1981 Johnson 115 starter

Groat

Cadet
Hey guys. I am looking for the above rebuild kit. The model # of the engine is a J1L5TLCIM and the numbers I pulled off the starter were: MES:02S08 and on the bottom of the cap-American Bosch: 2070221M030SM....Starter burnt out due to the bolt being loose causing it to short and make me wonder why it would start when it wanted to. I knew nothing about the engine when I bought it...neither did the guy who sold it to me.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1981 Johnson 115 starter

i do not see a rebuilt kit. new starter BRP $195.00 try http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/ looks like this is it. http://www.db-starter-alternator.co...ine Starter Johnson 80-140 HP 106-025 SAB0062
Part Number: 0389954
Description: MOTOR AY,STARTER
Pack Qty: 1
Dimensions: 9.25 x 4.50 x 4.50 (in)
Weight: 7.00 lbs

you can see diagram and parts list here, and order individual parts. http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=bf6ad09c53cead335fcfd8a6471c0f7f
Equivalent Parts: 0585057,0586283

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Don't know where you are but check out the smaller privately owned starter and alternator shops. I have one near me that will re-build any starter, alternator, dynamo (yes that old) or whatever at a really reasonable cost and with a warranty. If the place you go to tells you that you must buy a new one then you did not find the right place yet !!! (unless yours is actually smashed and not re-buildable)
Good Luck.

Groat

Cadet

I thank you gentlemen for the replies. Being here at a Military installation offers a wealth of buisnesses. I checked the places out that they had and in fact there is a starter/alternator rebuild shop right outside of post. Good idea I cant believe I didnt even think those places where still around. I love kickin it old school with you guys who are full of knowledge. As always this forum gets my full support and I will keep you posted on if they decide if they can repair it or not. On another note as well, if the starter was draining the battery due to it drawing power...should I replace the negative and positive cables from battery to the starter/solenoid?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I thank you gentlemen for the replies. Being here at a Military installation offers a wealth of buisnesses. I checked the places out that they had and in fact there is a starter/alternator rebuild shop right outside of post. Good idea I cant believe I didnt even think those places where still around. I love kickin it old school with you guys who are full of knowledge. As always this forum gets my full support and I will keep you posted on if they decide if they can repair it or not. On another note as well, if the starter was draining the battery due to it drawing power...should I replace the negative and positive cables from battery to the starter/solenoid?

No harm in replacing the cables if you in doubt about them. It will only improve your motor. Glad you found somewhere to re-build. Keep us posted how you make out. You should check the charging system on your motor as well in case it is not getting the charge you are using replenished.
Tell us more about you and the military. I am an Englishman living in Canada for the last 20 years but indebted to all the military folk that do so much for us all.