Wicked Tuna

Fly Rod

Commander
Starting April 1st at 10:00PM eastern time on the National Geographic station a ten week program about fishing out of Cape Ann, Gloucester, Massachusetts for Blue Fin Tuna. The program is called "Wicked Tuna." It will show these fellas fishing from just out side of the port to 130 - 150 miles from shore. The film has been in the making all summer and fall. One of my friends, the bald headed guy has a very good track record for catching tuna.

Re: Wicked Tuna

Cool, will be on the look out for it. Heard you guys in Goucester have macks in big numbers, and herring have showed up at the runs early.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

Yea, have to catch that! I fished those Gloucester jetties as a boy a few times when the big bluefish first started going up that far,and further - 1975,76,77. I wonder if they still do? I would see the fishing boats come in with their Bluefin flags flying.

Fly Rod

Commander

Eric:
No mackerel here..... came into the harbor one day two weeks ago..... no one has seen or caught any since.

Socey: We still get bluefish, last summer was slow...... Tuna fish in them days were 5 cents a pound until the japanese got involved with buying tuna.......average price today when all said and done is 6 bucks a pound.....yes you hear about the 25-30 dollar a pound but few and far between. You want to go broke fishing, go tuna fishing. You only hear the good , not the bad.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I've missed this show! I was hell bent on seeing it but i forgot :/
Don't get me wrong, watching fishing is alot better than a whole lot of things but I don't think it was all that - a bunch of egos. Those are some beautiful fish though. It seems those comercial guys don't like the poor weekend guys who want to get in on the action - too bad!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Don't get me wrong, watching fishing is alot better than a whole lot of things but I don't think it was all that - a bunch of egos. Those are some beautiful fish though. It seems those comercial guys don't like the poor weekend guys who want to get in on the action - too bad!
I don’t blame them. I make a point to never fish on weekends. There are far to many stupid, drunk and arrogant weekenders on the fishing grounds for me

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

I was waiting for the show,When the day finaly arrived, it never came on,Seems that we just got the commercial not the actual show...
Uh,Dingbat we get those kind of folks everyday on the grounds!

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer

I don’t blame them. I make a point to never fish on weekends. There are far to many stupid, drunk and arrogant weekenders on the fishing grounds for me
I just turned my buddy down for this Saturday to go out on his 26' cat for opening day Striper fishing. I'm gust saying nobody ownes the ocean. I don't like the comercial guys showing contempt for the poor guy that has to work all week, and is just trying to enjoy life a little on the only two days he can. Don't forget the police stops- I don't think anyone likes to go through that. On the weekend you will probably have to. I was once stoped three times on the same day by three different jurisdictions - that cured my weekend outings.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I'm gust saying nobody ownes the ocean. I don't like the comercial guys showing contempt for the poor guy that has to work all week, and is just trying to enjoy life a little on the only two days he can.
When you have couple thousand dollars of tackle at stack contempt is easy to come by.

The poor guy that has to work all week is typically inexperienced and often lacks the knowledge to be successful. Because of the inexperience or lack of knowledge, they do not know how to play in the sand box without interfering with the actions of the other captains. They resort to chasing radio fish and using bent sonar in an effort to catch fish. They see a net come out of the rack or a rod go down and they are on you like knats. Throw in a couple of beers and common sense goes completely out the window.

Don't forget the police stops- I don't think anyone likes to go through that. On the weekend you will probably have to. I was once stoped three times on the same day by three different jurisdictions - that cured my weekend outings.
I have the boat Coast Guard inspected every year because the charity activities I participle in require it. While not a guarantee, I have not been stopped since I started this practice. They motor up, see the inspection sticker, then turn away.

Uh,Dingbat we get those kind of folks everyday on the grounds!
I agree, but their numbers increase by a factor of 10 on weekends. That?s 10 times less aggravation during the week.;)

RojoSnapper

Cadet

I've been watching this show. I love the fishing, but getting tired of all the guys trying to act up for the cameras.

Fly Rod

Commander

If they did not act up the show would be very boring...tuna fishing is the most boring fishing there is....what else is there to do on a 36 foot boat bouncing around all day

The show is based on good guy... bad guy and and Dave of tuna.com is suppose to be the bad guy...Marciarno of hard merchandise is the happy go lucky guy

Marciarno is the only full time commercial fisherman... does it for a living....the others all have other jobs....tuna.com is a pilot for Jet Blueand he does charters too

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I like the show and the "charactors" on all the boats, I would love to fish w any of them. But not for a 500+ lb juggernaut! I doubt I could reel in a 300 pounder solo.:facepalm:

nwcove

Admiral

If they did not act up the show would be very boring...tuna fishing is the most boring fishing there is....what else is there to do on a 36 foot boat bouncing around all day

The show is based on good guy... bad guy and and Dave of tuna.com is suppose to be the bad guy...Marciarno of hard merchandise is the happy go lucky guy

Marciarno is the only full time commercial fisherman... does it for a living....the others all have other jobs....tuna.com is a pilot for Jet Blueand he does charters too
commercial tuna fishing is done quite differently here, no rod and reel.....no hooks, its referred to as tuna ranching. they are caught in a purse sein, transferred to a tuna pound, fed for a month or two or three, and then they go to auction in japan. not as much fun as rod and reel, but to see 50+ bluefin in a feeding frenzy....some of which go 800lbs swimming, is quite a sight!!