How hard is to relace the starter??

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander
One thing after another!! I had a great time camping and boating this weekend, went to start the boat to go to the marina with my wife and my son his woman and her son and nothing but a high pitch whine from starter. I can easily remove seat cushin and look under the starb. side of the engine and see it as plain as day, well at least the one bolt, I tried turning the fly wheel by hand, was stiff but movable, turn the key and she just whines? Had to get towed back at the end of the weekend, didn't want to leave, still had a great weekend at our spot, despite starter going out. would like to get her ready for this weekend coming up!! seems to be easy access enough, any thing else I should know??..................................................Pat

Bondo

Staff member
Re: How hard is to relace the starter??

How hard is to relace the starter??

Ayuh,... It's only a couple of bolts,+ a few nuts,.... You decide...
Gettin TO it is usually the Problem....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

seems to be easy access enough, any thing else I should know??............................................

With boats, everything looks easy till you try it.
Let us know how long it takes you.

madurodave

Petty Officer 1st Class

A boating friend had the same thing happen to him Saturday. Finally it caught and started after he hit the solenoid a few times with a screwdriver. Please share how it goes.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Once you get it out remember to use new bolts with the new starter...;)
Sounds like you have room to get to both bolts...thats a good thing..:D

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I will definitly let you all know how difficult it is! Every week for the past 3 weeks its been something, lower unit and impeller replaced. ON THE WATER FIX> Loose wire on Elect. fuel pump,then replaced the fuel pump, slave solenoid, bilge pump wires,and now the starter, Everything is all going at once, each week some thing new, My wife says by the time I get done I will have all new parts on the engine, :rolleyes: Maybe it's not such a bad thing!

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Wow, I wish I could see mine that easily. With just looking at your picture you may be in good shape. Just hope that your bolts aren't corroded in place!

jstutz101

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same year and model of boat as you do. When replacing the spark plugs today I was thinking to myself "I hope that starter never goes bad, it looks like a B*$CH to get out."

From here on out I think I will say a little prayer when I turn the key!

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

mine is way down in a hole and can barely get arm down to it, but i can have mine out and in in about 10min, not hard as long as you can find a path to get it out.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well there's your cheap dead automotive mini starter, surely not marine rated.

Glad you can get to it, some of these boats I'm looking at look like motor removal is necessary for a starter or fuel pump replacement on a Chev V8, even spark plugs look impossible on some. :rolleyes:

myoldboat2

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks like a lot of rust back there. are you getting water in there? i had a problem with that for a while. the water would splash up and the flywheel would throw it all over the place. went through two starters in short order. they don't like getting wet.

PitchFork

Petty Officer 1st Class

It took me 5 minutes pull my starter out of a 1994 5.0L though I have long arms. The starter left us dead on the water on Sunday. Luckily we were only half mile from a ramp on the lake and my neighbor was home to come get me. We had just luanched 5 minutes before and the kids had just jumped into the tube and a no start condition was reported by just a click.

I ordered another one last night after a local rebuilder looked at mine yesterday and said it would cost around $120 to rebuild it. It looked pretty rough inside of the housing. Two of the brushes were not even hooked up to the wires and the spring that keeps them in contact with the spindle was broken. Two of the brushes were not worn down at all. The two other brushes were half the size of the non worn brushes.

I found a place online called DB Starters in TN that I purchased for around $70 that claims it is a marine starter. It comes with a 1 year warranty hopefully this is a good starter. From what I understand a marine starter has a plate inside the starter that keeps sparks from coming out and is sealed with silicone.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

Don't know anything about your motor but noticed that the bellows/boot in the picture has a hole in it. Certainly don't mean to throw sand in the wound but didn't know if you had seen that.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Don't know anything about your motor but noticed that the bellows/boot in the picture has a hole in it. Certainly don't mean to throw sand in the wound but didn't know if you had seen that.

Thats just the plastic hose from the bilge blower...it should not be cracked but not a major deal and a cheap fix...

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Ya I am starting to believe its an automotive starter too, I have the original starter off the boat and its much larger than this one, I have attached the pic of what is on the boat now and pic #2 is the origanal that the person I bought the boat off of gave me. And yes I tore a hole in the air out hose when messing with the starter on the water:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Origanal starter.jpg
    Origanal starter.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Either starter can be Marine rated,....
It doesn't matter if it's permant magnet or conventionally built....
It's the what's,+ how's on the Inside that matters,...
Btw,...
The actual Gear Reduction type starters are Explosion Proof by design,... Marine Rated....

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

So I don't need that exact starter that came with the boat, as long as its marine and made by differant manufacturers will still be OK then?? Ok thanks!!
I was thinking since I have two starters off the boat that maybe I should keep them and have them rebuilt also that way I always have a spare on hand, Humm something to think about:rolleyes: