Lister Diesel

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, i was trolling craigslist and found a Lister diesel for sale. Now for those who aren't aware Lister diesels (at least the low powered ones) were first manufactured in 1929. They ended the production run in the 80's-same engine. They were the first cold start diesels(no preheating). Mechanically they are beautiful machines, they can still be found running in rural areas out of the states. Now the problem is the one I found is seized. If anyone knows anything about these engines feel free to chime in. I want it really more for the novelty of it-i love all things mechanical, but at the same time I would probably throw a generator end on it at some point in the future. Also, even though they haven't been made in decades, clones are still being produced in India (Listeroid diesels), so parts availability is a non issue. Final note and i swear I'll be done, a 10kw genny based off of the proper sized engine-they came from 6-24 hp-burns .3 gph (1/3). That is way better than my smaller gas generator. Amazingly better. Thank you
And-Con
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/tls/1442508611.html

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Lister Diesel

Now i promise im done-im planning on low balling him as much as possible since at this point its scrap iron and little more

wizbang 13

Seaman Apprentice

I've been through the panama canal 3 times with my boat. The tenders used on the pacific side use 1 cyl. listers. The guys rip them apart right in the boat and vice grip them back together ,same day.Air cooled, got to yell at the person next to you. Running 12 hours a day for 60 years.Wish I had one in the back of my VW

j_martin

Admiral

The Amish will run an entire buggy shop on one rigged up to run a master shaft and many flat belt driven machines. They will idle all day on a gallon of fuel, only burning anything significant when loaded.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

And they are still being made in clone form in places like red china to India.

bandit86

Banned

I wouldnt worry too much about. I dont know about lister's specifically, buyt a good soaking of the cylinder walls with penetrating lubricant or atf or both, let her sit and try turnignthe crank. Unless you can't get fluids into the cylinders, then you may have a problem.

for that price I's buy it and have a look.

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

siezed do to moisture = underwater maybe and being Punta Gorda could be salt water?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

That'd be neat to play with. Did you make your offer yet?

dolluper

Captain

I'dd say the guy gave up on trying to un seize it....but for something to play with to get going again would be worth the effort....they run better than most newer ones forsure

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Love the Lister engine, I'd buy it pull off the heads and start by using some PB Blaster into the cylinders. I would not try to rotate the engine, open up the case and soak everything then strip it down and rebuild it. trying to rotate it you might score the crank journals etc.
To bad its not water cooled you could make one heck of a co-gen plant out of it. I've always wanted to do that but never have the time:(

Good luck and keep us posted

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

im running out there to look at it and while i am very interested im not planning on paying 200 for an engine that may very well be nothing but scrap. Is there anything i should know about these before jumping in head first. Aside from the engine probably weighing +/- 800 lbs and me having no clue how that gets into a jeep, the bulk of these things has been made clear to me. I would assume standard seized engine procedure, pull heads, spray pb blaster, wait, spray more, try to turn it, etc, then see from there? I've dealt with gas engines in various states of not running with decent success, but never done anything with a diesel other than call a mechanic. I guess once i look at it ill have more to go by, thanks for the interest, ill try to keep ya'll posted

WizeOne

Commander

It's hard to determine how to proceed. If you go out there and take it apart and make it turn, the guy isn't going to want to bargain.

My advice is to go out and look, listen to his story and make your assessment. Expect the worst. Then you can pull whatever cash you think you want to pay out of your pocket and tell him, take it or leave it. I don't think that motor has a wide appeal. Who's ever heard of a Lister diesel?

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So the engine had been in a barn fire, been left sitting a decade or 2(my entire life?!?) and while i do love then engine and it did appear complete i don't think im interested. I know they don't have huge appeal, and wouldn't be buying it expecting to offload it any time soon-or for a profit. It would be like another boat, not bought for any real reason, just because i think they're cool. For the amount of hassles fixing it would be, i think im still better off trying to find an Indian copy. I say i would buy it for no reason, but really we have gone for weeks at a time with no power here(hurricanes Charlie Wilma etc) and a 10kw head on that would run most of the house, and much cheaper than our gas screamer genny. Thanks for the heads up-also if anyone else has interest in set ups like that Google f1 rocketboy, it chronicles him setting one up as whole house back up.

WizeOne

Commander

Awe, that's disappointing.

My point about them not being widely know was that you could have probably offered him 50$ to take it off his hands and he would have taken it. I doubt he is getting any action on it.