1986 OMC Cobra 4.3 water pump ?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Whats with the pin hole in the waterpump housing? It looks factory. I had the drive cover off and replaced the impeller, started it up and it shot water out a pin hole in the housing. Is it there to bleed the pump or to tell that it's pumping?

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1986 OMC Cobra 4.3 water pump ?

The nipple that is supposed to be there has a hose that runs downward. I can't remember where it goes.

You need to get a new housing. They're available on eBay.

havasuboatman

Ensign

Naaah, that hole is there to allow the pump to prime quickly, that is all. The hose that danond mentioned just goes into the drives exhaust jacket. You won't hurt anything, or lose any performance running it just the way it is. The only noticable thing you will have, is seeing water coming out from under the plastic cover when you run the motor on the hose adapter.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Naaah, that hole is there to allow the pump to prime quickly, that is all. The hose that danond mentioned just goes into the drives exhaust jacket. You won't hurt anything, or lose any performance running it just the way it is. The only noticable thing you will have, is seeing water coming out from under the plastic cover when you run the motor on the hose adapter.
Ditto. And if u see a healthy stream from that vent, you know that the cooling system is operating properly. Leave it alone.

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not disagreeing with you guys that this will work, but you won't catch me suggesting that someone start a habit of leaving things busted because it's convenient or cheap.

More power to ya though!

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm not disagreeing with you guys that this will work, but you won't catch me suggesting that someone start a habit of leaving things busted because it's convenient or cheap.

More power to ya though!
Nobody is suggesting that he leave it busted. Not all Cobras have the hose that you referred to. The hole in that housing is nothing but a relief vent. If the hole is blocked, pressure will build & blow the water pump shaft seal. Result? Water in gear oil. The hose that you referred to operates on the same principal. And I'm not gonna tell the guy to buy a part that he doesn't need. I think I know what I'm talking about, as I have been running my Cobra since '91.