Gas Can Thief

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice
Some Background info: I live on Candlewood Lake in Connecticut. In my neighborhood we have a community "boat club" with about 20 slips. In the past two weeks, a boat tube has been stolen from the dock, along with two 5 gallon gas cans. Each can was stolen about 3 days apart from each other. In the past month many cars have been broken into as well. This was always a safe neighborhood! :mad:

Anyway, I have a couple old gas cans, and got the idea to purposefully leave one on the dock for the thief. What kind of fun contaminants can I fill the gas can with to soil the crooks engine? :rolleyes:

Anybody have any good ideas?

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gas Can Thief

Fill it with gas, dump in a can a half of seafoam and follow the trail of smoke.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some Background info: I live on Candlewood Lake in Connecticut. In my neighborhood we have a community "boat club" with about 20 slips. In the past two weeks, a boat tube has been stolen from the dock, along with two 5 gallon gas cans. Each can was stolen about 3 days apart from each other. In the past month many cars have been broken into as well. This was always a safe neighborhood! :mad:

Anyway, I have a couple old gas cans, and got the idea to purposefully leave one on the dock for the thief. What kind of fun contaminants can I fill the gas can with to soil the crooks engine? :rolleyes:

Anybody have any good ideas?

So you live on Candlewood Lake and there is a thief.....I lived in danbury for 20 yrs and couldn't get out of there fast enough..good luck
FM :eek:

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

Haha, I live in Aqua Vista, I love the lake, and the neighborhood! However, Danbury.... I could take it or leave it!

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Haha, I live in Aqua Vista, I love the lake, and the neighborhood! However, Danbury.... I could take it or leave it!

no sheet..

how's the Hatch doin'.............

I know every one in that town..................

What u do for work.......

halfmoa

Ensign

How about 220 Volts and set it on a piece of plastic?

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

no sheet..

how's the Hatch doin'.............

I know every one in that town..................

What u do for work.......

The Hatch is still going strong! And I'm still in highschool, working at Martino's Pizza. (Formerly Caruso's Pizza)

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Leave the can half full of gas with a pound of sugar mixed in, anyone that steals it will get what they deserve.

got2bgreen45

Seaman Apprentice

I have gallons of old outboard fuel thats been fermenting in the garage for a few years. I think I'll up the 50:1 ratio with some used motor oil, used lower unit oil, sprite, and as much suger that will dissolve!

I guess we'll know who the thief is by the only man pulling his boat out of the water early!

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do a search of the myth-busters they did all tests and found bleach to be the most effective at washing the oil from cylinder walls.

nasty79z28

Seaman Apprentice

Sugar doesn't dissolve in fuel very well and will only clog the fuel filter. For a thief I would do 2-3 gallons of fuel and 1 gallon of bleach.

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Hatch is still going strong! And I'm still in highschool, working at Martino's Pizza. (Formerly Caruso's Pizza)

Caruso's is at the beginning of Harbour Ridge correct.....I was just there in June..My mother lives on Harbor Ridge Rd..
oh yeah..there is a very cute young lady who attends Danbury High who works there as well..I've spoken to her a couple of times..while waiting for the pie's......
BTY....I graduated DHS in 1982....very crazy school....when I was attending we had multiple racial riots ...very bad scene...for what reason I don't know...I had just moved to CT..coming from the mid west....I steered clear of all that crap......
Fish on Aqua Vista !!...there are alot of big browns down in what we used to call the " ICE BOX "....front of the FCI cliffs..go get um..hheh
FM

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Sodium Silicate.

The same stuff they used to disable the engines in the "cash for clunkers" program.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I like the Sea Foam idea. I personally think it would be a lot funnier if the perp's engine suddenly started spewing gobs of smoke causing him/her to think twice about petty theft but not really destroying anything. I understand the desire to see his or her engine seize, but we're talking about being the one to inflict thousands in damage and possibly leave someone stranded over a couple hundred dollars' (if that) worth of stuff. Not only that, but what if for some reason someone innocent unknowingly used the gas? Think about it. There are many scenarios in which that's possible. Not worth it. Do the Seafoam trick and prepare to laugh your arse off. Welcome to iboats.:cool:

robert graham

Admiral

Leave the can half full of gas with a pound of sugar mixed in, anyone that steals it will get what they deserve.
Yep!, that'll cure the thieves!...just don't get that can mixed up with your good ones and accidently use it yourself!...tie a little ribbon on the handle so you'll know the bad stuff!....

tswiczko

Master Chief Petty Officer

1 gallon bleach and the rest gas.

I had my gas can stolen about 3 months ago and the SOB filled it from my truck before he left.

I would put the gas can out there and point some wildlife cameras at it. Nothing says busted like the flash from a camera. And you'll have the dumbfounded look on his face so you can post it in SHTs:rolleyes:

Fishin Magician

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would put the gas can out there and point some wildlife cameras at it. Nothing says busted like the flash from a camera. And you'll have the dumbfounded look on his face so you can post it in SHTs:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

yeah..
I like this idea the best !........
.....the thieve's will do themselves in eventually........just a question of time..

ahh .......go ahead and give'um the FOAM....

FM