196X Starcraft Holiday-1975 OMC Johnson V4 115 Restoration

MinnStarcraft

Seaman
Re: 196X Starcraft Holiday-1975 OMC Johnson V4 115 Restoration

Wow $20! I paid more than that just for a couple pipe nipples to build mine. I'm planning on using neoprene isolators on the ribs under the tank. I would see about having some angle welded to the tank so it can be mounted to the stringers.

Yeah, I was surfing craigslist for SC boats and just stumbled upon it. Guy even delivered it to within 3 blocks of my house. Can't beat that. Angle on the stringer seems to be the no hassle approach.

Smokin deal!

I'd prolly use flat stock alum across the top, and at both ends riveted into the stringers. I'd also wedge it in with some foam

Awesome score!

Thanks Jas. I will be looking for lots of input from you for sure (I hope).

Wow that is one heck of a bottom feeder deal on that tank! Is it a 30 gallon?

I would go with some type of rubber to bed the tank on.

Yeah Watermann, its actually a 32 gal Capacity tank. Not sure on the rubber. I do know that rubber compounds do affect aluminum but to what degree, I don't know.
Tank sticker...
004 (2).jpg

Best not to use rubber, it's reactive w/ aluminum, or foam (it can trap water against the tank)

I'd prep the tank, spray a light coat of SE/ZC primer, and paint it before you install it below deck. Then follow the recommended steps here for installing an aluminum tank.

The prep, primer & paint is to protect the aluminum from any water it does come in contact w/, and would be just 1 more way to minimize the chance for water &/or corrosion damage...

Yup, I read that tank install info awhile ago and was thinking about doing that. I was trying to think if there was any synthetic rubber that could be used as per Watermann's suggestion to bed the tank. After staring at the problem, I think the best bet so far is to bed the tank on some epoxied marine ply strips on each rib. I can't think of an easier way so I will go that route. I will get some 1\4 inch Marine plastic for the strips to mount on the tank. Painting the tank, huh? I guess I should do that since it's already out and all. No sense in tryng to cut corners and I DON'T want to take the tank back out again if there is a leak if I can help it.

Ok, I am working on filling the corrosion holes on the transom skin with JB Weld. I am only hitting the big divits. While I am at it, was thinking about 1 big patch to cover these kicker motor mount holes. There are 8 of them.
041.jpg

I thought about welding but the issue of warping comes to mind. If I patch, I have one of these to go over it.
Not sure if it will work as it it pretty tall for that transom:

Garelick Adapter Plate.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Painting the tank, huh? I guess I should do that since it's already out and all. No sense in tryng to cut corners and I DON'T want to take the tank back out again if there is a leak if I can help it.

If I was using a below deck aluminum tank that I bought used, I'd seriously consider using POR-15 on the tank's interior too. Cheap insurance against future problem UNDER the deck. At $20 for the tank, you'll still be way ahead after painting it & using the POR-15, ESP for a 32gal tank.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

If I was using a below deck aluminum tank that I bought used, I'd seriously consider using POR-15 on the tank's interior too. Cheap insurance against future problem UNDER the deck. At $20 for the tank, you'll still be way ahead after painting it & using the POR-15, ESP for a 32gal tank.

jbcurt,
I am looking into getting the tank cleaned, inspected and pressure checked for leaks but haven't found anyone yet that can do it. I probably will call some marinas and see if they know somebody. I have used POR-15 on a utility trailor but haven't used their tank liner products. I am leery about those because once it starts to flake.. I am not opposed to trashing the tank and getting another if it doesnt check out. It is really clean inside (by inspection mirror through the sender hole. I have one of these but haven't used it yet...

Flir Borescope.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, sounds like you more then have it covered ^^^. Much more then most that get $20 CL tanks.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Try a radiator repair shop. Most'll do the pressure testing. I had mine tested and cleaned although I'm gonna clean it again myself for piece of mind.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

Well, sounds like you more then have it covered ^^^. Much more then most that get $20 CL tanks.
Yeah, but even then, it doesn't guarantee anything..

Try a radiator repair shop. Most'll do the pressure testing. I had mine tested and cleaned although I'm gonna clean it again myself for piece of mind.

Thanksk Further, I will try that.

Gas Tank 001.jpg Gas Tank 002.jpg

Reason being, is that in looking at the water mark on the bottom of the tank it looks like this tank was originally installed with the fittings toward the bow. So, that got me thinking that the tank was built to be installed this way. The fuel pickups in the tank run aft if installed this way. If I flipped it and installed the tank in the stern the tank fuel pickups would run forward instead of aft and possibly be starved of fuel? Does tank orientation make a difference?

