Brake Lights?

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone.
I'm just trying to save time, so I'm going to throw this out there for help.
All my lights work on the trailer, but when I hit the brakes the tail lights go off on both sides. Where would a good starting point be to look for the problem? While I'm waiting for some help I am going to check the bulbs to see if both are an issue.
Thanks!

82mustang

Seaman
Re: Brake Lights?

Possibly you may have the running lights and the brake lights backwards, had a similar problem but can't remeber what exactly I did to fix anymore. Also, try the trailer and towing section.

jhebert

Ensign

Based on the description of the trailer lamps given above, the problem is most likely a poor ground connection.

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Possibly you may have the running lights and the brake lights backwards, had a similar problem but can't remeber what exactly I did to fix anymore. Also, try the trailer and towing section.

This is the original wiring from Shorelander trailers, I have not changed a thing. That's why I am confused about this.

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Based on the description of the trailer lamps given above, the problem is most likely a poor ground connection.

If this could be a cause maybe I just need to spray some cleaner on the plug in and plug?

D

DJ

Grounds, Grounds, Grounds. That is a typical poor ground failure.

The white (ground) wire on your trailer should connect to the corresponding white wire in your tow vehicle harness. Do not count on the trailer coupler for a ground.

Also, remove your trailer tail lights and check the grounds between them and the trailer frame.

rellsun

Seaman Apprentice

Grounds, Grounds, Grounds. That is a typical poor ground failure.

The white (ground) wire on your trailer should connect to the corresponding white wire in your tow vehicle harness. Do not count on the trailer coupler for a ground.

Also, remove your trailer tail lights and check the grounds between them and the trailer frame.

This is most likely the problem i had the same thing wrong with my lights. It drove me crazy because they did what you said, work then go off when the brakes are pressed. I would double check that all your wires are hooked up right and securely.

nlain

Commander

I have a Shorelandr trailer, from experience, fix the ground circuit, also if this is original lights and wiring, the lights are probably bad, mine is a 2004, changed one light last year, will change out the other one this year. The lights are not sealed, water gets in them, they rust, you lose the ground, pulled the bottom lens out of the left one today, ground connection rusted, touched the plate above and it fell off, rusted. Check the grounds.

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If this could be a cause maybe I just need to spray some cleaner on the plug in and plug?

This exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago and after checking the ground(not it) I checked the plug and the plug in and they needed cleaning.

Sprayed them down/cleaned them and was good to go.

D

DJ

This exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago and after checking the ground(not it) I checked the plug and the plug in and they needed cleaning.

Sprayed them down/cleaned them and was good to go.

Which cleaned the ground which is in the plug. BTW, vinegar works very well for cleaning trailer light plugs.

rosser1

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have a ford ranger, and the wiring gave me fits also. i had to buy a little more expenive wire that went to the truck, instead of a 4 wire plug mine is a 5. due to the fact that ford wiring is well odd, but white is ground green is and yellow are turn brown is stop and red wire from 5 wire plug is running lights. that is the only way i could get mine to work. i fought with it for months then i read the fine print on the light and wiring kit. it said all truck my not be the same, get item # so in so. and i did and it works now.

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well it looks like I need to check the grounding front to back. My Ford has run this trailer for 4 years with no problems until this spring. It may even be cheaper to just buy a new set of lights with the harness instead of fighting what may be rust issues.
Dodger1234.

nlain

Commander

I got a new light today and installed on the left rear of trailer, the ground is run through the frame, fender lights and tail lights are grounded at the tail light to the frame. Since your problem is in the tail/brake lights check the grounds at the lights, on my trailer the right light has the grounds on the mounting bolt for the light and it is where you can see it, the left light has the ground behind the light on the mounting bracket, all rusted, I cut wires and moved ground to back side of mounting bracket on a separate small bolt, since tag bracket is plastic and mounts on the light bolts, no ground there, now I can see the condition of the connection. If your mounting bolts are rusted like mine were go buy new lights and install, repair the grounds at that time. Check yours and see if this fits your setup.

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks everyone!! I will see how well this works out this weekend.
Dodger1234.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Said a million times.
3 main causes of trailer light failure.
#1. Bad ground
#2. Bad ground
#3. Bad ground

Club soda can work pretty good for initially getting the oxidisation off connections just like vinegar as stated earlier.

Dodger1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I pulled all the wire and inspected it and the wires looked fine. I cleaned all the plugs and grounds with contact cleaner and everything is almost perfect. The one problem remaining is a new one ?? When my night lights are on the right signal light will not blink, it works with the brakes on and daytime running lights. When I put it on with my night lights it goes bright but does not blink but the truck signal light is working.

Dodger1234.

nlain

Commander

Check the bulb, I have seen bulbs blow and the filament cross over the other filament and give the results you discribe.