1960 Valco Re-Paint inside/possibly outside

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1960 Valco Re-Paint inside/possibly outside

Now I am reading not to use a wire brush on my boat? Done a bunch of spots now, did I damage anything? Reading lots of conflicting information...

Use stripper, but that can leave contam. that will mess up the gluvit...? Wire wheel can eat alum and spark corrosion?

Hellp me! How do I get the paint off the seams and rivets so the Gluvit can work?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well....... if you can find a stainless steel bristle wire brush ...they are better.

Just get it as clean as you can. The gluvit will adhere to just about everything.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob. Sorry for all the back and forth questions. I know they have been answered on the forums, and I have been searching non-stop. Just some contradicting facts/opinions :redface: First boat, just want to make sure I do it right and dont cause issues that were not there to begin with.

Thanks again! Love this place.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Been sanding ALL day trying to get the paint off of these rivets! :D Fun Fun! The garage is covered in paint dust. Starting to come off pretty good. Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow, wash it all good, vinegar wash and then get the Gluvit on .

Will let that cure for the week and then prime it all the week after.

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks like what i'am reading that you have a good part of the fun done . it always helps to see what you accomplished, rather then what you have left to finish . keep up the good attitude next thing you know you will be admiring it along with others.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got done applying the Gluvit! Glad that is over with. The worst part of all of this was trying to get the dang boat clean. There was SO MUCH silt and crap in the boat. Was a pain in the butt to get it all out.

Once that was done, I washed with dawn soap and water with a stiff scrub brush. After I got all that water out, I did a 50/50 water vinegar wash and scrub.

Had it in the garage with 2 space heaters on for about 3 hours. The temp in the garage was 65 when I started the Gluvit. Made sure I mixed it for about 4 minutes with a mixer attachment on my drill. Sealed everything up nicely. Will let it cure for the week and start the primer/paint next weekend! :D I think I am still going to go with a Battleship Gray...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Sounds good to me! Your diligence will pay off with a nice dry boat.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well here she is with a coat of Rustoleum metal primer... (ZC is under this)

picture.php

And here it is with one coat of Rustoleum Topside...

picture.php

picture.php

I will hit it with another coat this next weekend and that should be fine. Think its turnin out nice. I wasnt worried about getting all the old runs out or making the gluvit super smooth so you can still somewhat see that under the paint. Its a fishin boat and I just wanted to make sure its all sealed up and some good paint on it. ;) I'm happy with how its turning out.

Remember this is what I started with...

picture.php

twkjr 1250

Petty Officer 2nd Class

looks good that grey brings back old memories of when i was in the navy good choice there. guess you will be shining up the outside.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, Battleship Gray... Thought it would look nice :D

Yeah, I will probably just clean up and bring the shine back to the outside.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice Valco!! I restored my 1962 Sea King this Summer. I used Gluvit on the inside to seal it and and painted it with Rust-Oleum Oil Based Smoke Gray. It turned out great and I have no leaks. :) I also painted the exterior Hunter Green. Your Valco looks great with the original Aluminum and no paint. :) I had wooden seat boards that have all been replaced as well. Fun projects!!

This what it looks like:

SeaKingDone-1.jpg
[/IMG]

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yup, I saw and LOVED your boat. Very beautiful work you did!

Side note, I just moved last year from VA to OR... Spent about 8 years there up Winchester/Leesburg area.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JS!! It certainly is gratifying to finish and fish with it!! Did you enjoy you time in Virginia? Lynchburg is pretty nice. I fished on Saturday in Appomattox and my boy and his friend caught nice big perch. It was 35F!!

Your Valco is sweet. I like their body style; sweet... Keep us posted on your fishing adventures. ;)

Shoot me an e-mail sometime

EDIT

Last edited by a moderator:

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Went ahead and did the second (last) coat on the boat tonight. I put in the anti-slip additive in the paint so you can see it looks speckled. The second coat sure smoothed things out and turned out great! Love it. Very happy the way it turned out now.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks JS!! It certainly is gratifying to finish and fish with it!! Did you enjoy you time in Virginia? Lynchburg is pretty nice. I fished on Saturday in Appomattox and my boy and his friend caught nice big perch. It was 35F!!

Your Valco is sweet. I like their body style; sweet... Keep us posted on your fishing adventures. ;)

Yeah, I have to say I enjoyed it as thats where I met my wife :) Only thing I didnt like about it was the taxes. Very beautiful country though. Wish more of it was public land and not so much private. My brother still lives there so I will be back at times to visit.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The paint job came out great!

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The paint job came out great!

Thanks! You guys helped a lot with the process on how to do it :D

Going to wait a couple weeks to let it really cure up before I put the seats and such back into it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Good plan. Rusto makes a good hard finish but it DOES take a couple weeks of curing to get that way.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I keep looking at Coolness's boat and that green is just soooo nice.... Really making me think about doing the same to mine! :eek: Not sure I want to go through all that again though haha.

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey JS!! Thanks for the compliment on the Sea King!! I plan on applying another heavier coat come Spring. Same Hunter Green...

Now about painting that Valco - I wish mine had looked like yours. I would not have painted it. Mine was very ugly..... Check out my resto at this link. :)

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/coolness407/Sea King Restoration/

Your Valco looks great au natural.... Don't paint it!! ;)

Yeah, Northern Virginia is expensive. Lynchburg taxes are pretty reasonable. Someday I want to move back to New York State though the taxes are NOT good. Miss the Finger Lakes.