Bennington or Sun Tracker

forthetide2

Cadet
My wife and I are in the market for a new pontoon. We were pretty much sold on the Fishin Barge 24 by Suntracker until I found a fishing series by Bennington, the 22 SF. It seems like you get more for your money with the Suntracker but the Bennington has an outstanding warranty on paper, I don't know how well they stand behind it.
Anyway, we need advice. This will be our first pontoon and we don't know what we're doing. We have 2 kids ages 5 and a 3 month old lil girl. I love to fish and the wife loves to just sun bathe, I'm sure the kids want to ride the tube eventually so I'm not sure what HP to go with. There will usually be 6-8 people in the boat. Any suggestions?

a1nowell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bennington or Sun Tracker

Go with the Suntracker and put the money difference in the engine.

Just my $0.02 worth

Welcome aboard,
Larry

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Any reason for going new? You can get a TON more for your money by getting one just a couple years old.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Ask yourself just how much fishing will you be doing. Are you prepared to give up X% of your useable space to an area that is solely for fishing. Can you fish off another setup? Resale will be impacted with the fish setup, and not in a good way.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It all depends on your location. In MN the prices for used toons are crazy, unless you get some beater from the 80's or 90's. Thats why I bought new. No one in this state is taking a hit from owning a fish-n-cruise toon, if anything they are at a premium. I bought a Lowe from Cabela's. It was a way better value then the Tracker. They advertise a low price, but thats because they come with a 25hp motor. One thing to check out is the platform construction and the furnature. I believe Bennington has the best seating out of all the manufactures and you pay more for it. Look at all the options you want to compare to make sure the playing field is level.
Good luck!

Oregonizm

Cadet

It's apples and oranges. It's Nissan and Lexus. It's Suntracker and Bennington .... and you get what you pay for.

lakegeorge

Senior Chief Petty Officer

First of all, both boats are very good, Pontoon boats as a whole are pretty bullet proof. I would use the savings in money and put it into an engine. As your kids get older they will want to tube and maybe ski, you will need HP to do that.

There are thousands of pontoons on the water and most were there before anyone ever heard of Bennington, so don't be afraid to buy something else.

forthetide2

Cadet

First of all, both boats are very good, Pontoon boats as a whole are pretty bullet proof. I would use the savings in money and put it into an engine. As your kids get older they will want to tube and maybe ski, you will need HP to do that.

There are thousands of pontoons on the water and most were there before anyone ever heard of Bennington, so don't be afraid to buy something else.

Well, believe it or not the price isn't that different. I wanted the 22' Suntracker but it's max HP is only 90 and the 24' ST can mount a 115. On the other hand, the 22' Bennington max HP is 135 I think and it's lighter than the ST. The quote on the 22' Bennington is 28,321 with 115 and on the 24' Suntracker it's 27,250 with 115....both with trailers.

forthetide2

Cadet

Ask yourself just how much fishing will you be doing. Are you prepared to give up X% of your useable space to an area that is solely for fishing. Can you fish off another setup? Resale will be impacted with the fish setup, and not in a good way.
We'll be fishing probably 50% of the time and I plan on holding onto the boat for 8-10 years so resale doesn't bother me so much. I'm buying for me, not the guy I might sale it to in the future

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If the price is that close, definitely go with the Bennington.

pontoonsteve

Cadet

Buy what you like, your the one who will be paying for it. As long as you take care of her she will treat you right. But, whatever you buy get the biggest motor it can handle. You will not be sorry!

forthetide2

Cadet

Go with the Suntracker and put the money difference in the engine.

Just my $0.02 worth

Welcome aboard,
Larry
The Suntracker's max HP is lower than the Bennington on most boats. I could get up to 135 on the 24' Sun Tracker but is there that much difference between a 115 and 135? Also, which engine is the best? It looks like all I can get on my Sun Tracker is mercury but the Bennington offers about everything. Thanks for all the replies

sasada

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Suntracker's max HP is lower than the Bennington on most boats. I could get up to 135 on the 24' Sun Tracker but is there that much difference between a 115 and 135? Also, which engine is the best? It looks like all I can get on my Sun Tracker is mercury but the Bennington offers about everything. Thanks for all the replies

I owned a Fishing Barge 22' 3 years ago and at the time it was 6 years old. It was a good bout for the money but believe they have really gotten better in the last couple years. It only had a 40hp and went 15.5mph GPS. Now they have the toons that actually plane out and IMO you would notice very little different between a 115 and a 135.

muskiemike12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 135hp Optimax is a v-6 motor, it is basically a tuned down 150. The 115 would most likely be a 4-stroke or a Optimax I-3 motor.

Last edited:

hankhill

Cadet

My first boat was a 2004 Suntracker Regency 24 with a Merc 90 2-stroke. Had a lot of fun, great boat . Just traded it a month ago for a 24ft Bennington with 140 Suzuki 4 stroke. There truly is nothing like a Bennington !!!!!

forthetide2

Cadet

My first boat was a 2004 Suntracker Regency 24 with a Merc 90 2-stroke. Had a lot of fun, great boat . Just traded it a month ago for a 24ft Bennington with 140 Suzuki 4 stroke. There truly is nothing like a Bennington !!!!!

What separates your bennington from the sun tracker?

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

There truly is nothing like a Bennington !!!!!

582560_10150657966202014_342018378_n.jpg

Oh what a feeling....

Oregonizm

Cadet

airdvr .... why is your stearn so low in the water in that picture? You must have a whole bank of those outboards hanging back there that we can't see in the picture.

oldjeep

Admiral

airdvr .... why is your stearn so low in the water in that picture? You must have a whole bank of those outboards hanging back there that we can't see in the picture.

LOL - looks like it is on a pullup lift