat at 10:30am arrived on site. Turns out one of the tires was in rough shape and low on air. Knowing that I put in some fix a flat and got some air back in it the quick but not effective way and planned to once I got it out of the boat yard to stop at a tire shop around corner and get it replaced. I brought a spare as well so that was a option too. Well a 25' boat and a F350 Dually does not fit well in small quarters so that shop to replace my tire was out of the question. Knowing I was only 20 miles away I decided to hit the free way and take it slow. About 8 miles out that very same tire blew out, go figure right and was one of those I told you so moments.

Stuck on the side of freeway a tow truck shows up and offered to help only to find out that my rim on trailer was a 6 lug and my spare was 5 lug, that part I shot from hip and did not know but the tire was like new. So the object was remove old busted tire and swap my spare tire on the correct rim. He drove off said he couldn't help but offered advice to leave boat on side of free way and take my spare to swap out on my own. Okay that is fine but now that my tire is falling off on the rear axle the front axle was preventing my rim from touching the ground so breaking lug nuts off was not going to happen due to rim spinning.

Screw being stuck on side of freeway so I was near a exit I drove the boat about 2 miles longer into a parking lot of a mall. Sears auto center in there YEAA!!!!, yea then to find out they said basically go screw yourself we are not working on a trailer. WOW really not going to help someone out. Okay I was going to even buy a brand new tire from them so there loss. I tracked down a mobile service guy who eventually even with my help and tools I brought along we lowered air in front tire to allow rim to rest on ground and remove lugs. At that time both tires had to be removed so one could be replaced and other pump air back in. In any case 6 hours later and it is now 5:30pm I was back on the road for only a 10 mile trip left. I got boat home. Below is a few photos of what we previously talked about.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

photo(31).JPG

Above is the starboard side riser not connected.

photo(29).JPG

Above is the port side all intact

photo(24).jpgphoto(25).jpgphoto(26).JPG

Above are the parts that I still have for the starboard side to almost put back together but you can see hoses are shot and the metal elbows are in rough shape. The larger piece that is not elbow but has that larger lip on it has a hair line crack so I don't know if it can be welded or better to find replacement or fabricate.

What do you guys all think?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Soooo you need a couple of new elbows (yes replace em both) and some hose
All can be found aftermarket.
No problem

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I found quite a few on eBay too
Might even find the same ones you already have.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

I found quite a few on eBay too
Might even find the same ones you already have.

Thanks so yes what I think I have found out is I need a 4" diameter outer hose from riser to first elbow. That first elbow reduces from the 4" to 3" then into another elbow that goes from 3" to I believe 2.5" and then connects to bell housing to go out. I found the elbow pieces as fiberglass ones which are much better from site you showed me so that awesome. I'm going to try to source hoses locally if not from Napa auto also have a select few of boat yards around.

Thanks will keep you posted going to order elbows to tonight.