1966 starcraft

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1966 starcraft

Ok so I started pulling things off the top deck to make painting easier. Anything that was chrome and now pitted was primed and painted semi-gloss black. I got all the areas without paint primed. Got ride of a bunch of left over Bubba stuff. Now I have to fill the holes in the top deck. I dont know what to do with thwe old and falling apart starcraft emblems. Do I remove them and put new rivets in the holes or just paint over them? I think I might just remove them and try to get some starcraft decals. I was thinking about white all over with a hunter green band going from bow to stern. All the trim and rub rails black. How does that sound?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

A good sign shop can make up just about any thing you need for decals. There very expensive on Ebay and never what I really wanted , Souns like you are busy, good luck with the project.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok todays thoughts are about seats and seat hight. The seats that are in it now are junk. I sat in the drivers seat and damn it was high. The wheel was rubing the top of my legs and it felt like I was sitting about as high as the gunwales. Is this right for the seats to be so high?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I put back to back seats in my jupiter that had 10" bases. They were a little high. I sat over the windshield which felt kinda silly. On my SS, I went with really short pedestals. I think they are 8". That plus the little bit higher freeboard made for a perfect setup.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The seats that are in it now are on 14inch bases plus the 5 inches for the seat. I'm going to cut them down to 7-8 in. For the back seats I'm going to remove the sliding doors on the splashwell and build two seat bases to mount on eather side of the boat. Then make a flip up door for the tank bilge area. The space between the seats will be for the cooler and to keep the kids apart some what. That leaves a good sized area for moving around and fishing in the middle of the boat.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went looking for batterys today while I was in town. All I can say is I'm lost. I saw starting, deep cycle and starting/deep cycle. I know that I only want to run one battery. I need it for starting, small bilge pump, nav lights and horn. Don't think I'll be out at night so nav lights won't be on much if at all. So what one should I get guys and gals?

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Get a deep cycle Marine Battery. It is needed as the many times it is charged it will hold up. IF you use 1 battery get yourself one of those emergency starter batterys . There only 50 bucks or so but you sure as H--- dont want to be caught without a spare and in the middle of nowhere. I had to drive my Suburban for 30 miles ,2 summers ago with a starter battery laid on the engine and the hood wired down comeing up the Lewiston Grade in Idaho, when the alternator went out . It was cold ., dark and no help anywhere. same as you might be out in a boat and lose power. Some of these big motors are next to impossible to pull start and if the charging unit goes , then the battery goes and you are stuck. Just some friendly advise. Pugetsound

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the stuff to pullstart. I have tried to and it's a no go. Theres no way to turn it over fast enough. Also almost pulled my arm out trying. lol.

Huron Angler

Admiral

There is a "dual-purpose" marine/RV battery that might be good for what you need. I always feel better having two batteries on board.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a "dual-purpose" marine/RV battery that might be good for what you need. I always feel better having two batteries on board.
Just going on a small lake. I too would like a two battery system but just don't want to drop the cash right now. I still have to get seats, life jackets and tires. Just saw a battery that said starting/deep cycle and just thought if I could kill two birds with one stone. I just don't know if thats a good way to go.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I gotta disagree with the above. For your usage, a marine starting battery would be best. A deep cycle would be a poor choice as they don't have the cranking power of a starting battery nor do they particularly like to be constantly slightly discharged and recharged.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

What do you mean by combo???A normal car battery will not withstand being drawn down and recharged as a Marine deep cell will or a RV battery will also work as they are constantly drained and recharged. You know what I mean by a booster? The kind to start a car with and most have a built in light and a compressor for air. I have 4, one in each car and take the one Im not using out in the boat. Worth there weight in gold.

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On the left they had marine starting then they had a combo marine starting/deep then they deep cycle.

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Well the altenator on your engine will keep a battery charged. Like most MARINE products I take with a grain of salt the big difference they claim you need a Marine product compared to a standard product. Electronocs yes you prob. do as they are supos. to insulate them better. I used auto Engine parts on everything on my two large boats and never had a problem. However thy were not left in the water and kept dry except for use. These were my choices and I do not intend this to conflict with what you hear or read. You know when it says Marine aproved the price goes to the moon . That ought to wake up a few opinionsr. .Pugetsound

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

I like and have had good results with the combo ones.
On a small boat I would think you would be fine with one.
GLG

blacksmith04

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well the altenator on your engine will keep a battery charged. Like most MARINE products I take with a grain of salt the big difference they claim you need a Marine product compared to a standard product. Electronocs yes you prob. do as they are supos. to insulate them better. I used auto Engine parts on everything on my two large boats and never had a problem. However thy were not left in the water and kept dry except for use. These were my choices and I do not intend this to conflict with what you hear or read. You know when it says Marine aproved the price goes to the moon . That ought to wake up a few opinionsr. .Pugetsound

Oh I understand about the price going up. A new starter solenoid for the merc was almost $80. Local parts store a solenoid off any jeep or ford $10. Worked like a charm.