Hour meter

heyketz

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 120 in a 16' Fiberform. The hour meter counts whenever the key is on and I would like it to count only when the motor in running. How would I wire the hour meter to count only when the motor is running?
Thanks

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Hour meter

Wire whatever you want to run when you're engine is off to a switch. (Radio, etc)

thumpar

Admiral

Why would you leave the key on without the engine running. It can damage the ignition. If you need to run accessories just setup a switch for them. I set mine up with a second battery that runs everything but the engine, gauges and trim. There is a master switch I turn on to run everything else.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Install an oil pressure switch that comes on at 3-5 psi. With an ignition wire for power to the switch, and from the switch a wire to the hour meter.

I merged your two posts together, please don't post the same question in two forums.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

The hour meter runs when the engine runs, the engine runs because the key is on.
What am i missing here??????

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The hour meter runs when the engine runs, the engine runs because the key is on.
What am i missing here??????

Apparently the OP seems to be leaving his key in the "on" position (but engine not running) which is causing the hour meter to log time and he wants it to be logging time only if the engine is actually "running".

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

Apparently the OP seems to be leaving his key in the "on" position (but engine not running) which is causing the hour meter to log time and he wants it to be logging time only if the engine is actually "running".

Mark

Ayuh,... Pretty simple,................... turn the key Off....

thumpar

Admiral

I am guessing that he is leaving the ignition on to run accessories while burning up the points.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Engine electrics should be for just that, engine electrics... Accessories should be run through a completley seperate circuit and fuses panel...

Chris.........

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ayuh,... Pretty simple,................... turn the key Off....

Yea, we all know that; we're just not sure why/what the OP needs the key on for.

My 2001 Sea Ray actually has an 'accessory' position that the key needs to be in to turn the radio on if the engine is off yet all other mechanical systems seem to operate as long as the battery switch is "on". Not sure if that is "normal" or not for 27 foot cruiser type boats.

Mark

Bondo

Staff member

Yea, we all know that; we're just not sure why/what the OP needs the key on for.

My 2001 Sea Ray actually has an 'accessory' position that the key needs to be in to turn the radio on if the engine is off yet all other mechanical systems seem to operate as long as the battery switch is "on". Not sure if that is "normal" or not for 27 foot cruiser type boats.

Mark

Ayuh,.... That switch is a couple bucks more than the switch without the accessory position.....

I think it's 1 of those carry-over habits of Car drivers in boats,... ;)

My radio is on another circuit, by choice,...