Looking for advice on first boat purchase.

bustoff

Cadet
We will be in the market for our first boat and are looking for a used power cruiser in the 26-28 foot range. My budget is $25K-$35K.
The boat will be used and docked in freshwater, mostly the Niagara River and Lake Erie. Certainly opinions will vary, but it's my understanding that Sea Ray, Four Wynns, and Regal are considered quality boats with good resale value. I've noticed lots of Bayliner's for sale.

What about some of the others like Rinker, Bayliner, Maxum, Chapparral and Monterey ?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking for advice on first boat purchase.

Add Chaparral and EdgeWater to your top list and no so much on newer Sea Ray

bustoff

Cadet

Same thing we tell everyone when looking for a used boat. Brand name means almost nothing, care and maintenance is everything. I'd take a well cared for Bayliner over any top ranked boat that hasn't had the proper care and maintenance.

In other words, forget brand names.

Thanks Bubba !
Let me ask you this question in the context of a first-time boat purchase. And far be it from me to pretend to know better. But, if a couple of years down the road it turns out I'm no longer interested in boating and want to sell my boat, and assuming all things being equal in terms of care and maintenance, wouldn't the "brand" come into play in that regard (i.e. easier to sell a boat with a strong brand recognition) ?

Bear in mind, my reference to "all things being equal" means two boats, both in superb condition. Are there some brands that have a better resale value ?

bustoff

Cadet

Add Chaparral and EdgeWater to your top list and no so much on newer Sea Ray

crabby - not sure I understand your remark about newer sea rays ? Did the quality diminish over the years ? And if so please define "newer.

thanks

tpenfield

Staff member

Take a look at Formula 27PC's

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bubba !
Let me ask you this question in the context of a first-time boat purchase. And far be it from me to pretend to know better. But, if a couple of years down the road it turns out I'm no longer interested in boating and want to sell my boat, and assuming all things being equal in terms of care and maintenance, wouldn't the "brand" come into play in that regard (i.e. easier to sell a boat with a strong brand recognition) ?

Bear in mind, my reference to "all things being equal" means two boats, both in superb condition. Are there some brands that have a better resale value ?
Of course, if they were both in the exact same condition but one was a Formula/SeaRay/Monterey/ v. a less liked brand then yes the less liked brand would be worth less.

Just make sure what you buy is quality and well maintained. Brand name isn't everything so don't be blinded by it.

Shoreleave

Cadet

Two factors will determine the amount of depreciation you suffer far more than the brand. Those are the price you pay for the boat and its condition. If you get a well cared for boat at a fair price, and you continue to take good care of it, you will be able to recover a fair value. Check any boats you look at against the NADA guide.

The other thing to watch for is potential engine/outdrive expenses. A boat that has been maintained by a professional mechanic is preferable IMO to a boat that has been maintained by its owner. The hours are also a factor. The more hours the engine has the more likely you are to have to do major repairs. If you have to spend thousands on engine/outdrive problems you will not recover that money when you sell the boat.

NHGuy

Captain

I disagree with the pro vs self maintained driveline comment. A fussy owner who adheres to the schedule is probably better than a shop. I am him, so that's why I say it!
But whichever, if it's been correctly cared for it will be fine and will last a long time. The boats you will be looking at have substantial value. I'd have a marine survey done on the boat you like. There's peace of mind having a professional inspection done.

Downforce6

Seaman

Guess u settled on the boat over the Rv! Good luck in your purchase man!

I don't know anything about boats of the size your looking for so I'll refrain, but am giving a +1 to a well cared for boat over brand name.

I will add that altho I've never so much as sat in one, I've always heard Cobalt boats were the standard for premium quality, worth checking into.

bustoff

Cadet

But whichever, if it's been correctly cared for it will be fine and will last a long time. /QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding like a dumb question . . . How do I determine if the boat has been well cared for ?

Downforce6

Seaman

But whichever, if it's been correctly cared for it will be fine and will last a long time. /QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding like a dumb question . . . How do I determine if the boat has been well cared for ?

When you narrow down to a boat you are seriously considering, you are going to want to hire a marine surveyor to inspect a boat of this size and value. There are many things to look for such as a soft floor but considering the investment and previous experience a marine surveyor really is the way to go. It will cost a little but will be worth the piece of mind.

A test ride/drive is also going to be a must, you really need to get out on the water in a boat of this size to determine if you are really going to be comfortable with it.

etracer68

Ensign

When my dad was into cruisers, (32ft to 42ft), the first thing he did was have a look in the bilge, if it was a mess, and dirty, he walked. Back when he had his last boat was a 38ft Chris, mid 60s, wood. You can tell right off, if the boat was taken care of. You need to get out and look at differant boats. As far as a Bayliner, I have had a few, and they were good boats. Some people will never see past the neg of these boats because of the owners, not the boat. Bayliners in my opinon, are the Chevy of boats.

pikefisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just my two cents but also keep in mind ,is this going to be at a dock (much better) or are you going to need to haul it to wear ever to enjoy it? I have seen a few people buy bigger boats and find out the truck is not up to hauling it or the hole family needs to go, in order to launch the beast, I would go threw all the steps of launching and pulling out and towing when you find the one you like.

Shoreleave

Cadet

"How do I determine if the boat has been well cared for?"

I had a Larson 25' cabin cruiser for 5 years (bought it new) and when I sold it I had all the maintenance records in a file along with the receipts for everything I had bought and installed. We had also spent big $ for a specially made Sunbrella cover that covered the entire boat when we weren't using it. The boat sat in fresh water (in the Columbia River) but I checked on it once a week during the winter and made sure the bilge was dry. I put a dehumidifier and heater in the cabin so it would stay dry and mold free. After 5 years the boat looked pretty much like it was new and there was not one hint of rot or mold anywhere. That's the sort of thing I mean by a well cared for boat.

Regarding professional vs. owner maintenance, as long as the owner keeps meticulous records and can show that he has followed all of the manufacturer maintenance schedules then that is fine. But when I guy says he maintained it himself and has no records to prove it I am skeptical. At least if he took it to a dealer for maintenance you should be able to independently verify if he actually maintained the boat.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have found after buying 19 different boats over a 60 year period that name brand does mean a lot. I also bought most of my boats used and let the original owner take the depreciation on it.

You should be able to tell how a boat was taken care of as soon as you get on it. I have always done all my own maintenance on mine as I am very fussy about the way it's done and I do it right.

There is no reason to not enjoy a boat with the idea of re-selling it in the future. I will bet the majority of boaters on here have owned more than one boat.

Sandi_k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

We aren't terribly experienced with boats (just bought our first!), but we looked at boats for a couple of months before we bought. Just like cars or jet skis, a little conversation with the owner is usually a good guide.

For example, when we asked open-ended questions, such as "Tell me about the maintenance you did on your boat..." - some owners then launched into a list similar to what Shoreleave describes. Others said things like "I washed it after we went tubing." or "I changed the oil on it." When pressed for records, those people always said "No, no records, I did it myself."

I'm sorry, but we do all our own maintenance on our own jet skis. We log the hours and maintenance items in our owner's manual, and we keep the receipts for oil, filter, spark plug purchases too. So we DO have records, even though we're DIY'ers.

We also asked for photos of the engine compartments and outdrive. Several people had obvious damage to the skeg, which immediately meant we were less likely to consider that boat.

If you have a reasonable list of questions, you'll get a feel for the maintenance nature of the owner pretty darned quick.