60hp mercury fuel problem,HELP?

silvereagle

Cadet
OK,I replaced all fuel lines,ball,filter fuel pump diaphram kit,too the boat out yesterday starts up rund great,as soon as I start to go from just above idle to half full throttle a little hesitation then she takes off,and then I noticed I installed a glass see thru filter after the ball and it sucks completely DRY?I have to stop and pump the ball up and do it all over again?>I just dont get it?can anyone help me?PLEASE

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 60hp mercury fuel problem,HELP?

Very simple stated...you have an air leak...loose fitting, bad fuel fitting...you need to find the air leak..try a portable tank to eliminate your built in tank. That will take that piece out of the equation...

Tomtina3

Cadet

Also possible that you installed the fuel line backwards? Check the fuel flow direction on the pump ball? Also on the fuel filter? Check the tank vent? Something is causing a vaccum... is the ball being sucked flat?

silvereagle

Cadet

no, the ball was not sucking in,just the glass filter was sucking empty,I checked everything is new and tight?I replaced the glass filter after the ball and it seems to be idleing a little higher,could that have been the issue?lines look great,I replaced them a month ago cleaned the tank replaced all lines a month ago even double hose clamps

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you did open fuel vent...right!!?

silvereagle

Cadet

you did open fuel vent...right!!?

I have a aluminum tank in the back of the boat I took it out and washed it out and replaced all rubber,I installed a new filler cap and vent,I can not close it?so I took out the glass see thru filter I put on after the squeeze ball.I am going to take it out either MON,or TUES. I started it up in the driveway and it seems to be idleing a little higher than normal? but starts up every time. THANKS for the help!

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Usualy higher than normal idleing means that the motor is running lean and still not getting enought gas.
Oldman570

silvereagle

Cadet

is it possible that I hooked up the main gas line to the gas tank vent line?would it still run ok for several minutes at wide open throttle than stall?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Not likely as there is no gas there for the pump and primer bulb to suck and use. Disconect the fuel line between the tank and bulb and blow air in the line and see if you can hear, or see, the air bubbles in the tank with the fill cap removed.
Oldman570

silvereagle

Cadet

ok,I took the boat out the other day without the glass filter after the primer ball,it ran like a champ no issues at all,then took it out yesterday with my wife for crabbing,the wife says wow the boat runs smoother nice smooth acceleration, took off great no issues, then about 3 hours into or crabbing trip of checking crab nets,I went to take a little cruise to cool off,it was like 94 out hot.then here we go again stall,pump up the ball again thinking it was a fluke,NOPE stall after stall I coud not go 100 yds without the boat stalling and having to pump up the ball, I am out of all answers, what else could it be?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

After cleaning the carbs and tank the motor should have run great as stated. Almost sounds as tho dirt from somewhere is getting into the carbs again. You will proble have to clean them again. While doing so replace the fuel lines with new hose that is ethenoil resistant, if you have not done so already. Ethenoal will eat up the old style rubber fuel lines and cause small bits to be pumped into the carbs.Go to Pure Gas on your internet browser and see if there is a gas station near you that sells non ethenal gas , and use it in All your smal motors (mowers, chainsaws, weed eaters, and etc, as it will mess them up if gas is left set in them for a week or more. I always run my motors dry fo gas when they will be setting as such. Fule shutoffs can be bought at most hardware stores and mower shops, and can be placed in the fuel line if there is no shutoff nor disconect as on outboard. JMO
Oldman570

silvereagle

Cadet

After cleaning the carbs and tank the motor should have run great as stated. Almost sounds as tho dirt from somewhere is getting into the carbs again. You will proble have to clean them again. While doing so replace the fuel lines with new hose that is ethenoil resistant, if you have not done so already. Ethenoal will eat up the old style rubber fuel lines and cause small bits to be pumped into the carbs.Go to Pure Gas on your internet browser and see if there is a gas station near you that sells non ethenal gas , and use it in All your smal motors (mowers, chainsaws, weed eaters, and etc, as it will mess them up if gas is left set in them for a week or more. I always run my motors dry fo gas when they will be setting as such. Fule shutoffs can be bought at most hardware stores and mower shops, and can be placed in the fuel line if there is no shutoff nor disconect as on outboard. JMO
Oldman570

THANK YOU, I did replace all fuel lines,I took the boat out 4 days ago runs great,2 days later runs great in the morning the we crab for about 3 hours real hot outside just idleing around,so we go to take a cruise takes off great then sucks all the fuel from the ball,ball is not sucked flat just empty? then I re-pump the ball and the same thing over and over?I am leaning I think to the fuel pump?

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

Very well could be the fuel pump going bad. It has disc in it that has to seal along with a diafram and is fairly easy to rebuild. Buy the total rebuild kitfor it if you rebuild the pump. A simple test to see if the pump is bad is to take the fuel line off going to the carbs and put another on the pump and crank the motor over to see if the pump is pumping. Place the hose in a container and you should get a good flow of gas from the hose. There is a chance that dirt in the pump is not letting it seal the Disc as needed some times.
Oldman570

michaud500

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the sA\ame issue! I rebuilt everything. I read on the forum that some replaced the primer bulb with an Attwood product and had the same issues. He replace it with a Mercury primer and it fixed teh problem.. I am in the process of doing the same thing. It culd be that the bulb is restricting the flow of gas???

silvereagle

Cadet

Very well could be the fuel pump going bad. It has disc in it that has to seal along with a diafram and is fairly easy to rebuild. Buy the total rebuild kitfor it if you rebuild the pump. A simple test to see if the pump is bad is to take the fuel line off going to the carbs and put another on the pump and crank the motor over to see if the pump is pumping. Place the hose in a container and you should get a good flow of gas from the hose. There is a chance that dirt in the pump is not letting it seal the Disc as needed some times.
Oldman570

tHANK YOU,it is just strange when I replaced the diagphram the one INSTRUCTIONS SHOW the face plate,then gasket mat, then diagphram material,then the pump body,and another shows diagphram material then gasket the body?a little confused

silvereagle

Cadet

I have the sA\ame issue! I rebuilt everything. I read on the forum that some replaced the primer bulb with an Attwood product and had the same issues. He replace it with a Mercury primer and it fixed teh problem.. I am in the process of doing the same thing. It culd be that the bulb is restricting the flow of gas???

I put on a new mercury ball and line,I assumed it was 3/8 so for the most part it works?I think,lol

oldman570

Lieutenant Commander

My manual shows the rear cover, then gaske,t then diaphram, then pump body along with check valves, then diaphram, then gasket, then front cover in that order. This is for 1989 and newer motors. Other years are diffrent.
Oldman570

silvereagle

Cadet

My manual shows the rear cover, then gaske,t then diaphram, then pump body along with check valves, then diaphram, then gasket, then front cover in that order. This is for 1989 and newer motors. Other years are diffrent.
Oldman570

THANKS,THis is wierd,my motor is a 1987 60 hp,ok I noticed in the diaphram kit the back cover gasket but I have no back cover?it is part of the side head with at least 4-5 bolts,is this my problem?I have the head then what looks like a plate about 8 inches long by 4 inches wide with a spot to mount I asm guessing the fuel pump.wow