If I installed the tank with the fittings toward the bow:
- easier access to the fittings. The hoses would be behind the foot rest and protected.
- gas fill on left side on the deck
- very low probability the tank would see any water in the bildge in this area.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If the fittings are toward the bow, you might not be able to really pull much fuel out because the stern is usually much lower than the bow. Look in the sender hole and see how the pickup is oriented. If it goes straight to the bottom, it would be best to flip the tank around.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Not sure if it would work for you since I know you want the tank towards the bow for weight forward. But I would think the tank was designed so the filler and line ends were under the splashwell. I wouldn't be too concerned about the rubber and aluminum having a problem together, I think rubber tires on aluminum wheels have been together for a number of years.

pckeen

Commander

Looks like you are moving along nicely with this. Looking forward to following along.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

If the fittings are toward the bow, you might not be able to really pull much fuel out because the stern is usually much lower than the bow. Look in the sender hole and see how the pickup is oriented. If it goes straight to the bottom, it would be best to flip the tank around.
GA,
That is what got me thinking.... The fuel pickups in the tank go straight down and then turn 90 degrees and go towards the middle of the tank to what I can see is the first bulkhead\baffle in the tank. Also, with the water mark on the tank you would think that the tank was isntalled with the fittings toward the bow. I will take another look and see if I can get a look past that first baffle with the scope..

Not sure if it would work for you since I know you want the tank towards the bow for weight forward. But I would think the tank was designed so the filler and line ends were under the splashwell. I wouldn't be too concerned about the rubber and aluminum having a problem together, I think rubber tires on aluminum wheels have been together for a number of years.
Watermann,
I am not so sure. If that is the case, then my problem is solved and I have no problem installing that way. I also have a call to the tank manufacturer to see if they can answer this question (like I am expecting a answer from them :rolleyes:).
_________________________________________________________________________________

So on to other things today. Did the first leak test today. I only could fill up to the first hole that needed to be plugged in the transom from the old speedo holes. The duck wanted to go for a swim but it had a leak.. :faint2:
Leak Test 001.jpg

Leak Test 003.jpg
The good news is there are no leaks at the keel just past the stringers.

Once I pulled the boat out the water went to the bow and this is what I have so far for leakers:
Leak Test 006.jpgLeak Test 009.jpg
I think a good coat of 5200 on the inside followed up by Gluvit will stop this problem.

GA_Boater

Water - Is that the original tank?

BTW - You can't do a proper leak test with a leaky rubber duckie. Just wanted you to know. :lol:

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

Water - Is that the original tank?

BTW - You can't do a proper leak test with a leaky rubber duckie. Just wanted you to know. :lol:

Yeah, the problems keep coming... Now I will have to leak test the duck, clean the repair area, fab up a patch, punch in some closed end rivets coated with 5200 and she will be godo to go to get on the water!!

GA_Boater

Yeah, the problems keep coming... Now I will have to leak test the duck, clean the repair area, fab up a patch, punch in some closed end rivets coated with 5200 and she will be godo to go to get on the water!!

Too much work. Fill the duck with Great Stuff. If the duck's behind blows off, you used too much. :eek:

Back to the tank, where did it fit originally?

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

Too much work. Fill the duck with Great Stuff. If the duck's behind blows off, you used too much. :eek:

Back to the tank, where did it fit originally?

The tank wasn't original to the boat. I got it off CL. I think it came out of an SS.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

Update:
Ok, I got a response back from the tank manufacture. I sent them some pics of the interior and how the fuel pickups run down the tank. The pickups run down the "V" portion of the tank away from the fuel fill and continue past the second bulkhead which is approximately in the middle of the tank. So, it looks like I can use this tank flipped around with the fuel fill in the bow instead of the stern. This way, fuel will always be available due to the angle of the tank in the boat.The manufacturer agrees so it looks like its a go for that configuration.

GA_Boater

That's good to know. That's why I asked about the pickup. And the mfg. verified it for you. Makes the hosing much easier with the fill under the bow.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

Ok, I am got as much as I could done on the Holiday and it is officially put to bed for the winter. Not much fun working on it when the days are getting shorter and colder here.

I am still trying to figure out paint options. I don't have the space to tie up for strip\paint (Admiral's garage) so I need to figure something out. Especially after getting this:

Labor Total: $3,800.00
Paint/Material: $1,330.00
Hazardous Disposal: $5.00
Tax: $95.12

Total: $5,230.12

Um, yeah. Thanks, but I don't think so. This was the first one I got so I am still going to check around to find someone that can do it for a more resonable price.

So, in the meantime I am moving on to this:

004.jpg

Gotta start with a compression test first, then move on to other health checks.

GA_Boater

5200 bucks. Yikes. Search for Woodonglasses "paint a boat for $100".

The motor is a good winter project and won't take all the Admiral's parking spot.

MinnStarcraft

Seaman

I'm pretty sure you can have that boat gold plated for less than $5K:rolleyes:

Aluminum boats aren't supposed to be that pretty, paint it yourself or strip it and polish it.

You could give that boat a mirror finish while you aren't doing anything this winter:
Dirty jobs How to Polish Aluminum - Aluminum Polishing - YouTube

Man, that is way too much work. Unless you can clear coat it keep the aluminum from oxidizing and I am not sure that you can. Would be cool though.
Not much work going on with the boat anyway. Still trying to decide color schemes. Can't decide if I want to go with some sort of original color or more modern.