Adding an accessory outlet

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm adding an accessory outlet, the round auto type. The outlet is rated @ 15 amps however doubt I'll ever get close to 15 amps. The most I might pull would be 5~ amps when using my thermoelectric cooler which is rated @ 5 amps. The motor alternator output is rated @ 15 amps according to the manual.

What gauge wire should I run? Coming from the battery the distance is 10~ feet.

Jim

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Adding an accessory outlet

Walmart sells a black plastic battery box with a 12 Volt outlet built into the top, with a breaker and a battery guage...about $25...might save you some trouble, unless you just want your outlet built into your dashboard/control panel....

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

Lots of posts on appropriate wire/fuse size for various applications. For a 10 foot run, 12 ga would allow you close to a 20 amp draw. Seems like overkill for what you want. To use the full capacity of the outlet (why not - who knows what you'll be doing in the future?) you'd go 14 ga protected w/15 amp fuse/breaker. Or, if you're sure you won't be going that heavy draw, use 16 ga protected w/10 amp breaker.

No problem going w/bigger wire - just a little more expensive and harder to handle/connect. Many of the posts on here say don't go smaller than 16 ga for any of your circuits.

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just my .02 i would use 12 gauge copper core wire and a inline fuse with a 15 amp fuse. . if you want it to work weather to boat key is on or off i would wire it directly to the battery. if you want it on only when the boats on run it to the blower switch or a switch if you have one. not sure what boat you have. good luck. just a fyi if you can soilder your connections dont just crimp them doing so will keep the connections from corroding or being pulled out.:cool:

TTavenier3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Walmart sells a black plastic battery box with a 12 Volt outlet built into the top, with a breaker and a battery guage...about $25...might save you some trouble, unless you just want your outlet built into your dashboard/control panel....

those battery boxes are alot more than that. i think i seen one at my local walmart for 49.99.
if you can get them for 25 bucks ill have you buy me 2 and ship them to me and ill send you a check.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lots of posts on appropriate wire/fuse size for various applications. For a 10 foot run, 12 ga would allow you close to a 20 amp draw. Seems like overkill for what you want. To use the full capacity of the outlet (why not - who knows what you'll be doing in the future?) you'd go 14 ga protected w/15 amp fuse/breaker. Or, if you're sure you won't be going that heavy draw, use 16 ga protected w/10 amp breaker.

No problem going w/bigger wire - just a little more expensive and harder to handle/connect. Many of the posts on here say don't go smaller than 16 ga for any of your circuits.

I tried to search for other posts on gauge recommendations and found so many unrelated posts to what I need to know :confused: ... Anywho I have plenty of 16ga and some 14ga wire in my shop...

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

those battery boxes are alot more than that. i think i seen one at my local walmart for 49.99.
if you can get them for 25 bucks ill have you buy me 2 and ship them to me and ill send you a check.

This is on a pontoon and wanted to mount the outlet in the helm.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just come off an empty slot on the accessory fuse panel with 14 ga. wire and a 15A fuse. The fuse panels are located in the helm, no need to go all the way to the battery.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just come off an empty slot on the accessory fuse panel with 14 ga. wire and a 15A fuse. The fuse panels are located in the helm, no need to go all the way to the battery.

Where would you recommend I run the ground to?

Jim

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many times there is a ground buss on the fuse panel. I have no idea what you have (can't see it) but if you post some pictures under there I would bet we can find it for you.

PS, it will have a bunch of black wires going to it.

JGator

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the valued advice. I decided to run 14ga with the 15amp inline fuse directly from the battery. It was actually much easier than using the fuse block.

Jim