1966 starcraft

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1966 starcraft

Yeah that makes more sense. When I had a spun prop, it would overrev when I was accelerating but would push me along at WOT just fine.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

only had time today to pull the fuel pump off today. All the gaskets were mush. The diaphragm looked good But the gaskets just fell apart. Timeing looks good. It ran great the first time I started it but has gotten worse. The more it is ran the more the carbs leak. So I think a rebuild is in order. Do the diaphragms come with the fuel pump kits?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

BS Don" t ever take any advice from me on carburators if you do it will NEVER run again. I only have to look at a carb. and it is destroyed. LOL sounds like your ready, Almost, for the summer.Have a great one and be safe.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carbs are easy to work on. It's ajusting them thats a pain.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so I got the carbs off. Had to tear down the whole front of the motor just to get to them. I found why it's running rough. A casting fin in the back of the motor got nocked off and there is now a hole of about 3/8dia just under where the lower carb mounts. Is there a way to glue this back on? something like liquid steel?

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carbs rebuilt and the crankcase is fixed. Now to put it all back and try it out?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

My org. base for flat seats was 8 inches factory so thats what I built. I'm 6ft 1 and 200 3 and fit ok. under the wheel. Pugetsound

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Goit all put back and it starts on the first bump of the key. It sounds mean now that it's running on all 4 cylinders. can't wait to take it back out on the water. Also going to go look at a newer tow rig. 04 chevy Z71. Want to git rid of the dodge mini van.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a nice truck. My buddy recently bought a Chevy ext cab around that similar vintage and it's great. I was never a truck guy and actually used to tow my Jupiter with a Buick Regal. It was heck on the ramps though and I shopped for a truck. Ended up buying a rust-free 1990 Chevy K1500 from a little old man. Now I can't imagine not owning one. Tows the boat like it's not there (except on hills).

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Truck turned out to be a pos. Trim craked, paint had shody repair work, tires were dry rotten and it stunk inside like BO and smoke. Looked at other turck like objects on there lot. They (Chevy) don't make ext cab long bed 4X4's anymore. I want room for the wife and kids but need a truck to be a truck. No wounder they are are haveing money problems.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok took the boat out a few weeks ago and haven't had the time to post. The motor started on the first bump of the key. It was so quite that I had to strain to hear it running. With four of us in the boat two tanks of gas and a kicker motor it got up to 28MPH before the wife turned off the gps. We were still picking up speed. We also had all the kids stuff, wifes stuff and swiming gear. We ran from Cozy cove to the public ramps and back then crused around for a bit. About 5hrs on less then 6gals of gas. Next time the smaller motor will be left at home and will be replaced by a second 6gal tank. That and I don't want to go to chesdin again. we almost got fliped by a bigger boat flying past us within 15Ft. Lots of rude people there on the water.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Sure give second thoughts of removeing the kicker. You don't put your gas can where its mounted anyway. You never know what a blessing it is to have . And the time will come. Be carefull out there.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The kicker gets in the way of the cables sometimes and is another 55lbs on the back end. This is whats in the back of my boat. 240lb motor, 55lb motor, 6gal gas can(50:1), 3gal gas can(25:1) for the kicker and the battery. In the middle of the boat is the seats. Under the bow is where we store coats and flares ect. Just feel that my boat has to much junk in the trunk.