Difficult to empty carbs?

FREDDYPD

Seaman
I have a 1994 Mercury 175hp o/b. Is it difficult to empty the carbs after I winterize the motor? I took it to a mechanic this year for a spring tune up and he rebuilt 2 of the carbs. He asked me if I drained the carbs in the winter and I told him the carbs were completely fogged but were not drained. I don't want the same problem again. I am pretty handy. Is this a difficult job to tackle?
Do you guys think that this is necessary?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Difficult to empty carbs?

We have always ran carb dry or drained them, on your V/6 at the bottom of the float bowls on either side there are brass 7/16" plugs remove them to drain the bowls and jets.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Normally we put fuel stabilizer in the tank and run the motor to get it into the carb bowls. We leave it in the bowls, during the off-season.

If you want to empty the bowls, use a 7/16" socket and remove one of the brass plugs on the side of each carb, under the bowl. These plugs cover the main jet, and the fuel will simply run out.

FREDDYPD

Seaman

OK. Thanks for the replies. When I get a chance I will take a look at the motor and see if I can access all the carbs. Is blowing out the lines and carbs with air overkill?

Laddies

Banned

No need to blow the lines just run the fuel out of the system and drain the carbs

j_martin

Admiral

OK. Thanks for the replies. When I get a chance I will take a look at the motor and see if I can access all the carbs. Is blowing out the lines and carbs with air overkill?

If you drain the carbs, the floats are hanging on the stops, and the needle valves are open. First flush of fuel in the spring rinses everything off and the floats float and the needles seat. Good to go.

hope it helps
John

FREDDYPD

Seaman

John,

A little confusing. You are saying drain the carbs right?

Thanks.

FREDDYPD

Seaman

Guys, thanks for your advice. I winterized yesterday and all went well. One more question. Not sure if this thread will be dead. If I plan on changing the impeller in the spring should I hold off on changing the lower gear oil lube?

Thanks

Laddies

Banned

You can change it in the spring but you must check it for water this fall