Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Pettit Easypoxy

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1964 15' Starcraft Aluminum Runabout Project

Yah, there is a bit of a trick and if you horse it off you'll break it.

Check my thread, post #130 - #132 range. There is a little lip on there that you need to pry away very gentle like. You'll see that I ended up with a little chip on mine, rats!

I saw that lip and wondered if that's where the trick was. Have to be real careful, not much give at all to that metal. Does the lip go all the way across, side to side?

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, I got the little chip on mine when the plate was nearly all the way out. I had thought it was nearly free than just gave it a yank, and, crack! It really didn't take all that much pressure so be careful! Cheers!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Yah, I got the little chip on mine when the plate was nearly all the way out. I had thought it was nearly free than just gave it a yank, and, crack! It really didn't take all that much pressure so be careful! Cheers!

I guess Starcraft didn't mean for it to come off!

bananaboater

Ensign

Lakelover,

i'll let you tell me how you get yours off. Then I will try mine. Could not see any sign of a lip. Is it on the top or bottom? I remember others describing getting it off and they describe using screw drivers to wedge open the bow cap.

Albert

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lakelover,

Could not see any sign of a lip. Is it on the top or bottom? I remember others describing getting it off and they describe using screw drivers to wedge open the bow cap.

Albert

The lip is on top, like the cap has been slid on from the front and it snaps onto the top rub rail aluminum. It's not very big, maybe 3/32". I'm a little nervous now but will carefully try it.

w-bowcaplip-2571.jpg

bananaboater

Ensign

Wow, that is quite a lip to override. Good luck. Others have done it though.

fishingnella

Seaman Apprentice

Nice boat lakelover. A little late to reply but I just saw your post. I have a 1964 Jet 14' that I found in a barn last year and fixed up to fish with. This year I am doing more to it like a top andnew lighting. I can't beleive the difference between your 15' and my 14'. I have nosplash tray no tray at the dash, no wooden floor, narrow rails and more. I have some pics posted on photobucket if you care to see them. Ok time to get to working on the boat, good fishing and good day.
Fishingnella

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice boat lakelover. A little late to reply but I just saw your post. I have a 1964 Jet 14' that I found in a barn last year and fixed up to fish with. This year I am doing more to it like a top andnew lighting. I can't beleive the difference between your 15' and my 14'. I have nosplash tray no tray at the dash, no wooden floor, narrow rails and more. I have some pics posted on photobucket if you care to see them. Ok time to get to working on the boat, good fishing and good day.
Fishingnella

Never too late here, this is a long ongoing project. I hope to work some more on the weekend. I'll try to find a link to your photos in another post. What HP is your 14' rated for?

Edit: OK, found them. Looks like a nice little project there, keep adding photos to your album and give us updates as you go!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Stripping & sanding paint sure builds muscles...

Before:

98-pound-weakling.jpg

After:

popeye.jpg

Seriously, though, I got the splashwell out by drilling out many rivets where the drill barely fit, straightened a damaged section and started in with the stripper (Kleenstrip from HD). Bananboater was right, not much to removing it. That white must be the original paint, it's really on there and fights the stripper all the way. That's why I don't plan to remove all the paint to bare aluminum when I do the hull, most of it is pretty sound.

I definitely prefer the Kleenstrip to the "friendly" spray I was using. It was more friendly to the paint than I like too, and took too long. Give me the old fashioned brush-on snot-consistency type any day!

w-nakedtransom_2622.jpg

w-splashwell_2623.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

LOL, I don't know about the muscle thing, but here's my view's on restoration's ;)

before...
daffyduckdaffyduck.jpg

after...
brokeh.jpg

BTW, did you ever get the bow cap piece off?

lakelover

Rear Admiral

LOL, I don't know about the muscle thing, but here's my view's on restoration's ;)

AMEN to that!

I didn't attempt the bow cap yet, but that's coming soon, I'll post on that later.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

the boats restos coming along nice Lakelover....keep on rockin.....
good luck with the bowcap......YIKES is all I can say....
hey if it DOES chip or break...mebbe the PROP SHOP type guys can weld it and fix it back up (tig welders and such) they seem to be able to fix props good so why not eh! so NO WORRIES I guess....give it a shot (taking it off)
;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Caught in the rain today while changing the impeller on my 20, so I'm spending a little time working on the transom.

Maybe overkill, but I decided to give a little boost to the water-tightness of the holes drilled through by dripping some polyurethane into each hole. I figured that dripping it through with a straw would get enough in there to fully coat it. When I get to assembling everything, I'll also use 4200 or 5200 to seal everything that passes through.

wDSC_2624.jpg

Beyond that, more sanding and JB Weld repairing of the dents & holes in the splash pan. Takes that stuff forever to cure fully.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick note on paint stripper - Loctite makes a product called Chisel Paint and Gasket Stripper. It's phenomenal. just don't get it on your skin, and read the directions.

Just a quick google search netted this. http://www.rshughes.com/products/079340_79040.html

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Quick note on paint stripper - Loctite makes a product called Chisel Paint and Gasket Stripper. It's phenomenal. just don't get it on your skin, and read the directions.

Just a quick google search netted this. http://www.rshughes.com/products/079340_79040.html

Good old methylene chloride-that's the stuff.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

+1 on methylene chloride...... it does work!

Why are you removing the bow nose cap? I would just mask it off and leave it alone if it is that tight.

I actually had to make one for my Starcraft since it was one of the many thousand items it did not have.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Why are you removing the bow nose cap? I would just mask it off and leave it alone if it is that tight.
That's just what I decided, too much trouble to remove. Since I took the rivets out of the bottom of it, it will slide forward about 3/16", so I'll do that & mask it, paint, then put back in its original position. Gotta simplify!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

That's just what I decided, too much trouble to remove. Since I took the rivets out of the bottom of it, it will slide forward about 3/16', so I'll do that & mask it, paint, then put back in its original position. Gotta simplify!

Yes, I agree. When you are ready to re-rivet it I would squeeze a bit of sealant under it. If you have any luck like I have the cap will rattle if you don't.

It sure would be nice if the weather decided to cooperate with us...... I am tired of this rain .........

bananaboater

Ensign

That's just what I decided, too much trouble to remove. Since I took the rivets out of the bottom of it, it will slide forward about 3/16", so I'll do that & mask it, paint, then put back in its original position. Gotta simplify!

That should work well, and after it will look great. Good idea.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Woo Hoo! Score!

Today I bought a 1987 galvanized tilt trailer for $250. It was listed on craigslist for $295, and I went to look at it at lunch time. Looks to be in pretty good shape, lights work, needs one tire, very little rust (mostly on axle) and lots of accommodation for adjustments. Has 10" wheels, winch works well; and something I've never seen, bunks with rollers on them. Overall it looks lightly used. Spun the wheels and they turned freely, no grinding or anything. Will be no problem fitting it to my boat, it had a 17 footer on it before.

I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I think it's worth a second woo-hoo!

new061710trailer.jpg