What are useful tools for inexpensive outboard repair tool box

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What are useful tools for inexpensive outboard repair tool box

Are banks still making loans these days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

May I suggest you start with the basics (socket set, spanner wrench set, and screwdriver set). Buy or borrow the rest as needed. By the end of the project you may end up purchasing a lot of the other things on the list anyway, but if you spread it out over time the sticker shock is not as great.;)

Most people take years to build up their tool box with the things they "need". A lot of the tool boxes have very humble beginnings (screwdriver, pliers/adjustable wrench, and maybe a spanner set).

Take your time, ask lots of questions, be patient, and have fun.:D

P.S. Has anyone mentioned a scraper to scrape off old gasket material?

a70eliminator

Captain

Cresent wrench, vise grip, screwdriver, hammer.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Glad to see someone suggested Vice Grips. I have two sizes and use them often. The small one can hold a common single edge razor blade and makes an outstanding gasket removal tool. An experienced outboard mechanic once advised me to use only 6-point wrenches and sockets on the bolts and nuts on an outboard. Why? Often they are stainless steel - a little softer than the carbon steel fastners used in automotive applications. The six-point tools will not round off the corners of the bolt/nut if it's hard to extract.

A spray can of penetrating oil (PB Blaster is my favorite) is also an excellent tool.

Your request was for basics and there has been some excellent suggestions. An item for future consideration would be a tap and die set. I bought both an American and Metic set at Sears years ago and they have paid for themselves time and time again - most often by cleaning up and repairing the fastners and the holes in which they fit.

wellsc1

Petty Officer 1st Class

+ OEM factory repair manual, Impact screwdriver for getting out the difficult (stuck) screws,hammer

And if that hammer won't fix what other tools are supposed to do, get a bigger hammer. I couldn't help myself. :D

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, what a great response from the forum. Thanks very much to all your suggestions and tool recommendations!!! I'm made a printed list of all the recommendations and I will start out with basics and build from there.

Can't wait to get started on the motor!!!!

Cajuncook

SparkieBoat

Captain

take a trip to harbor freight tools...I have not seen anyone list a pair of long needle nose pliers..shame on you all...I can not work for more than 5 minuets on my boat motor without reaching for my 12" needle nose pliers, keep them in my back pocket. also an extend able magnet for nut and bolt retrieval.
I also have found my 4" grinder indispensable. Sams Wholesale has a Channel lock ratchet/socket/wrench set for $70 I have had mine for about 2 years, the best quality you can get for the money, my 1/4 ratchet slips sometimes, but the 3/8 and 1/2 are jam up. and I have not split/strip a socket either. most of the other needed tools are at harbor freight at cheap prices.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Grease gun??

Go to your local swap meet...you'll find many of these tools on the cheap.

I would also like to emphasize the "impact driver." I bought one of these twenty years ago and never really used it until many on this board spoke of its merits. I not cannot quit using it. If a screw does not loosen with reasonable pressure, out comes the impact driver. I no longer have "rounded slots" and buggered up fasteners. They're amazing for outboards!

MAS

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Also, be wary of Harbor Freight tools. Most of their stuff is crap. I would much rather spend the same money on quality used, than new from HF. My rule of thumb is "If it has more than one moving part....look elsewhere!"

MAS

piggy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best advise I can offer is, Throw the darn motor in the trash can don't spend a ton of money on tools (you will over time) take your son on a 2 week fishing trip instead. But then you won't get a lot of good advise from a great bunch of guys and you won't have the thrill of making a hunk of junk run again.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

Buy enough tools & you'll wanna break something just so you can fix it!

SparkieBoat

Captain

you do have to watch what you buy from harbor frieght tools, but many of the tools are ok for the back yard mechanic, I usually loose them or loan them out to a friend ( same as losing) before they break. I have a lot of tools from them and most do fine, some even offer a lifetime warranty for a small price..not a bad deal for a guy like me, If I did mechanic work for a living it would be a different story though.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

By now you can see that there is no such thing as a cheap tool set. Invest in all the things everyone is saying. Once you get started on one motor, you will catch the "bug". Then you will be happy you have invested well.

As for harbor freight, not all there stuff is bad. Half my stuff is from them and I have gotten three motors started, renovated my Lund, and still use a lot of their stuff. Just don't get their hand power tools...especially anything cordless.

pmillar

Petty Officer 1st Class

To repeat a few good pointers - get decent quality tools (craftsman is a good, safe place to start for hand tools), oem shop manual and find a knowledgeable friend to assist. ;)

Oh yeah, in the "nice to have but not necessary" category let me add a decent compressor. It's nice to blow things out with compressed air + air tools can be a bonus.

(note: I have yet to turn a wrench on an outboard [soon] but have done plenty w/ motorcycles)