Levee Jumping

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Levy Jumping

Another i boat know-it-all (at least he has named himself appropriately)...the internet seems to be full of them.

Yeah! you should have drove your truck and trailer there, pulled it out and relaunched it! ha!

Lets see guys, there were lets count them three guys and a kid watching that IDIOT running his boat across the levy. If that many people cant pull that boat across the levy than they're just lazy. As to being a know-it-all, at least I know what is safe. That was not.

skargo

Banned

Lets see guys, there were lets count them three guys and a kid watching that IDIOT running his boat across the levy. If that many people cant pull that boat across the levy than they're just lazy. As to being a know-it-all, at least I know what is safe. That was not.

I agree with you, people will go to any lengths to justify their irresponsible, lazy behavior! ;)

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with you, people will go to any lengths to justify their irresponsible, lazy behavior! ;)
I live not too far from E. Tenn. Looks like another perfect example of:
HEY Y'ALL WATCH THIS.:cool:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

reminds me of sand bar jumping from back in the day.

seems they spent more time laying out the log rollers than it would take to drag it over. But I don't see any reason to criticize the guys; it's his own boat that might get banged up and no risk to other people or property. As long as 40 people a day for 3 months a year don't do it, no harm done.

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Gee wiz, nothing worse than a self proclaimed iboats safety nazi.​

Having an opinion is one thing. Calling the guy an idiot is another. Are you sure you never done anything stupid in your past, and bragged about it?​

I have seen far worse things done, this is nothing.​

Cut the man some slack, I thought we all got along here.​

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry but beaching a boat with three guys and a kid standing there watching is not safe. Yes, I have done some stupid things in my life, but I don't video them and post them on the internet.

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

While definately not something I would do I don't see the big deal. How him skimming across some boards is substantially less safe than him running near the shore with people standing right there is beyond me. It's not like he was going 80 mph while doing it.

skargo

Banned

Gee wiz, nothing worse than a self proclaimed iboats safety nazi.

Having an opinion is one thing. Calling the guy an idiot is another. Are you sure you never done anything stupid in your past, and bragged about it?​

I have seen far worse things done, this is nothing.​

Cut the man some slack, I thought we all got along here.​

I don't see how calling someone a name correlates to getting along. :confused:

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

I don't see how calling someone a name correlates to getting along. :confused:

Well, the "nazi" comment was not meant to be directed at Bitter directly. Maybe the quote should have been left off and a lol added. I was trying to (and failed) to lighten this post up a little. Sorry if it appeared this way.

The real point is this: While what was done was not considered safe, if is no more dangerous than kids standing at their bus stops while cars whiz by. I would think the spectators were far enough away from him, but you really cannot tell from the video.

No one likes internet fights, and there is no real winners here. Learn from it and let's all move on.​

skargo

Banned

It didn't appear to be a fight, just some opinions being offered from both sides of the fence. ;)

dg512055

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I must offer my apologies. I did not mean to get a fight started here. I just thought that some folks might find a little entertainment in one of the things that duck hunters do on a regular basis. I can assure you that the drive to and from the site in the truck was more dangerous than this move. The speed involved may have reached all of 15 mph. The maximum speed of the boat is only 24 mph and this was done at a very low throttle. It is apparent from the user name of one of the commenters here that they are probably happiest when they have something to gripe about. In that case, this post has brought great joy to at least one person. I think the rest can understand this.

DG

fixb52s

Chief Petty Officer

Heck, I liked the video! :D

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I would of done the same thing, It did not look dangerous to me. I agree that the drive there is more dangerous than that maneuver.

Those duck boats are super durable, and can take a lot more abuse than that.

Keep jumping that levy!

tawood

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Levee Jumping

It's NOT unsafe...it was just the last argument the troll had after it became clear that the original poster was not damaging the levy. And yes, I called a name, because it fits.
Since safety is relative and subjective, we can argue ANYTHING is unsafe, even me typing here on my..."hack"..."cough"...uh oh!

steve201

Petty Officer 1st Class

HERE!!..HOLD MY BEER!!..I GOTTA TRY SUMPIN!!...actually it probably didn't do any damage to the levy....

steve

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Duck hunters have a mentality warped by too many cold mornings and leaky boots. They start by paying (or spending) to do something that ordinary people would only do for pay--leave a warm bed after a racuous night with the boys to go out in dark wet cold environs and stand around waiting for ducks to fly by. Running small boats in the cold and dark is about the most dangerous thing you can do. They are often at the mercy of weather and tides and can't return home whenever--they just have to ride it out sometimes. They do not hesitate to put their gear through the paces up to a level of abuse--just as they do their bodies. (I often think about some of the boaters around here who fret about scratches on the hull and paint wearing off the skeg, and how they'd react if they saw a boat being used for duck hunting).
So why do they do this? Like the dog's trick, because they can? Or some other primordial pull to the swamps, to shoot guns and build forts?

I can't answer it, but I ask it to myself throughout the season--as I have since I started 40 years ago! But I know a lot about boats, what they do when they work and what to do when they don't. (Last week I woke up on an island, 17' boat, gale winds, 30 degrees, alone, dead battery and cranky motor. made it home. went back a few days latter for 4 more days of it. it's what we do.)

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It's NOT unsafe...it was just the last argument the troll had after it became clear that the original poster was not damaging the levy. And yes, I called a name, because it fits.
Since safety is relative and subjective, we can argue ANYTHING is unsafe!

Since when is safety relative or subjective??

Scooting his boat across a levy is probly somthing he's done over and over again. But I wouldn't call it safe. Any number of things could've gone wrong there.

Safety goes hand in hand with common sense. Common sense would tell most rasonable folks to lift and or drag the boat across the levy. It ain't rocket science.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It's also not safe to drag barely-clad children clinging to a rope and standing on boards across deep water behind a high-powered internal combustion engine running at high RPM's and churning an uncovered sharp three bladed cutting device and spewing out deadly carbon monoxide--oh wait, that's water skiing.

lonewolfed

Cadet

LOL so much criticism. Its an aluminum boat built to take this abuse. Excellent control of the motor and helm skills. the wood put down makes damage to the boat and levee zero if you ask me.

PS Dude I'd jump in your boat any day looks like it'd be one of the funner moments of my life. Anyone giving you crap should just wonder why they are so upset over nothing.