fuel pump wont shut off

regal 182

Cadet
hey ive got a 1994 vovlo penta 4.3gs holley 4 bbl and am having problems ..it runs good on the muffs but whe i take it on the water it stalls..the carb would flood in all 4 barrels i rebuilt the carb replaced the relay the p.o supposedly replaced the pump and seperator i went out this morn turn the key on no pump..bump the starter pump starts and stayed runnin without the engine running flooding all 4 barrels repeated this same process 3 times same results all 3 times..tap the relay it shuts offfrom what i understand the pump is supposed to run a few seconds when u turn the key on to prime then shut off..it is a autozone relay..other than a bad relay what could cause this...

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: fuel pump wont shut off

hey ive got a 1994 vovlo penta 4.3gs holley 4 bbl and am having problems ..it runs good on the muffs but whe i take it on the water it stalls..the carb would flood in all 4 barrels i rebuilt the carb replaced the relay the p.o supposedly replaced the pump and seperator i went out this morn turn the key on no pump..bump the starter pump starts and stayed runnin without the engine running flooding all 4 barrels repeated this same process 3 times same results all 3 times..tap the relay it shuts offfrom what i understand the pump is supposed to run a few seconds when u turn the key on to prime then shut off..it is a autozone relay..other than a bad relay what could cause this...

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Donno why the pump won't turn off, but you have a Carb problem, as the floats, 'n needles should Stop the flow of gas from the runnin' fuel pump...

regal 182

Cadet

i just rebuilt the carb andput new needles in but not the floats.this is what it did that made me rebuild it..i guess i need floats too .i was wondering if the needles would stop the fuel even with the pump running..is the pump supposed to run when u turn the key on?

regal 182

Cadet

well not havin much luck with any questions i post on here:mad: im windering if someone can tell me what is suoppose to stop the fuel pump when the carb gets full

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The fuel pump doesn't stop running when the carb gets full. The float in the carb closes the needle valve and stops fuel from coming in, but the pump is still running.

Might want to check the fuel pump pressure.

Maclin

Admiral

What procedure did you use to set the float level?

regal 182

Cadet

The fuel pump doesn't stop running when the carb gets full. The float in the carb closes the needle valve and stops fuel from coming in, but the pump is still running.

Might want to check the fuel pump pressure.

ok checked the pressure and had about 7.5 psi had 5in vacuum on inlet.I jumped the 12v with the pump + on the relay wires.it actually only floods my secondary

Last edited:

regal 182

Cadet

What procedure did you use to set the float level?

i seem to have an oddball 4160 without a p.v no float adj. screws and no sight plug.so i really didnt adjust it i held the bowls upside down and the floats were level.needles seated tight..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You should not have 5" of vacuum on the inlet side of the pump, and the pressure is too high. Fix the vacuum side and I would bet the pressure side will come down and your problem will go away.

Here is how to check your vacuum problem on the inlet side. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=283269