1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

Decker83

Commander
Re: 1961 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

I assume (witch I know that I shouldn't) that you will leave the PVC lose so if it does crack you can replace it. right?

That is a good looking seat base. IMHO the block of wood should keep the PVC from cracking.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now I had NOT thought of that but... HMMMMMMM no reason I could not do that. Wonder if it would " Wallow Out" the wood eventually?? I'm gunna have to think on that one a bit. the PVC is Schedule 80 when it's packed with Grease most of the weight will be on the stainless washers and there will we some on the shaft when a person is leaning back.... Darn it Decker now you got me thinkin and that's a dangerous thing:eek::redface:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Just getting caught up on your thread, those pyramids turned out awesome. Top notch work as always wood.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Now I had NOT thought of that but... HMMMMMMM no reason I could not do that. Wonder if it would " Wallow Out" the wood eventually?? I'm gunna have to think on that one a bit. the PVC is Schedule 80 when it's packed with Grease most of the weight will be on the stainless washers and there will we some on the shaft when a person is leaning back....

The wallow & the tension at the top lip when under load is where I was headed w/ the bronze/brass bushing Q earlier...... You could even use flanged bushings which would increase the surface area of contact to help reduce the wallow. But the bushings should probably be epoxied in...

Seat base.jpg
As the seat post leans back at the top of the pyramid, under load, it is also pushing forward at the bottom, & vice versa for leaning forward, & left & right... A flanged bushing at the top could also eliminate the pyramid side post washer, just a sacrificial plastic 1 & 1 for the seat end of the post. Boring a zero clearance hole for the PVC is also going to reduce the wallow, but if you eliminate gluing (epoxy ?) it in, so the PVC is replaceable, I think it's more likely to distress & wallow over time.

Using the flange bushing at the top & a non-flange bushing at the bottom, why not select a bushing inner diameter that 'fits' the +1/32 post, and get the PVC tube to just fit OVER the outer diameter of the bushing. W/ a closed bottom on the post's hole, the assembly then acts like an inboard prop shaft stuffing tube. The now over-sized PVC creates a cavity for lithium grease (just as it does in a stuffing tube for an inboard prop shaft), and the bushings carry the load top & bottom.

This of course creates an assembly that must be completed prior to pyramid installation & is not easily repairable from above if it is glued (epoxy) in to place to reduce the whole thing from wallowing.....

The M1 Garand is often used in match target competitions, and the barrels of match guns are often bedded into a fiberglass/epoxy bed to reduce/eliminate the slop & wear on the wood stock during cycling/firing and tear down & cleanup. The same could be done prior to installing the stuffing tube into the pyramid base. Not unlike over boring transom thru hull holes, filling them w/ epoxy & redrilling the mounting holes in 100% epoxy

Hmmm...... sorry about this ^^^ esp if it isn't helping..... I hope it does.....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Now see, I KNEW Decker was stirring up something. I'm thinking now of getting the seat mount out of a M1 Tank and mounting them in the boat. Then I won't have to worry about it EVER!!!!!!:p Seriously, I appreciate all the tips and thoughts going into this. At least someone out there is stopping by to see what this Old Okie is trying to do.

kfa4303

Banned

I used to shoot bench rest targets with my dad using his old '03 Springfield 30-06 with iron sites. Amazingly accurate, but dang it kicked like a mule! I love the seats. Pyramid power!

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, lurking & learnin':

WOG's.jpg

I'm just sayin':) somethin' somethin' mountain somethin' somethin' mohamma.......:facepalm:

Attachments

• WOG's.jpg
    WOG's.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

WOG, the pyramid bases are top-notch work and also make for a cool and an interesting read... You guys amaze me (JBC, you obviously have some smarts and/or specialized training...).....

That being said, please allow me to revert to the big white (excuse me, Blue) elephant that you floated yesterday... the idea of BF#2 has left us most intrigued. We are sitting out in the waiting room waiting for the doctor to tell us if you will be having twins...

Have a good one,
rpm

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOG, the pyramid bases are top-notch work and also make for a cool and an interesting read... You guys amaze me (JBC, you obviously have some smarts and/or specialized training...).....

That being said, please allow me to revert to the big white (excuse me, Blue) elephant that you floated yesterday... the idea of BF#2 has left us most intrigued. We are sitting out in the waiting room waiting for the doctor to tell us if you will be having twins...

