1963 Lone Star Medallion all 16' of fun

Tnstratofam

Commander
Great score a good looking motor with tnt. Flip the donor boat and trailer for $500.00 and fix the warm star problem for little to nothing and it becomes a super score! The 75 rude should move you through the water quite nicely.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys. The guy was an engineer and he told me he like to run rich on the oil. Only bad thing is there is some flex on the transom going to check that out.
My buddy wants the boat but won't get him into a money pit. he has zero skills for this he just fishes.

Got to use one of my new tools. Man you can burn thru some staples with this thing...

Used it on these - floor ready to go in:

Going to surface screw the panels in with some 5200 behind each screw/beauty ring.

Tonight taking off all the cleats and other hardware to get ready to send of for painting.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nice score and the Evinrude should be a good one for the LS

64osby

Admiral
Just saw this today and have to say...

I have Rib envy! :eek:

Nice Medallion Joe.

The '65 was rated at 90 hp, should be the same for yours and that 75 should be a great fit. Weight vs HP, and you have the TNT.

Nice to see you blasting through it, more envy on my behalf.

Have to get some work done on mine and rescue it off page 10 or 12.

Keep up the great work.:cool:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
hotel time out in SOCAL so reading up on measuring for new control cables. I've seen measure and add 1.5', 2', 3' and 4'.

which one is best?

64osby

Admiral
11 by the numbers but is there slack? A 12 might fit good if you have room for any slack.

I've seen other info that states to add 4' and create a big loop. Not the set up I would use.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
the two styles I've seen are an S curve or a loop in the splashwell at the motor. The donor boat as a loops of about 1' diameter.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
so tell me why i don't want to do this:

The new wiring harness is north of $200. Could I not just add wire to the current one? That would be $20 or so and probably have enough wire and for sure connectors sitting around...

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
My Merc harness suffered from the typical Merc old-age crumblies. I cut back to good wire/insulation and spliced just like your talking about, Joe. You could cut and splice in the middle so the extended section is hidden under the gunnel and the visible ends still look unmolested.

Merc harnesses start at 20 feet and go up. So the problem is always hiding the extra length. No idea what J-E does.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Yeah its 20' as well, I figured I'd cut back to the 15' or so length I need on the shift cables or there is plenty of room behind the mounting area.

More work, save money. Hmmm....

BTW - while I was in SOCAL this week I sent the admiral to check paint and she wound a 'Seaside' color. I'd say, accounting for sun fade, we got about a 95% match, I did a spot test.inbetweens the beer and the rattle can.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
yep.

Please do not take any tin head points from me (this will not be in ya'll class of craftsmanship just functional) and remember on the very first post I called it a 'refresh' not a rebuild.

I've pressure washed it twice, hand washed and 220 grit with oscillating sander yesterday over the good paint and feathered where it has come off. I've got 5 cans of aluminum primer (used two so far) on any bare metal. I'm hitting the red areas of the hull with primer from where I can while on the trailer; not worried too much about below the waterline where most of the red had come off anyway. The blue will be only in parts - back at 95% factory design.

here's another shot of the blue. The very upper left is the original

got the sliding hatch off; have three of the four plastic parts left and was able to weasel out one to get the lid off. Pretty impressive still there after 53 years. I wonder what I'll do when they finally do break....

taping off for the close in work; had to come in and get my glasses. Getting old.

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have very limited rattle skills and always make a huge mess with the stuff so I guess I assume others do to. :lol:.

Yeah painting the bottom of a boat is like painting the bottom of a car. Nobody will see it unless you run them over. :heh:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
yep.

Please do not take any tin head points from me (this will not be in ya'll class of craftsmanship just functional) and remember on the very first post I called it a 'refresh' not a rebuild.

don't sell yourself short there RNJ!

the deck pieces look great & nice score on a beautiful motor...perfect fit for that boat!
20150620_113038_resized_zps576a9efe.jpg

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
thanks guys. On the scale of pretty it will be a 10 from 20' away, about a 4 close up. On the technical scale I'm usually in about the 8 range. It will work. I've always said there is a correct way to do things wrong. Study on that for a minute.

only met one person on here so here is me and my dork glasses. I've got 'pretty' ones to use in public aka when i'm on site and my people see me, but I got these specifically for doing close in boat work.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I have very limited rattle skills and always make a huge mess with the stuff so I guess I assume others do to. :lol:.

Yeah painting the bottom of a boat is like painting the bottom of a car. Nobody will see it unless you run them over. :heh:

note the 'handle' on the can. Home Depot like $8 best money i've spent in a long time.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
thanks guys. On the scale of pretty it will be a 10 form 20' away, about a 4 close up. On the technical scale I'm usually in about the 8 range. It will work. I've always said there is a correct way to do things wrong. Study on that for a minute.

only met one person on here so here is me and my dork glasses. I've got 'pretty' ones to use in public aka when i'm on site and my people see me, but I got these specifically for doing close in boat work.

Lagunitas...yum!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
note the 'handle' on the can. Home Depot like $8 best money i've spent in a long time.

Better than walking around the rest of the day with the impression of the nozzle top in your forefinger fingerprint and blue paint on your fingertip for the rest of the week. :eek:

My biggest prob with spray-bomb Rusto is it seems to be extremely thin so it needs more coats to cover and likes to run.