Mark Twain Restore!!

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Mark Twain Restore!!

Here the cap sets all alone. I lowered it shortly after for stability reasons:eek:
026.jpg

Here the hull is.
029-1.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

Here is that great looking transom that everyone wishes they had.
033-1.jpg

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Here is another shot at that wonderful transom.
035.jpg

Here are bits and pieces that I collected along the way.
037.jpg

Just out of curiosity-What is that circle in the transom? The one that is about that diameter of a pop-can? Just curious...
038-1.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Really nice work on popping the cap.

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

nice job of using what you have
great pics​

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

So now here come the questions:

1> Here is a pic of the transom (duh) and as you can see the transom is not connected to the side of the hull like I have seen in many of the restore threads. Do I leave it this way or would it be better to attach it to the sides like in drewpsters thread for instance? I know most of you say leave it factory, but just wondering.
transomindetail.jpg

2> Just out of curiosity-What are those round 'holes' in the transom?
transomcircles.jpg

3> As you can see in the pics, the blue stripes on the boat are faded and scuffed/scratched off in places. Once I THOROUGHLY clean the cap, I was wanting to put new stripes on. I was looking at the tape like what iboats offers and was wondering if it would be ok if I just applied the new tape over the old?

Here is what I plan to do next weekend:

1> Purchase a cutting disk for my drill at Lowes and cut rest of floor out and cut transom out.

2> I will then sand the transom skin down and prepare it for the new transom. This is where I need to make a big decision-I really want to use sae-cast (or nida-bond) for my transom. I just cant decide if I really want to shell that much money out. In the long run it would definitely be worth it....a couple weeks ago I was set on using the pourable transom but now I am questioning what to do...

Once again, I encourage everyone to give me ideas on what you would do!
Thanks,
boatflipper

woosterken

Lieutenant

WOW!! i cant believe that you got that cap off with the horse in it :)

woosterken

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

Ok-
So no more progress has been made but the wheels in my head are a turnin'!

1. When the time comes to re-attach the cap, I am going to use stainless steel screws so that there will be no more rusty screws! Also, is it necessary to use every hole in the cap to screw it back to the hull? I counted all of the screw holes and there is a grand total of 93:eek: some of these screw holes are rather close together (about an inch-sometimes less) and others are rather far apart (close to a foot). Just wondering....

2. I would really like to put a ski-locker in. The idea just seems pretty handy however I am wondering how to go about it...I would like it to belocated in the center but the center stringer is obviously in the middle of the boat. I guess I could go ahead and put it in the center and when i open it up, the stringer would just be there in the middle.....anyway-if i do put one in-would I just build a wooden box, fiberglass it, and drop it in the hull (the wooden box would be to keep the items from sliding to the front of back of the boat:eek:)

Im sure many more ideas are to come so just bare with me...

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I would just use a screw about every foot or so to start and if you need to pull it tighter in areas add screws as necessary.
for the ski locker you could cut the stringer down as it doesnt look like it runs the length of the boat anyway. instead of building a box you can just build stops inbetween the stringers and glass them in. Just notch the bottom of them to allow drainage.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

ok so I have some excellent news-i talked my brother into letting me use his heated shop this weekend! hopefully some major progress can be made:D As much as I would like to get the transom fitted this weekend-i dont know if that is gonna happen cause I just talked to Lowes and the highest grade plywood they have is BC. Hence why I started a new thread- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=368875 Hopefully I can get some good opinions on using this for my transom.... I may decide to take ezmobee's advice and just glass it really well....well whatever happens i will keep you posted!!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

boatflipper,
That was a very innovative way to get the cap off. Well done. :)
As for the taped stripes. if they are tape and not painted them are more then likely vinyl, I would not put the new ones over the old. You should just be able to use a heat gun and plastic scraper to remove the old.
You can also find vinyl tape on-line in a lot of colors. You can get casted vinyl which is the top end for durability, ( about 9-10 years ) and the cost is really reasonable.
Good luck
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

to remove the remains of the vinyl use a pinstripe remover. It is basically an eraser you use in a drill. There is more info and pics of one on my thread.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

bob-
they are just the vinyl/tape-not paint.
skibum-
i actually saw that eraser contraption while reading through your post-very cool!

the only reason i thought about leaving the stripes on was that it would give me something to make the new ones straight (or at least something close to straight). If i do remove the old tape is there a good way to get the tape on there straight?

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

thanks ezmobee-
i will probably end up putting in a ski-locker and just tabbing in some ply in front and back like mentioned earlier. cant have more han enough storage! it would also give the underneath a vent for moisture to escape...i guess....

anyway.....i was searching ol faithful (craigslist) and found a guy that had some left over fiberglass products....what he has is (6) boxes of 'bondo glass' from auto zone and a 32 oz. jug of resin. He wants $50 for all of it. Could I use any of this? I am just lookin to save a buck but I dont wanna risk quality for value...

BobsGlasstream

Commander

boatflipper,
You have a lot of options to get it back on straight. Take some measurements around the boat from the edge of the cap. If the stripe is the same all the way around it's easy. just make or buy a gage that will allow you to draw the line to follow when installing the new stripe.
A second way would be to run masking tape around the edge of the current stripe and be careful when working close to the edge to not tear up the masking tape.
These are just a couple methods you could use. Another method would be to make a template of the old and transfer to the new.
Good luck
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Boatflipper,
I used 4 gallons of that resin for my boat, and the bondoglass is a great filler, The bottom of my transom was ground down and I filled it with bondoglass. Very strong stuff

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

If i do end up getting that stuff, would it behooove me to ask if it has been in freezing weather? Would bondo glass or resin be adversely affected if it had froze?

Also-I am still trying to figure out whether or not to leave the original transom design or tab the transom into the sides of the boat and 'fillet' the corners. Any help would be appreciated cause schools has been called off today and tmrw so i wanna get some work done!!!

Thanks a lot guys
boatflipper

sprintst

Commander

I talked to an epoxy supply about cold storage of the epoxy. I asked about how the epoxy would be affected if it froze in the can. He said it would just crystallyse and then return back to a liquid unharmed.
He did say he would be more worried about the hardener attracting moisture during the freeze an thaw.

Best to store it inside but if you forgot it looks like it will be ok. Not sure if it is the same for poly resin though.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

More progress was made this weekend!!:D
I spent about 2 hours on saturday getting the transom out and cutting the rest of the floor out. Sorry-but i forgot my camera at my house and I was at my brothers garage so...:mad:
I will try and get some pics ASAP!!! I will now be off to Lowes to get some plywood and then order some stuff from US composites. Wish me luck!
-boatflipper

BobsGlasstream

Commander

boatflipper,
US composite has some great materials but I hate to pay the hazardous material freight cost. I also know that just a couple hours south of you is another supplier that has great prices and may save some on shipping cost. If you want the info, I can PM their name and address. I know thier poly resin was only $20 bucks a gallon, and it works good.
Good to hear you are making progress.
Bob