196X Starcraft Holiday-1975 OMC Johnson V4 115 Restoration

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
Well hello and happy spring to all you tinboaters. Project is still at where I left off and haven't been able to complete much during the winter. Also, with the new board changes, do I resurrect this thread or start a new one?

jbcurt00

Staff member
here will be good

It won't make the software hangups any different starting a new Topic. And if you keep this one going, if the pix don't reappear, you'll be more apt to repost them.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
here will be good

It won't make the software hangups any different starting a new Topic. And if you keep this one going, if the pix don't reappear, you'll be more apt to repost them.

jb,

Wasnt sure what the new protocol is was. Good to see you chime in.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
Updates:

With the super wet spring around here things got a bit backed up. Finally got the prioritiy projects taken care of so now I have time to work on the Holiday.
Took some time reading the infamous "chine cracking" threads. After some thinking I decided to address the potential problem and picked up a couple sheets of 5052 and will do the "Grandad"method:

Although I didn't see any cracks within the chine area I think reinforcing this area will alleviate the concern. Should make the 18 footer a bit beefier.
More later...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back Minn, looks like your pic didn't post up. I got my Chief splashed last month and have some hull stiffener pics in around page 30 on my thread.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
Updates:

Well, things are slow going for me here. Worked on the trailer a bit. Needed to solve the issue of no 24/7 garage storage for the boat. Had to roll it out of the garage everytime I stopped workng on it so went and got one of these:

Fulton.jpg
Coupler on the tongue was welded on but was cracked along the welds. Figured it was time to replace it so I hacked off the old tongue and bolted on the swing tongue with new steel, coupler and chains. Boat stores nicely in the garage now.

Been working on the "Chine Mods". Cut blanks from some 5052 and bent them up.

I was gonna do it Grandad style with one long L shape piece but the guys who bent up my panels didnt get the bend right. I decided to cut them and rebend. Going with every other rib for the vertical brackets with 4 on each side.

Getting an error uploading additional pics. Once I get that figgered out I will post them.

Attachments

• Fulton.jpg
    Fulton.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 0

pckeen

Commander
Nice to see you back. Open a photobucket account - much easier for photo uploading. There are instructions all over the place on iboats on how to use photobucket to upload pics.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
Nice to see you back. Open a photobucket account - much easier for photo uploading. There are instructions all over the place on iboats on how to use photobucket to upload pics.

Ya, I have an account. Didn't use it much. Ok, here goes;
New tongue. Still gotta get it painted but it's on.

My setup for the brackets. Look familiar? :D

Brackets bent up.

The L panels cut. The brackets go on every other rib:

Not the best way to do it but it will be fine.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work on the AL fabrication and I see someone has been playing with their clecos. :D

Those swing tongues sure look handy when it comes time to shut the garage door. :thumb:

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
I was gonna do it Grandad style with one long L shape piece but the guys who bent up my panels didnt get the bend right. I decided to cut them and rebend. Going with every other rib for the vertical brackets with 4 on each side.

Hi Minn. The guys who bent mine messed up too. Despite giving them a drawing showing an 83 degree bend, they made it 90 degrees. I was able to manually take some of the bend out to get the correct angle. I think it's best to keep them as long as possible. I intended them to bridge between all the ribs (unibody construction) rather than get strength from the vertical attachment. - Grandad

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
Happy 2015 All,
Just got a call from my winter boat storage guy, Pole Barn Keith. He says I can come get the boat anytime. Yay!!! Now I can get an early start on it. Gonna bang some test rivets to get the feel back and will be ready for the new brackets.