1972 Sea Ray

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1972 Sea Ray

.....So your local? I'm located in Seal Beach as you mention going to Catalina wasn't sure if that was back in the day or you still live in the SoCal area. ......

Used to be. Left there in 1987. Was born and raised in Tarzana CA (SF Valley boy) Got out when cigarettes were a dollar a pack and before they started putting concertina wire on the San Berdu fwy overhead signs. Here is a pic you'd appreciate. It was taken in Malibu Bay, having launched out of Marina Del Rey.

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Your photo is truly awesome but I'm not a California native anyhow!!!! Western NY between Buffalo and Rochester NY where it's cold most of the year but yet beautiful in its weirdest ways!!!

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Brought back the thread for the sake of letting you all know that the brand new DB chinese starter went out on my boat two days ago. Well I still had that Delco Remy so I found a very reasonable electrical store near by, known as Wayne Electric and he rebuilt that starter with all brand new marine grade inner parts. Yes he specializes in RV, Marine, Auto and he had been doing this for 45 years. Wow what a difference I have not installed the starter yet but when I went and picked it up today for $85 rebuild it was like a brand new starter. I will post pic here shortly. So you can see the difference but obviously looks don't matter it's what he did to inside.

He also told me that OEM starter was not marine grade so he converted it!!!! Hopefully this week I will get time to put it on and splash boat more then likely on the 4th.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Shame on the DB starter. I bought mine a few years ago and it was double the price you paid. In that day chevy starters were cheap but my SBF starter was a lot more. Maybe mine is not Chinese?

Local rebuilders usually use the very best components. That is why they are much better than any auto parts store rebuild that you might get.

Last edited:

Celtichawk

Chief Petty Officer

Yea well it was working just fine that DB starter, but then all of a sudden it would only spin and not spin out to engage fly wheel. I don't think it is totally shot but something is up with it. Either way $59 for what I paid for it or close to that I wasn't all that upset that it went.

I'm happy to hear my OEM is Marine grade now and ready for the engine! Thanks for all your help all of you on this subject.