Have a good one,
rpm

Thanks for the compliment on the pyramid bases. They were a challenge until I figured out the angles and then with my snazzy miter guage they were actually pretty easy to fabricate. As to BF2, the plan is to meet Bryan on Sunday afternoon at his Dad's house and inspect her. I'm gunna take a $100 bill with me and see if he bites. I'm really hopin the deck is rotten and with the lower unit being off and all, I'm gunna tell him he has a $100 trailer with a Free Boat on it. If he bites, she'll be comin home to sit in the back yard. Wife has Mandated that NO work will start on her until ALL the Honey Do's on her list are done AND the Siding on the House is re-done sooooooo...... BF1 may have to wait a bit to take a cruise along side her sister but at least they can see each other in the back yard.

JDA1975

Lieutenant

WoG, getting a sister craft would be so cool, you should paint that one pink and call it the pink flamingo for your wife!

jbcurt00

Staff member

We'll all wait anxiously to hear how it goes. I'd have the $100 handy when Bryan's dad is standing in the yard......

What's the fun in aging if you can't take advantage of the young? I am squarely 1/2 between the 2, but don't ask my wife, she'll lie & mention the backslide down the hill from 45:eek:

Hope it works out....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WoG, getting a sister craft would be so cool, you should paint that one pink and call it the pink flamingo for your wife!

My Granddaughter would have a Conniption Fit if I painted it pink. She thinks Everything should be pink!!!! And since Most Flamingos ARE pink, Hmmm I wonder how much of a "Girly Man" I would be if I was seen Captaining a Pink Flamingo????:redface:

We'll all wait anxiously to hear how it goes. I'd have the $100 handy when Bryan's dad is standing in the yard......

What's the fun in aging if you can't take advantage of the young? I am squarely 1/2 between the 2, but don't ask my wife, she'll lie & mention the backslide down the hill from 45:eek:

Hope it works out....

I'm just hopin the $100 bucks won't be takin advantage of me. I'm also wonderin since I'm not gettin any younger if I really want to take on another project, ESPECIALLY one that would involve some of that WONDERFUL GRINDING stuff!:mad: Maybe I could get my Son In Law suckered into doing that part for me. I'm gunna go look anyhow and see if the itch gets scratched!!!;)

jbcurt00

Staff member

My Granddaughter would have a Conniption Fit if I painted it pink. She thinks Everything should be pink!!!! And since Most Flamingos ARE pink, Hmmm I wonder how much of a "Girly Man" I would be if I was seen Captaining a Pink Flamingo????:redface:

Ya might ought to ask Andgott's wife.?!?!? Isn't his louvered project going to be pink? & oh yeah: bitchin-ly cool!!! I pity the man that makes fun of 'gramps' at the boat launch in front of his granddaughter....pink boat or not...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I guess if this guy did it, I could too...

26wheelsblo-span1.jpg

kfa4303

Banned

Sweet! All you need is a pink cadillac to go with it :) I'd take that thing out on the water any day, but it looks to pretty to get wet. I love how the merc is painted to match. It looks much less ominous than when it's in its usually Darth Vader black.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Your inbox is full ;)

rrumba

Ensign

not to discount your beatutiful wood working skills there WOG and the awesome job you continually do but would something like this work?

I found this last night, total mounted height to seat ply bottom is 5 1/2":

Garlick%20seat%20base.jpg
Rotating & sliding seat base... Probably only get 1 for the helm. Considering a fold out lounge/seat on the passenger side......

jbcurt00

Staff member

not to discount your beatutiful wood working skills there WOG and the awesome job you continually do but would something like this work?

I maybe should have mentioned that base (only) is $120+/-. But I do like it. I'd bet WOG's not going to be that deep in this pyramid even if he changes it to add or delete any of the stuff we brought up yesterday... Esp if he already had the seats & pedestal posts.

BTW rrumba: I'll be needing $0.75 for the license & royalty fee bringing my junk over here & dropping it in WOG's boatyard........... Just deposit it in my iBoats dry dock account, I'll be needing to stockpiling funds over there soon:D

rrumba

Ensign

well............ GO TRIANGLES GO......

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Inbox has been emptied.
Total cost for Pyramid bases so far is $1.49 for the 2 ft piece of PVC. Everything else I had left over from other projects, and the bases came with the Fishing seats I bought a last year to practice on my Upholstery skills. I like those bases but...Not the price. Like I've always said, I'm a Cheap old Bast@*#*@. Free is my best Price!!!!:D
I am always On the look out ofr a 1958 70hp Merc for the Blue flamingo. They made em in Black and Burgundy. I REALLY want one BAD!!! If any of you run into one and don't want it for yourselfe... CALL ME IMMEDIATELY. I do a search on All of Craigslist.com Every day looking for one and so far no luck.

397458364.jpg