1966 starcraft

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1966 starcraft

I replaced the water pump and now only have forward. So today I droped the lower leg and put the lower leg in reverse and the controls in same. went right in. only problem is that the controls are locked in reverse now. So I drop it again this time I put it in neutral. locked again. Droped a third time forward and forward. Now the controls move but will not shift gears in the lower leg.

So I droped it about 20 more times. Last time I had both in reverse it locked them up. Lost my head and forced it to go into neutral. Bad move. It caused the shift rod to pop up and hit the lower carb. Droped it agian and the rod goes back down and works untill I put the lower back in anything but forward. I need help.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

BlackSmith 04 (sorry) just noticed when I tried to shorten the call title dident look right. lol Have you been able to shift the lower unit between gears smoothly with the lower unit droped??? Hope you did not damage the Carb. If the bottom unit shifts between gears and center is in nutral I would still suspect the linkage adjustment. Have you removed the cable and tried shifting it by hand?? May seem like silly questions but let me know what you did or did not do . Will try to help.I know the 9.9 kicker Merc. I had would not shift unti I readjusted the linkage. I have a 9.9 4 stroke el start Merc. kicker now and mean to try to set it up with a helm control. I has a tiller handle and may give me fits also. Pugetsound

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The PO had the shift shaft on the LU 180 out. Also the handle on the control was put on wrong. So that when the handle was in reverse inside the controls were in neutral. I found a link last night that helped alot. I hope it will at least. It said going in or out of reversewithout the motor running is a big NO NO. so I must of had it right 10-15 times and didn't know it. The shop manual that was also linked said to shift the controls full forward. Then shift the LU into forward and to put slight back pressure on the prop to help the shift shaft from poping out of forward into the 270deg arch.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like you may be on the right track now. Keep us posted. If there is any chance of breaking something, a quick trip to a repair shop for a ( what do you think is wrong?) Might be in order. Breaking anything in the drive train could be very costly. Get someones opinion then say Ill have to think on that then go home and fix it. I do that a lot if I have a real problem. However the boat shop is only 10 blocks away. What you are doing might just fix the problem. Good luck

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I got it. Adjusted the controls and put it in neutral. Put the lower leg in same and put it back in. It works.Had the help of my little girl and thats what made the difference.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

OUTSTANDING now you learned something you and a lot of learners will never forget. Love it when a plan goes well.------Pugetsound

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OUTSTANDING now you learned something you and a lot of learners will never forget. Love it when a plan goes well.------Pugetsound

Yep! It's called next time buy a new boat. LOL. So now its finish painting, rewire the control box and put new seats in it.

dozerII

Admiral

Great progress Black Smith, and it is always nice to be able to include the young ones.
Glen

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yur helper looks like she is having fun!

What is that Jeep lookin deal in the background?

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's a 86 CJ-7 wide trac that I have brought back from the grave. I have it almost ready for paint. The PO wrecked it and broke his neck. Then it sat for three years without the top on,broken leaf pack ect. I cut out the floors and rockers and replaced them with 16ga stainless all lovingly but welded. 4inch procomp lift, mc2100 carb, new ignition putting out 45k volts. The list goes on and on. It will be the tow rig for the boat.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I knew there would be a story to it.

I had a 76 CJ when I lived in the mountains of Colorado. It only left me stranded in the wilderness a few times. I was single then and liked long and interesting walks so it was all good.

Cool man!

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It's the replacement for the 69 Bronco of mine that had to get sold a few years back. It hurt as It was my fathers last project and I spent 5 years trying to finish it. All It needed was paint and a lift kit, But family first. Always!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'd love a CJ that someone already completely redid :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I'd love a CJ that someone already completely redid :D

You got that right! You can see em quite often, like...

"I spent $20K on this frame off complete restoration and I am now asking $8K and it's got to go".

Something like that is just the ticket.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought it for $1k, lift springs $150, bushings $100, Tires $500, Wheels $100, carb and ignition upgrades about $200, Body work $10. Paint will run me about $200-250. Oh, It's not 4X4 it's a $X$. BTW the motor had just been redone right before the PO wrecked it. All new pistons and everything.

So my new seats for the boat should be here on the 23. I can't wait.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Welcome Blacksmith. My apologies for not posting before. It looks like we are neighbors, I used to live in Sutherland myself. Give a holler if I can help.